“This Hotel has everything going for it!”
Review of The Oliver Hotel

The Oliver Hotel
Ranked #6 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Lexington, Kentucky
“This Hotel has everything going for it!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel has everything going for it!
It's in a Great Location right off of Market Square: with it's cute shops and trendy restaurants, a picturesque park just a few steps away, a large bookstore, a pet boutique, coffee house, etc. The rooms are lovely: beautifully decorated and very comfy beds. The speakeasy bar serves great drinks in a fun atmosphere: try the Moscow Mule in the trademark copper mug. They even have bowls of fruit on each floor, and complimentary morning coffee in the lobby. The restaurant, Tupelo Honey, is just off the lobby. I tried them for breakfast-- delish!
But, if I were to say one thing about this hotel-- the thing that truly sets them apart from any other great hotel -- it's their service. Everyone associated with the hotel was friendly, courteous, and happy to help. Two people truly stood out and I want to mention them: A.J. at the front desk was so friendly, efficient, knowledgeable, and met every request. We were quite tired from a long drive and Deano was there to help us with our bags and get us settled in our room.
Thank you to everyone at The Oliver-- we'll be back!

Room Tip: This hotel is in a popular city area. So, you may hear some noise from the street below.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 29 May 2014

What an awesome place! I was steered toward The Oliver by a local when I was in at UT-Knoxville for an executive course last fall. I was not disappointed! From the moment I arrived, it exceeded expectations. Clean, trendy, well-decorated, character, well-appointed rooms, perfect location, even the morning coffee in the lobby was outstanding (I may have had sugarcubes for breakfast one day... don't judge). The rates weren't prohibitlvely expenisive for a trendy boutique hotel. I wasn't able to take advantage of the bikes available for guest use, but I thought this was a nice touch.

I was assisted in the reservation process by AJ, who just knocked it out of the park. Despite a busy weekend for "Biscuitfest", he was able to accomodate my reservation. AJ was also the staff member I was in contact with most througout my stay. He was a wealth of knowledge on local eateries (Knox Mason, Cru, Jig and Reel - awesome), attractions, live music (Preservation Pub), and watering holes (my favorite was the Peter Kerns Library - a 'speakeasy' co-located with the hotel... get a Moscow Mule!).

If I had to sum up the staff, I'd say they were professional, ultra-friendly, and genuine. I didn't get a sense of the fake hospitality one gets from national brand hotels. I am a frequent visitor to Tennessee and will make The Oliver my "home away from home" if my itinerary permits.

Only negative... the HVAC unit made some loud sounds (a loose grate or something). I was able to MacGyver it to stop making the noise. Not a big deal.

Of note, I used Knoxville as a staging location for some Appalachian Trail climbing/hiking... about an hour drive to/from my trailhead. Totally worth it. I drove through Gatlinburg and would gladly endure the hour drive to stay in Knoxville anyday.

This place is definitely worth a visit! I will be back (hopefully many times)!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael H
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I found this boutique hotel to be extremely convenient for a recent overnight stay. Located on Market Square, it was pleasant to enjoy a stroll before dinner. The Tupelo Honey cafe is actually located in the same historic building and was a great choice for dinner. The front desk staff were friendly and very helpful. The king suite was large for an older hotel and has been nicely updated. The bathroom was very clean with double sinks. One note--watch your fingers on the pocket door to the bathroom, ouch! Our room was on the second floor on the street, two doors down from a pub with a loud clientele. If you are a light sleeper, you should ask for an interior room.

Room Tip: Street side room on second floor was noisy.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Oliver exceeded my expectations. Each staff member we encountered was happy, helpful and eagerly responded to any request we had. Clean rooms, prompt housekeeping, awesome front desk assistance and lively yet cozy bar. Excellent location on Market Square. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Room Tip: Let reservations know why you are visiting, they will find the right room for you!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Grand Cayman
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Visiting for DI at the University. The staff were possibly the most friendly and helpful hotel staff I have ever experienced. Directions, recommendations, attentiveness, amazing. The hotel is in the perfect spot right on Market Square and has character. We had the Market Suite which was a huge 2 roomer easily accommodating our family of 4. The bedding was superbly comfortable. Great bar in reception. $7 daily parking 100 yards away. Only slight moans were that being an older building we could occasionally hear noise (shower in particular) from the neighboring room, and that being fortunate enough to have a big room right on the square it was a little noisy on Saturday night until about 1, but this was barely noticeable and does not affect my rating. Will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Loved everything about The Oliver. Clean, beds were the most comfortable we have ever slept in. Shampoos and soaps were great quality. Complimentary coffee, water and quick snacks in the lobby. The lounge was simply amazing with signature cocktails. My favorite was the Mary Bloom. I am a huge fan on lavender and they make their own signature lavender liquor. Walking distance to the Tennessee Theatre. We will be back...

• Stayed May 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 20 May 2014

I've worked at Southern Living for 16 years and stayed in some of the South's most amazing properties. The Oliver Hotel, sitting quietly in the heart of the city of Knoxville, was such a surprise. It seemed so unassuming. But it is staffed by a collection of wonderful Southern characters. Delightful at every turn. They go so far above and beyond for their guests - it has to be personal and not just a job to these folks. And a special thanks to Kevin - who was awesome!!

The hotel itself is within walking distance to all the great shops and foodie havens dotting the main square. My only complaint...not enough time to enjoy my time in Knoxville.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business