“Pleasantly surprised and happy I decided to break from my usual chain hotel.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Oliver Hotel

The Oliver Hotel
Ranked #6 of 87 Hotels in Knoxville
“Pleasantly surprised and happy I decided to break from my usual chain hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Great boutique hotel, awesome caring staff in the perfect location. The staff remembered my name the entire stay and always asked if I needed anything. They made me feel like I was a regular when it was my first stay there! As a business traveler, it actually means a lot to stay somewhere that isn't cookie cutter. It's an old boutique hotel with its quirks but that's what makes it unique. There is also a cool speakeasy behind a sliding door in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2014
      Cleanliness
1 Thank jamesvice

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

Having lived in Knoxville my entire life I've had little reason to pay much attention to the Oliver. I had always glanced through the immense glass door to the hotel and wondered what the inside was like. Being someone who loves historical buildings and needing a romantic getaway, I booked a room and I am so happy I did. Everything about the place is just charming. The room was very quaint, cozy and clean. I found the bathroom to be both beautiful and functional and the hotel bar, The Peter Kern Library, may just one of Knoxville's best kept little secrets. Being on Market Square the hotel is convenient to entertainment and dining and is absolutely perfect for couples and friends needing a fun change of place. Overall, what a wonderful place!

Sleep Quality
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

The Oliver is a charming boutique hotel with an amazing staff who does all they can to make your stay special. It is a great location for walking on Market Square and visiting the restaurants,museums and other Knoxville sights. Our double room was large and nicely furnished, though the furniture is starting to wear a bit. After we unpacked we realized that we had a shower for the disabled with a shower head that was difficult to adjust; we didn't ask for a change because we had already settled in. The Kern library/bar has comfy sofas; drink lists are bound in old copies of the World Book encyclopedia. Our room was supposed to be quiet but it was right on Market Square, which often has outdoor music at night; we heard other music but couldn't figure out where it came from. . Every room probably hears the noise. All in all I would recommend the Oliver as a charming boutique hotel, as long as you don't mind being "entertained" by the music.

Room Tip: Ask to be as far from Market Square as possible (not sure it will make a difference, though)
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Chicago, Il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed at the Oliver in May 2014. This is a quite stylish hotel with some unique, if not quirky, features. The location is excellent, being in a nice part of downtown Knoxville. However, our room was not large, and had no place to open a suitcase, except by lying it on the King bed or across the only chair in the room--not good. A lamp on the desk was not plugged in as its cord could not reach any functioning outlet. Bathroom was small but well appointed. Bar in the hotel was pretty unique and the cocktail menu was fun. Overall, 3.5 stars--just make sure you get a decent sized room or otherwise be unable to move about your room.

Room Tip: Make sure room is large enough to open your luggage.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FairBalanced
Macon, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

After checking into another hotel in Knoxville where my stay was less than desirable, I called the Oliver to see if they could accommodate my daughter and me. They were so helpful and said they could have my room ready as soon as I was ready. Since we were already for bed in the other hotel, I told them we would be there the following morning. At 8:00 a.m. they had our room ready!

The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were comfortable and beautiful. The Tupelo Honey Cafe was delicious! And be sure to check out the Oliver's cool bar. Gorgeous!

I love a boutique hotel and can't wait to bring my husband for a quick weekend getaway!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

AJ and Kevin were great hosts. The service and hotel were way above our expectations. The Oliver has been updated in all the right areas while leaving in tact the charm of an old hotel. conveniently located right down town within walking distance of amazing clubs and restaurants. We will definitely be back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Excellent hotel at a great value. The entire downtown experience was great. We had an amazing dinner, caught a show and woke up the next morning to take in the farmer's market. For anyone who hasn't been to downtown Knoxville, I suggest you give it a try.

• Stayed August 2014