“Oliver Hotel”
Review of The Oliver Hotel

The Oliver Hotel
Ranked #4 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel is beautifully decorated, clean and quiet. Is very quaint, comfortable and has excellent staff. It was so convenient staying there for shopping and eating in Market Square, and all of the downtown area. Will definitely be staying there again!

Room Tip: We had a king suite that was very roomy for different family members visiting while we were there.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cindy H

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Quirky, stylish, located next to Market Square where music and voices last until 11:00pm or later, and trash trucks start beeping and banging at 4:00 am. Don't stay here if sleep is a priority. Thinning washcloths feel like paper towells. Speaking of towells, the raggedy edges should have consigned these to the rag bag. You think the refillable shower gel, shampoo and conditioner mounted in the wall are a good idea until you get in, get wet, and realize they are empty so you have to get out and get the little sample bottles off the vanity. Remote control needs a new battery so it will actually work from the couch. Coffee is good.

Room Tip: Ask to be as far from Market Square as possible.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 310CAL
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Enjoyed our one night stay here. Small boutique hotel in a great location. Our room was on the small side, but nicely appointed. Just steps to the square, shops and restaurants. Would definitely stay there again if visiting Knoxville.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This hotel has everything going for it!
It's in a Great Location right off of Market Square: with it's cute shops and trendy restaurants, a picturesque park just a few steps away, a large bookstore, a pet boutique, coffee house, etc. The rooms are lovely: beautifully decorated and very comfy beds. The speakeasy bar serves great drinks in a fun atmosphere: try the Moscow Mule in the trademark copper mug. They even have bowls of fruit on each floor, and complimentary morning coffee in the lobby. The restaurant, Tupelo Honey, is just off the lobby. I tried them for breakfast-- delish!
But, if I were to say one thing about this hotel-- the thing that truly sets them apart from any other great hotel -- it's their service. Everyone associated with the hotel was friendly, courteous, and happy to help. Two people truly stood out and I want to mention them: A.J. at the front desk was so friendly, efficient, knowledgeable, and met every request. We were quite tired from a long drive and Deano was there to help us with our bags and get us settled in our room.
Thank you to everyone at The Oliver-- we'll be back!

Room Tip: This hotel is in a popular city area. So, you may hear some noise from the street below.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

What an awesome place! I was steered toward The Oliver by a local when I was in at UT-Knoxville for an executive course last fall. I was not disappointed! From the moment I arrived, it exceeded expectations. Clean, trendy, well-decorated, character, well-appointed rooms, perfect location, even the morning coffee in the lobby was outstanding (I may have had sugarcubes for breakfast one day... don't judge). The rates weren't prohibitlvely expenisive for a trendy boutique hotel. I wasn't able to take advantage of the bikes available for guest use, but I thought this was a nice touch.

I was assisted in the reservation process by AJ, who just knocked it out of the park. Despite a busy weekend for "Biscuitfest", he was able to accomodate my reservation. AJ was also the staff member I was in contact with most througout my stay. He was a wealth of knowledge on local eateries (Knox Mason, Cru, Jig and Reel - awesome), attractions, live music (Preservation Pub), and watering holes (my favorite was the Peter Kerns Library - a 'speakeasy' co-located with the hotel... get a Moscow Mule!).

If I had to sum up the staff, I'd say they were professional, ultra-friendly, and genuine. I didn't get a sense of the fake hospitality one gets from national brand hotels. I am a frequent visitor to Tennessee and will make The Oliver my "home away from home" if my itinerary permits.

Only negative... the HVAC unit made some loud sounds (a loose grate or something). I was able to MacGyver it to stop making the noise. Not a big deal.

Of note, I used Knoxville as a staging location for some Appalachian Trail climbing/hiking... about an hour drive to/from my trailhead. Totally worth it. I drove through Gatlinburg and would gladly endure the hour drive to stay in Knoxville anyday.

This place is definitely worth a visit! I will be back (hopefully many times)!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I found this boutique hotel to be extremely convenient for a recent overnight stay. Located on Market Square, it was pleasant to enjoy a stroll before dinner. The Tupelo Honey cafe is actually located in the same historic building and was a great choice for dinner. The front desk staff were friendly and very helpful. The king suite was large for an older hotel and has been nicely updated. The bathroom was very clean with double sinks. One note--watch your fingers on the pocket door to the bathroom, ouch! Our room was on the second floor on the street, two doors down from a pub with a loud clientele. If you are a light sleeper, you should ask for an interior room.

Room Tip: Street side room on second floor was noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Oliver exceeded my expectations. Each staff member we encountered was happy, helpful and eagerly responded to any request we had. Clean rooms, prompt housekeeping, awesome front desk assistance and lively yet cozy bar. Excellent location on Market Square. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Room Tip: Let reservations know why you are visiting, they will find the right room for you!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends