“Don't go!!”

Big Bear Extended Stay & Suites
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kodak
Big Bear Extended Stay & Suites
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Kodak
Abingdon, Virginia
“Don't go!!”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

I got this room via hotwire (HOTWIRE REFUNDED MY MONEY) and it was listed in the same group as Holiday Inn Express and Country Inn Suites. When I pulled up to the place I was extremely worried because of the POOR lighting and the overall shady look of the place. I decided to go check out the room since I had gotten the room via hotwire and I assumed that it was non-refundable.

When I walked into the room my first thought was "wonder how many times this room has been used for a meth lab?". There is no way that the room had been updated in over 25yrs. The walls had faux wood paneling (circa 1960's-70's). The mirror had some hardened gray subtance splattered all over it, and the 2 chairs looked as if they were pre-1980 as well. The fridgerator was fairly new since it had a stainless steel look.

I immediately went to the front desk (which is in the Quality Inn located in front of the Bear Extended stay) and informed them that I had been mislead by the star-rating on hotwire.com (2.5 stars). I had my family with me and I wouldn't feel safe staying there. The front desk disagreed with my assesment of the situation and informed me to contact hotwire if I wanted a refund. So I took my family and we drove home (2hr drive) and drove back the next day to continue our vacation.

WARNING- The pic on this site of the kitchen is not the kitchen in this motel.

I am very suspicious of the positive reviews, I would assume that they are associated with the motel.

Also, I have used hotwire.com's bidding process many times and their star-ratings have always been very accurate. Hotwire refunded my money after me explaining the situation and verifying with the hotel my check-in/check-out times. So Hotwire is still awesome in my book, I just wish I had called them right then instead of waiting until I drove home (I had 2 sleeping kids and was frustrated).

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank 3rdDiazBro
kodakbear, General Manager at Big Bear Extended Stay & Suites, responded to this review, 16 February 2011
We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your comments and will use them to improve our accommodations so that all of our guests have a pleasant stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
dallas
Reviewed 4 September 2010

Big Bear is behind a Quality Inn with same management and you check in with Quality Inn personnel. We were given keys and upon driving back commented it looked as if the Big Bear was closed. There were two cars in the parking lot. The windows in most of the rooms were dirty and looked as if the unit was closed. We opened our room door to find the room was musty, stuffy and the air conditioning was not on. My wife did not feel comfortable and pulled the blanket and sheet back to expose silverfish. We called the clerk at the Quality Inn and he offered to give us another room. We called our booking agent and left immediately.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank bstdflsh
Vero Beach, FL
Reviewed 5 January 2010

My husband and I visit the East Tennessee area several times a year and have found the main parkway area just to congested anymore. The location of Big Bear is easy to get to and out of the congestion. We found the close proximity to I-40 to be an advantage as we did travel into Knoxville and the Tri-Cities area. Plus, the location is still very near all the Smoky Mountain area has to offer without feeling your staying in gridlock. The staff is friendly, the rooms are clean and comfortable and you will be amazed at the weekly rate. We will be staying again in the spring.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank livelaughlovegive
GA
Reviewed 8 December 2009

Great place to stay! The staff is very friendly and helpful. The highlight of the day is going down for breakfast. Loved the waffles, and all of the wonderful choices we had for breakfast. The free internet made it easy to keep up with my e-mail. The room was nice, clean and the bed was very comfortable. We enjoyed a wonderful relaxing weekend. It was like being at home. Will be visiting again when it gets warmer.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HuggyGa
Goshen Indiana
Reviewed 13 October 2009

We have stayed at Big Bear several times and the service has been outstanding from checkin to checkout.. Ask any of the housekeepers for something and you will have it within minutes. Helpful Breakfast Room staff even started my waffles one stay. Always helpful with directions and always very polite and respectful. Everyone has made us feel very much at home like we are one of them instead of tourists. The rooms have always been very clean and have a hairdryer, iron, microwave, and refrigerator. Also, if you forget, shampoo and rinse is provided also. You can also ask the front desk if you forget your toothbrush and one will be provided. The location is fantastic--close to Interstate 40 to go to Knoxville or to Biltmore in NC and Highway 66 to head into Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, or Gatlinburg. The thing I liked the least was that we have never had the time to relax in the "rockers" outside in the circle to watch the beautiful scenery. Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we have. Chuck & Karen Youngman from Indiana

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple