“Kind and understanding”

Super 8 Knoxville Downtown Area
Ranked #72 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
“Kind and understanding”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The hotel was on the list of dog friendly hotels in the Knoxville area, it did not display a weight limit. As we were in transit, we booked through Expedia on our cell phone, Expedia evidently routes its calls through the Phillipines. I explained to the booking agent 3 times (her English was atrocious) that we had two large dogs, she concurred that this was okay, no weight limit. Upon arrival, after 12 hours of driving, the front desk clerk, Christie, informed us that there is indeed a weight limit, and a surcharge per dog. She called the owner, he okayed our stay! Thank you to both for being so kind and understanding!

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I Checked into this hotel, went to my room there was bad smell in the room. the sheets had black marks had black things on the blanket. Also the mattress was very dirty. Not a health place to stay. Also they still charge me for the first of a 5 night stay even though I did not stay in this dump. Stay clear of this hotel your health is more important.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: stay clear of this hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This review is a little old, but this is my experience at the Super 8 back in the fall.

We stayed at this hotel honestly because there were no other available rooms. We waited until the last minute to book a hotel for game day, and that was a mistake. So we snatched the last room at the Super 8, and boy did we regret it!

First, we requested a non-smoking room because my fiancé and I both have asthma. Apparently non-smoking rooms don't exist. The whole hotel WREAKS of smoke. It was so smoky that we could barely even see. So when we went back to the lobby to change rooms, the lady at the "desk" was very rude and just blew us off.

We went back to the room and looked around ... There was BLOOD smeared on the walls, the mattresses had blood splatters on them, and there was a huge chunk of hair hanging from the mattress. And the bathrooms were so disgusting that I refused to use them. I literally went to the gas station bathroom across the street. There was a used bar of soap still in the shower, and there was hair everywhere. I honestly thought I was going to vomit.

I had brought an extra set of sheets as a joke, because let's just say I'm not really a Super 8 kind of girl. Well we ended up putting them on top of the bed, and never using the blankets they provided. We left the sheets there... We were so grossed out. We also slept with our hoodies on, hoods up, socks and gloves on from the game. We didn't want a single part of our exposed skin touching the beds. I AM NOT EXAGGERATING ... THIS IS THE GROSSEST PLACE I HAVE EVER BEEN, EVER!

Looking back on it, I don't know why we even slept there. We should have just slept in our car, or driven a little down the road until we found a vacancy. But of course, there was no refund. We took pictures, called Super 8 corporate (which is Wyndham! I had no idea!) and they promised to get us a full refund. They too were disgusted when they saw the pictures. Well, after weeks of communication, they referred me to the owner. And the owner basically said that he didn't give two craps about the hotel. He's an Indian man who owns multiple Super 8's in the area. He doesn't care about the quality of his hotels, or the satisfaction of his guests.

I ended up forwarding the pictures to a local Knoxville news station... They were wanting to do an investigative piece on it. I live in Nashville, so I'm not sure if anything ever came out of it. I hope it did ... So people can see the horror of this "hotel."

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel the night of March 30/31 on our drive north from Daytona Beach to Detroit. He is a Wyndham rewards member, and we were traveling with a 6 pound dog, which is the reason we chose Super 8 which is normally pet friendly. We were told the hotel was at Exit 108 just off I75. This was a bit confusing, because two other highways ended up joining I75 for brief distances, so the exits went from 128 to into the 300’s then back down to 1 before picking up into the 100’s. Upon arrival around 8:00pm (after having left Daytona at 6:30am), my boyfriend checked in. He came back to the car saying that the clerk had basically read him the riot act about rules for the dog for ten minutes. Having not eaten dinner yet, we went to dinner and came back to the room about 9:00pm. We always check the bed/room before settling in. When my boyfriend pulled back the bedspread, there was a big white colored residue on the blanket. He immediately went down to the front desk to ask for room that was clean, and was shown a second room. That bedspread had a burn through it, and when he complained to the woman at the front desk, she basically said she would show him one more room and that was it. My boyfriend said she was extremely rude. We settled on the third room only because we were dead tired, and it was late to be driving around looking for a cleaner room. This room wasn’t in the best of shape either. Big brown water(?) stain on the bathroom ceiling tile, cracked sink, toilet paper holder that was taped together, and old beat up looking furniture. The bed was a queen size bed that had a flat (not fitted) sheet as the bottom sheet which wasn’t long enough to be tucked under the mattress, so it kept uncovering the mattress as I rolled over during the night. The bed frame was wood 2x4s that had been nailed together. In the morning we didn’t bother partaking of the free breakfast. When I peaked in just to see what they offered, it looked like some coffee cake that had been cut up and two containers of dry cereal. This is not the first Super 8 at which we have had issues, but it will be the last since we will never stay at another Super 8.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Portage, Michigan
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The staff was friendly and I thought the beds were comfy. However, all the exterior doors are left unlocked. The wifi was terrible and we could never get on it with any of our devices. The breakfast was so sparse it wasn't worth even attempting to eat. People kept walking in, complaining and just walking out.

Room Tip: Be prepared to go out for breakfast in the morning.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family