“Quin abbey”

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Quin abbey”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Excellent spot for those travelers that like the less crowded ruins. The OPW staff was extremely friendly, even posed for a photo, and provided us with a great historical overview of the abbey, castle and nearby church. You are free to roam around here and take your time and please do so as there are a lot of hidden little pockets to explore. Definitely worth a visit.

Visited August 2014

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The arm of Jesus”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We visited in June and experienced the very knowledgable caretaker. However, he became very excited when I mentioned the arm of Jesus which appears on a stuccoed wall. It's referenced in Quin Abbey by Siobhan O'Sullivan, a copy I got at the Abbey Tavern.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jim B
Ballina, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“local youths ruined visit”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

On visiting the abbey my children and I were approached by about 5 local youths one with red hair who verbally abused us and made very intimidating actions. When we ignored them and walked away the "m other" who was me was again verbally abused and when I looked them in the eye one pulled down his trousers and showed me his bottom. My daughter was crying at this stage. I was then called a nasty word an,given the finger. When we got to the car I thought the red haired one was going to kick it. Will never visit Quin again. Its a pity cos the Abbey looked lovely.

14 Thank Ann F
Berlin, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Structure, Terrible Staff”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

A resident of both Ireland and the United States, I've been traveling in the Republic of Ireland for most of my life and have visited most tourist and historic sites in the country. Quin Abbey is a standout in terms of accessibility and preservation. As close as it is to Craggaunowen and the Ennis Friary, it's certainly a "must see", especially with free admission. It is worth noting in advance that this is holy ground with an active cemetery, and proper decorum should be observed by visitors.

The only drawback to this location is the curator, who has been rude to me and my family (including small children) over the years. Why he is still employed there is a mystery. Absent his presence, Quin Abbey rates four stars.

7 Thank Keith T
SF Bay Area
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Beautiful Old Abbey”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stopped here at the end of our week in Ireland on the way from The Burren back to the Shannon area. It was a slight detour off our route, but very much worth the slight diversion. We got there around 6:00 so were not able to get inside (closed at 4:00) but the views around the outside were outstanding. We were able to peek inside and I don't think we missed much. The outside is definitely what you go there for. The view as you approach the abbey from the parking area is fabulous. It was one of the best all around great old abbeys to photograph.