“Not what I hoped for....”
Review of Ballyportry Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Corofin
Ballyportry Castle
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The location of Ballyportry Castle is fairly easy to find and it's an easy drive to many local attractions. We had no trouble finding places to eat and shop and the people in the area were friendly and helpful.
Arriving at the Ballyportry Castle you are greeted with its magnificence and yet simple design. This tall, 15th century box style, castle is imposing and beautiful at the same time. I could only imagine how it must have appeared to travelers in its prime.
Entering the castle, first through the metal gate on the exterior wall (which can be locked from the inside for your security at night) then through the large wooden door resting on ancient stone hinges, you will pass a small bathroom to the right and the base of the spiral staircase on the left. You will next the enter the main dining room and then the kitchen. There is a fireplace with a working stove/fireplace on the right of the dining room. Several bookshelves hold book and games left by previous visitors, some going back 30 years or more. The kitchen has all the modern (albeit, some older than others) amenities except for a microwave. Everything was in working order when we arrived.
Tip: You should be safe and wash all the silverware, dishes, cookware materials and counters before using them to prepare food.
There is electricity from the town power lines and running water which is provided by a small stream/brook nearby via a hose laid in the water with a filter assembly on the end to keep excess contaminates from clogging the line with water pump by the rear of the castle. We were told to buy water for drinking and cooking and only use the running water for washing and bathing. When I saw a local herd of cows that were up-stream drinking I decided to follow the advice. I questioned brushing my teeth with water from the faucet more than once during our stay.
The spiral staircase can be dizzying to walk up and down at first but navigating it becomes easier over time. Be careful for the section of center post on the stairs that is missing. It doesn't affect the structural integrity of the stairs but it was disconcerting at first sight.
Tip:There is some interesting carved artwork in the window still after the first bedroom that isn't kid friendly, but it does have an intriguing history based in Irish/Gaelic lore.
The first bedroom is smaller than the largest but still bigger than most hotel rooms. It has its own shower, sink and toilet. There are 3 smaller bedrooms with beds and lights as you continue to ascend the stairwell. Navigating the staircase you will find another large bedroom the is positioned over the first bedroom. The floor is wood on he upper bedroom and whoever is in the first bedroom can hear every single sound from the upper bedroom.
There are three toilets, two showers and two kitchens total in the castle. Each kitchen can be stocked for limited use at your initial booking, if you so like, for an extra charge. Any other supplies you want can be purchased at the local stores that are only a short drive away.
The most impressive room in the castle is the grand living room on the top floor. Two pull out futons and a grand fireplace add to the splendor as a cathedral ceiling greets you overhead. Words don't do it justice.
Now for the negative.
We were immediately aware of the abundance of old and new cobwebs throughout the entire castle. Some looked like stalactites hanging from the ceilings. Old grease from years of people cooking coated every surface above the counters. For nearly 3,400 euro we were expecting a LOT better in upkeep and cleanliness. As we knew the castle was from the Middle Ages, we expected some cobwebs but not for it to look like an old Bela Lugosi horror movie. The counters in the downstairs kitchen were filthy with dust and grease. There was grease residue on the chains that hold the pots over the stove and even the pots were greasy enough to leave smears when I ran my fingers over them. This isn't 'oil the cast iron' oil, it was just plain greasy. The bathrooms looked to have not been cleaned in at least a month although I'm not sure if it had been a month from the last guests. We actually called the building manager to have the cleaning woman to come and clean. The cleaning woman did come and did do some limited cleaning but said that she couldn't clean effectively because the walls and ceiling would crumble.....to which I thought 'how can it be safe to inhabit if it's too fragile to be cleaned properly.' To be honest, her reasoning sounded like the excuses of a lazy housekeeper. My traveling party didn't let this dampen our vacation. We just decided to think of it as 'more authentic' medieval living and set ourselves to a little house cleaning before we used anything.
The upper bathroom has a shower that is awkward yet simple to use. The shower curtain sat to the outside of the stone tub and as a result the water falls outside the tub to the floor. We used the provided towels to clean up the mess but twice the spillage was enough to leak through the bathroom floor to the floor below. This is unavoidable if you take a normal shower and even attempting to move carefully and with small movements didn't help. Again, there were cobwebs abound but these were more recent. Often I found myself showering with the actual spiders that made them. Yes....I screamed like a girl the first time. It happened enough that they were actually crawling on me while I showered that I got over my arachnophobia by the end of the vacation.
Some more good for you:
Outside the castle the surrounding lands are quiet, beautiful and serene. The closest neighbor we never saw and, other than the occasional visit from a herd of cattle across the creek, we were alone. There is access to the top of the castle through a very small door over the top of the grand living room. It is a sight to behold and the sunrises and sunsets were worth all the crawling spiders to see.
If you do stay, make sure you close the gate to the road and close the metal gate to the castle wall to deter any tourists who might think the castle is open to visitors and tours. More than once we had to turn people away, explaining to them that we were also tourists who had rented the property.
Elaine is the building manager ( as of the time of this review) and is very knowledgable about the surrounding lands and sights. She knows the local stories and legends and is adept at weaving a tale. Elaine is also a capable cook. For a price, you can request a home cooked meal to be prepared and served by Elaine (and her mother). I found Elaine to be most pleasant and polite and is a credit to the experience.
I loved the experience but I would NOT stay at Ballyportry Castle again simply due to the (in my opinion) unsanitary and unhealthy conditions I found. For the price we paid our traveling party thought it should have been MUCH cleaner and better kept. If I want another Irish vacation I'll find another castle and do more research before to make sure I'm not bathing the native spider population when I shower. In this humble travelers opinion, the negatives outweighed the positives, but just by a small margin.
As always, Happy Traveling.

Room Tip: Pick another castle. This one need a visit from 'Mr. Clean'!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Justin G

Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed in many castles in Europe (Clytha, Comlongon, Muckrach, Ehrenburg, Gutenfels and many more), but this one was the nicest. It has a very authentic atmosphere, while offering modern amenities. Elaine, the local host is great! Such a talented lady with a huge knowledge of the Celtic history. The location us great. As a bonus we got the best weather Ireland offered in the last decade. Would come back any time.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank flying_dutchman_US
Reviewed 21 August 2012

We had a wonderful week at Ballyportry.
The wow effect on seeing the tower appear on the skyline was great.
Colleen did a marvellous job as greeter/manager/concierge.
The rooms are all special and very comfortable. The fantasic sunset views from the top are worth the climb and you soon get used to the stone steps.
I have not seen so many stars at night since I was sailing way out at sea.
Would recommend it highly for those seeking a special authentic, unforgettable and romantic experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dublinois
Reviewed 30 January 2012

If you are looking to rent your very own castle, this is it! Ballyportry takes you back in time with its six stories and amazing Ireland views from the cat walk of the castle. Every room is perfectly appointed and provides comfort and ambiance despite the medieval presence of an authentic 500 year old castle. My friends and I plan on returning this year and booking the castle for an entire week this year. Corafin is a good central location to travel from daily and is a true Irish town with a great restaurant, Boffy Quinn's where the food is fabulous and live, autentic Irish music is played on some evenings. Marianna made us a fabulous 4 course meal of lamb for my 50th birthday dinner with local Muenster cheeses as we relaxed with our wine by the fireplace. I'm just afraid everyone is going to discover this awesome experience and I won't be able to get a reservation again. Please feel free to contact me if you have questions via email jkdemartini@hotmail.com. I have attached pictures that I think will give you a very good idea of the experience you will have. Keep in mind that the ancient stone spiral staircase is the only way up and down so if you have very young children and those with mobility issues, there is no alternative to the staircase.

Room Tip: All the rooms belong to you. There are eight to choose from. There are two very large rooms with...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank JanDeMartini
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My husband and I got married along the Cliffs of Moher this past summer and we stayed here with half of our wedding guests. We can't stop talking about it!! It was AWESOME... absolutely the coolest. The authenticity is astounding, but beware: this is NOT a Disney World Castle!! It's grandeur is incredible, and while it has been updated and has electricity and running water, it's not for the weak-hearted. For example, I was fine with a freezing cold shower on the morning of my wedding day, it added to the charm, but it's definitely not for everyone. Marianne, Siobhan, the furnishings, the roof, the grounds, the neighbors, the great room, the little town of Corofin where it's located - were all absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing your home with us!!

Room Tip: The room with the water bed was wonderful (b/c it was heated), BUT don't even bother to try usin...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Vegg1eStar
Reviewed 9 July 2011

As you can imagine, renting a castle for a holiday has some cachet to it. But of course, you have to temper your expectations. No way it will love up to your excitement level...right? Well...Ballyportry does. (And more!)

Of course, that might depend on your idea of "castle". If you have a realistic idea of how luxurious" Middle Ages castle living would have actually been...well, don't worry, you'll feel quite lucky. (Yet find the mere experience insightful in some senses. Such as how you can hear just about everything in the rooms above and below you...) If you're a 5-star hotel kind of traveler...this probably isn't for you. The castle is well kitted out, but it is also charmingly rustic. (For us it was just right.)

My only regret is that we only had a week. It just seems not enough time to soak up all the time-spending I could happily do there. You could skip almost everything there is to see in the area and still be happy, just because it's so lovely to hang out with your family in your very own castle. Few things can beat standing atop "your own castle" and admiring the emerald views that stretch out before you. Or the stars at night...

All in all, you'll leave the place feeling like it's "yours" in a certain way...and that consequently goes for Ireland too.

I don't want to give too much away, so I'll stop here. (Feel free to PM me with questions.) But Ballyportry just made for a vacation that will stand out in everyone's memory, and I am positive some of us will certainly be back in future years.

Room Tip: Wooden floors/ceilings = noisier rooms. Ones with stone are much quieter. Note that not all the heav...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank ptesinge
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I planned the trip a year in advance and wanted to stay in a “castle.” After much searching for just the right place, I discovered Ballyportry. The excitement of our arrival to Ballyportry was ear splitting!! There were 8 of us raging from 5 to 77 and we all delighted in the castle. It was just exceptional from start to end. The great room was wonderful to all meet in at the end of the day and talk over our adventures. Climbing up and out to the roof for star gazing was indeed and adventure! You can't help but feel enveloped in a timeless experience while walking the grounds. One of the many memories we will always have (and photos) is a carving near a window on the stairs of a woman this is in a bit of provocative pose and naked. You wouldn't really notice it unless you were a 5 year old girl. Needless to say our little "Princess" dressed her every day with her paper doll clothes!
The location is great for day trips and very convenient to local markets and restaurants. Marianna (the castle host) gave us great information and a lovely tea upon arrival. We took her advice and went to Loop Head Cliffs instead of Cliffs of Mohr. Breathtaking and no one around! Doolin is a must see and very convenient to drive. The Burren is in your backyard and an amazing place to discover. We will never forget our "turf" fires in the stove as you enter in the castle. This was the best way to experience the real Ireland from days gone by and yet enjoy the modern conveniences of today.
We went in early June and only had 1 day of light rain. We had no crowds of tourists and school had not let out for the summer. We really felt like we were alone in Ireland.
Go, and experience the magic of Ballyportry!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Gigglebelly

Been to Ballyportry Castle? Share your experiences!