“Cool place for hiking”

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Cool place for hiking”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stopped here for a quick trip before catching a flight in Managua. There is a nice new visitor center and a road leading up to the main lookout point. Seeing the steam rise out of the volcano is very cool, and there are some nice hikes in the park with great views. We were only there about an hour and I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Thought there would be more....”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I didn't have too high of hopes starting out as I saw pictures of steam coming out of a hole surrounded by a cement wall. That's pretty much what you get and a small museum if you want to get a history lesson. I think it would have been more exciting then just seeing some smoke but then again I saw some more impressive volcanos in other parts of Nicaragua and Costa Rica. Go if this is your only volcano to see.

Little Rock, Arkansas
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“Cool Experience”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My family and I went to see the Volcano as part of our tour package. Standing at the crater of a volcano that could explode any moment was a very cool experience. Our guide shared a lot of information about the volcano and it's history.

They only allow you to be at the crater for 5 minutes for safety reasons. You can smell the sulfur and it is very hard to see into the crater because there is so much smoke but regardless standing next to an active volcano crater is a must. My son continued all day to say it was the highlight of his trip and that he had to tell all his friends about it.

Istanbul, Turkey
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Definitely worth visiting if you have not seen a volcano before”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I've taken a Masaya classical trip with Eric Tours. As I was alone, I had to pay 40$, but I do not regret that. Go with a group though to get it for cheaper. All by myself, I got VIP service :-). They drove me to the volcano national park and up to the crater, which was good as the area is open and it is extremely sunny with NO SHADE. The guide, Albert, was very knowledgable about the geological formations of the region and about the volcano.
Make sure that you have sunscreen as even by the crater, you are still in the open area. Be careful if you have lung problems. I have spring allergies, but even that made it a bit hard for my lungs. Although the wind was blowing in a different direction, so I did not really feel sulfur, but seeing the changing colors from pink to grey to white to a mix was so wonderful! The story of the cross was quite funny too.
By the crater, you already get some incredible views, but when you hike on an inactive volcano, the views are amazing! By the way, make sure that you have proper shoes as even in my running ones I kept sliding down.
After the volcanos we went to a cave where we saw bats, it was a bit spooky but fun experience. Also, I saw some parakeets and other beautiful birds- so the experience was really worth it for me!
If you are in the region, do the Masaya volcano!

Allen, Texas
66 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Breathtaking (literally) !!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

A surreal and amazing experience!
All visitors must sign a waiver at ticket office upon entry and are given written security regulations for the crater area. One fee for Nicaraguan's, one fee for tourists ($5 US p.p.) denoted by different colour wristbands. On days of high activity, helmets and/ or gas masks may also be issued.
Distance to the Santiago Crater from the park entrance is 7km. Remember to stop and look at the massive rock (roadside) which was spewed from the crater many years ago.
It was a little bit scary but very exciting, to peer over the edge of an crater actively emitting sulphur dioxide gas - there is no way this would EVER be allowed in Australia or similar country!! Luckily the wind was blowing the gas away from where we were standing but the fumes were certainly detectable, 5-10 minutes is enough (5 mins is recommended) before nostrils & throat start being affected.
Night tours are also available where the red glow of molten lava can be seen deep in the crater - check availability @ park office.