“Very pleased.”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Masaya
Florence, South Carolina
“Very pleased.”
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

After reading some negative reviews of this motel, I was very skeptical but didn't have another choice as I had to stay with the group I was traveling with and these were the chosen accommodations. Let me say that I was very pleased with this motel. The desk clerk is bilingual, the rooms are extremely clean and are thoroughly cleaned daily, the breakfast was good, the a/c is cold and very reliable! The room attendants were so pleasant and helpful. The room always smelled so fresh and clean. We stayed a total of 5 nights and paid less for all 5 than I pay for 1 night in a US motel/hotel. Definitely worth the money. It's a little off the beaten path, as are many sites in Masaya, but we always felt safe and secure. Would definitely stay here again if the chance were presented.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Rebecca T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Don't stay here. Although their website claims otherwise, the staff is not bilingual, the rooms are beat up and grimy, breakfast is not included, there's no 24 hour room or bar service, and wifi access is spotty at best. This may have been a nicer hotel at some point in the past, but it's not someplace you'd want to stay today. The staff isn't particularly helpful either and in the afternoon when we returned to the hotel we had to ring the bell repeatedly to get let in as it turns out the receptionist was taking a nap in room #4.

There is a hostel a few blocks away closer to the main square that looks like it would be a much better place to stay. I'd recommend you consider all other options before staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank tricky2171

Travellers are raving about these Masaya hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The hotel manager does not seem to car about clients. She is very aloof. The room we got did not have a window, the air conditioning was not working and the water pressure for the shower was only a trickle. The pool that is supposed to be present is only «in the plans» and I think it has been there for along time. I found the price of 40$ way to high for the kind of accomodation and service we got during our 2 days stay. Avoid this hotel if you can !

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ReneMontreal_Quebec
Nicaragua
Reviewed 24 June 2011

This hotel is not what it claims to be. It is WAY overpriced for what it is and where it is. These prices do not even include breakfast, which was fairly expensive for this area.

The rooms were generally clean, including the beds, but there was a gap in the door jam so I could see outside and anyone who wanted to peek in, could have done so. The showers were cold, which can be expected in Nicaragua. They have the widow-maker shower heads (electric ones that sometimes shock you) so be careful!! The AC didn't work well (never got cool).

We asked for bottled water one day as we were taking a day trip to another town and without us knowing, they filled empty bottles with water and sold them to us without telling us what they did. Very dishonest!! We found out later when we realized the seals were broken. When we returned and asked the lady about it, she tried to tell us that no one touched the water, but then the man working there told her to refund us. This is terrible business--you don't mess with the water!

A better option in Masaya: Madera's Inn (http://www.hotelmaderasinn.com/en/bienvenidos.php). Call for the prices, as they were cheaper than what was listed on the internet. We paid $35 for 2 full size beds, cable TV, AC, bathroom, and the hotel has wi-fi. Nice people, clean, and safe.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank seetheworld032
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Where do I begin .. well as a business owner & business analyst for a major financial instituion in the US, I really was expecting a bit more from this hotel given its advertisement and photos and room types (which by the way if you visit their website, those pictures are not updated, so travelers beware). Our first issue was that we were told there is internet access, which is inacurrate, they just have WI-Fi which at times was difficult to connect due to poor internet connectivity. Second offense was that we had issues with the hot water. There are electrical wires hanging from the top of the shower head and believe it or not sometimes we got a small shock turning off the water, not the safest place for that type of equipment considering I had to bathe my 10 month old son in that shower. The owner and her son were not the friendliest of the bunch, which struck me as weird given that they lived in NY for quite awhile and would have learned some type of basic business ettiquete. Go figure. However the housekeeping crew, night watchman and night manager (not related to the family) were friendly, kind and well mannerd. Always saying good morning and asking us what they can do to make our stay more pleasurable. Needless it helped. We were happy the small things. Now lets get to the UGLY .. Traveler beware: When I ordered drinks such as water, coke and an occasionally beer the prices seamed to increase. Example one night I bought a bottle water for $16 Cordobas which is like .75 to the dollar. The next night I bought the same thing and was charged a full dollar which is $22.10 in Cordobas.. I didnt question it because, well I somethimes understand the underhandiness of our people. I leanred my lesson and didnt buy anything anymore from there. That is unethical by any standards. Here is the best .. in my parents room .. as he was putting on his pants in the AM he had a LIVE SCORPION! Which is common in Nicaragua if you live in a farm or have fire wood nearby. The official reply from the owner was, the cleaning crew does not clean the drawers in the room. Again I had a 10 month old son, that was a problem and that tipped the scale for me as to why I would not recommend this to a family. Perhaps if your roughing it out this might work out for those type of travelers but not a family. I would suggest Granada. As for the good .. simple whenleft we didn't have to put up with all the things mentioned above. In closing, I know this was not a luxery hotel and we were not expecting a 4 or 5 star place. I have visited many other hotels in Nicaragua and by comparison this one needs improvement by the owners, basic infrastructure and integity for the travelers. We paid a good price of $35 a night compared to what they advertised and what they charge other travelers, but again do your homework and ask for updated photos and ask what you get for the price you get quoted. Definitly not a $55-$75 dollar hotel.

Room Tip: A room with no scorpion in it ..
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Chimera79
Annapolis
Reviewed 27 March 2010

I will never stay in this place again nor would I ever recomend it to anybody. The second time I went to Masaya, a local told me to try this place. The price was outrageous! $75 per night for a double with no hot water, no drinking water, no internet and the room wasn't very clean. They charge you as if it were a luxury hotel but it's missing all the luxuries. After a one night horrible experience there, I took my family to a place we had been to before, Hotel California, where the service was excellent. We had everything that Ivania's had for a price of just $10 per night. Hotel California is 20 mts al Norte de la Curacao in Masaya and there are many other good hotels on the same street.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank spcarmody
USA
Reviewed 17 July 2008

We went there in July and had the worst customer service ever!! We got there at night after having reserved and paid up front for a group of 6. We arrived and the manager showed us our room. We pulled in the car to private parking and had to drag all of our luggage to the very back of the hotel. We went in, turned on the AC, which was broken. Then the TV didn't have a remote control and the buttons on the TV were missing. This was July in low season... we complained to the manager and she told us that she realized that she gave us a malfunctioning room and that she could accomodate us in other rooms but since these rooms were more expensive that we would have to pay more $ on top! Unbelievable! The hotel had no other guests, it was around 10pm and told us that if we didn't pay then we should leave!!! Never again! Please don't stay there! Places with Managers such as her, shall disappear.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank yamixtra
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masaya
Madera's Inn
#7 of 9 in La Laguna de Apoyo
Hotel Yayabo
Hotel Yayabo
#6 of 18 in Masaya

Been to Hotel Ivania's? Share your experiences!