“Went Downhill Quick”

Ranked #63 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Wilmore, Kentucky
“Went Downhill Quick”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I almost hate to write this review. This place has been our standby for the last 10 yrs. if we didn't quite feel like driving all the way home when traveling to and from the beach. We won't stay here again. Good part: the price was reasonable for a simple place to stay and the front desk service was notable. Bad part: The first room assigned to us reeked of some type of animal urine and the carpet was filthy. The second room assigned to us smelled of heavy cigar smoke, almost nauseating (we don't smoke), they did try to cover it with some type of industrial odor control. The third room assigned to us was without urine, carpet was not dirty, but had some stains, and the room smelled clean. However, the bathroom light would not work and there was mildew in the corner of the tub. We were too tired to make another change. We settled for the room. On another note, this place should be called the Red "Pet" Inn. I can only speculate, but it seemed that over half the tenants had some form of animal. You could hardly walk to the ice machine or leave your room for that matter without a dog barking. It was actually somewhat comical, at one point the parking lot became the "pooping lot." I was not aware that all God's creatures expelled at the same time when staying at the Red Pet Inn. In my humble opinion this place has gone so far downhill over the last year that we have to take it off our list of places to stay on I-75. It has most literally gone to the dogs.

Room Tip: Apparently there are no good rooms.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I stayed at this hotel several times during a two month period for business purposes. While it is a simple place and not extravagant, my room was clean and fresh smelling every time. I was comfortable and without any worries. The price is very reasonable. I travel with my dogs and there was plenty of space to walk and play with them. The grounds are well maintained and the staff is kind and thoughtful. This is not a place for fancy hotel perks. But it had what I needed. WiFi, a nice T.V., a clean room and they allowed pets. The area is close to dining and shopping for all budgets. I rated excellent because this was my experience on-site.

Room Tip: I am a non-smoker, so I asked for this type of room on the top level. It only has 3 floors, so that...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Slower than molasses service - Dirty room (floor was never vacuumed and had HAIR all over the carpet - No business center

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank washwestcc

Travellers are raving about these Knoxville hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 5 May 2012

It's very overrated based on these reviews. It's a no frills, no-tell motel, very average in the 1-2* range and nothing else. Maybe it's seen a coat of fresh paint and a better counter top in the bath area, but that's about it.. nothing to make it above average.

Location: It's not close as to the University or Downtown you might think; it's still a good 10+ miles to drive. Not bad at all, but you should just factor that in. Everything else: The WiFi (about the only service) stopped at one point, but they eventually got it fixed. There's no restaurant or services to rate.

Had I more time, I'd have kept trying to Priceline, or maybe spent a little more. Wasn't terrible - and of course, it was affordable - but it's nothing special.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Rochester Hills, MI
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Small but clean and odor free room, decent beds. We had a non-smoking room. Excellent no-frills place to stay for a night when travelling. Closest ice machine did not work but they have a second one by the office. My AARP card got me a ten dollar discount off of the already very reasonable price. I did not have a reservation. Compared to some places I've stayed (for a higher price), this hotel deserves high marks. Is it a luxury hotel -NO- but I didn't expect that it was. It did have a nice high def TV.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert H
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2012

After reading the previous reviews of this motel, we were very disappointed. The non-smoking room we were assigned wreaked of smoke - even the toilet paper and the plastic cups. The bath tub was not clean. The toilet did not flush properly.

The exterior of the building needs to be renovated. We stayed in the "superior" king room so not sure what the basic room was like.

Will not return.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms not facing the highway.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bear047
Auburn Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Stayed on 3/29/2011, our room was clean & comfortable, paid $39.95 plus tax using a coupon and it was well worth it. We told them we had a dog and they gave us a room on the ground floor near some grass that our dog found very convenient.

We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Look for a coupon as in the motel books at the welcome center.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family