“finding Irish ancestors in Clare” 5 of 5 bubbles

Clare Heritage Centre
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Corofin
Darwin, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“finding Irish ancestors in Clare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I recently visited the Clare Family Heritage Centre. I spent time with Antoinette at the Centre examining records that related to my Irish ancestors - two brothers who had set off from Clare a hundred or so years earlier. I found Antoinette to be a first class researcher – keen to ensure accurate interpretation of the records and to provide - if possible - a narrative of my ancestral family's relations, land and history rather than simply birth/death events. Shortly after my return to Australia, I received a comprehensive written report profiling my Irish family connections including copies of relevant original records.
Sure it’s a small village location, but the Corofin Clare Heritage Centre is as busy as….! It’s a non-profit, community-based organisation with mostly volunteer labour and minimal resources, and I think they are doing an amazing job with those very precious records. To really make the most of your visit to the Centre, do as much preliminary work as you can and contact them well before you visit to make an appointment. You won’t be disappointed.

2 Thank Jeannie880

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Recent helpful visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

My sister and I went to the centre without an appointment and we were able to meet with Antoinette OBrien. We were looking for a connection to our grandfather, who had the very common Clare name of McMahon. Antoinette asked us many questions and said she would email us by morning if she found any information, as we only had one more day in Clare. Antoinette emailed that evening that she had found our grandfather. We met with her the next morning and she had done some excellent research work. She directed us to the area where our grandfather was raised and we were able to visit the area and the church where they were baptized. We look forward to learning more about our family when we receive the complete report and hope to visit again. We are very grateful to Antoinette for her extraordinary effort and will treasure the memory of the day we visited Slieve Anore.

Melbourne, Australia
“Right place for Clare ancestry results”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Visited the centre just over 3 years ago with details from my great grandparents marriage certificate.They actually married in Australia but one was from Clare.Atoinette & her staff got onto the job & within 6 months forwarded me a detailed dossier on my paternal ancestry[which is what I was seeking].From this information I was able to trace a relative of same generation as myself in Ireland.I recently returned to Ireland & met him.He was able to show me the original home sites of my G Grandfather & my GG Grandmother as he was raised in the area.This was a highly successful venture as that is what I originally set out to achieve.

Canberra
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent source for Irish family history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

On our a family history visit to Ireland, my 84 year old mother and I found the Clare Heritage Centre a very useful resource. With the help of Antoinette O'Brien and her staff we were able locate the workhouse, townlands, baptismal church records and family paupers grave relating to our ancestor who came out to Australia as an Irish orphan girl. The Centre also has a wonderful small museum nearby.

Visited December 2012
New Jersey
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Lovely, Super Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Showed up unannounced with a few family members to try to get some information about where cousins we'd met once before lived - was able to use the phone in the center to call the cousins, got directions to their town, made some great connections from this very location. The lady we worked with the most, Ann, was incredible friendly, patient and helpful. Thank you for helping us make connections and create a very memorable vacation for us all!

Visited September 2013