“Brilliant hotel as a base for a holiday in Donegal”
Review of Villa Rose Hotel

Villa Rose Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Roscommon, Ireland
“Brilliant hotel as a base for a holiday in Donegal”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my mother as part of an active retirement group (1428 club, Mullingar). When we arrived we were given tea/coffee and scones. Reception staff really helpful when I needed the bathroom door handle repaired. It was repaired immediately. Bedrooms were really comfortable and the complimentary water was an added bonus. The dining staff were really friendly and saw that our every need was catered for. The meals were really mouth watering. There was a lovely walk in the nearby woods (which was needed after those meals!!!). There was lovely music at night in the lounge.I would definitely recommend this hotel as it is family run and there is an added friendliness in that. I will be back to this hotel again with some friends and we will tour the lovely countryside of Donegal.

Room Tip: I had a room on the second floor overlooking the football training grounds and it was really quiet s...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Killarney, Ireland
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have stayed here on two seperate occasions on business in April 2014.
New section of hotel rooms are v. comfortable, roomy, with all the facilities you would need, clean & warm. The downside: if you get put room 134 when theres a wedding on, you will Not be able to think let alone sleep. So the receptionist moved me to my new room at 11pm. Room 153 is just like 134, but with a twist,, no wedding noise but by God, the kitchen extract fans make a great substitute. ( They kicked in around 11.30. I waited half an hour or so thinking they might stop, but I had to call front desk to complain. The night porter turned them off ( no apology though)
No cooked breakfast available before 8 am except continental. This is a simply a penny pinching exercise here.
The second occasion I stayed in the old side, it wasnt as roomy as the new side but it is quiter. Still no hot breakfast again. How is this 4 star guest.treatment ?
I must say the front desk staff were friendly & very helpful. They were 4 star ! Might go back if I was stuck or didnt have to be at work at 8am. Business travellers/Workers beware !

Room Tip: Avioid rooms 134 & 154. Dont bother with breakfast option. You can have a cup of tea & cross...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank John T
VillaRoseHotel, Owner at Villa Rose Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Guest,

While I thank you for your constructive feedback, I must say I find it hard to reconcile the fact that you would post such a review and less than 48 hours later ring to book in again last night for a two night stay. Since there was availability in the other hotel's in Ballybofey last night It leads me to believe that your stay could not have been as bad as you have reported since you still chose to stay here at the Villa Rose. We were all but fully booked last night and we offered your our last room. At the Villa Rose we always put the customer first and had you made any of your issues known to myself or my staff at the time I could have gladly arranged a cooked breakfast earlier than our scheduled breakfast times. Our corporate guests are very important to us and we treat them as such.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our bedrooms and reception staff, they are indeed four star in our eyes also and they are valued members of our team. While I accept there is some merit in your feedback I find much of it to be harsh and inaccurate. Our hot breakfast does not commence until 8am each morning, however on request we accommodate our business guests with an earlier breakfast wherever possible. I would also like to state that it is our prerogative to serve breakfast at whatever time we deem fit, this has no bearing whatsoever on the 4 star grading of the hotel. You did not mention in your review that we served you an early continental breakfast on each of your stays and might I add that includes the breakfast we served to you at 6.35am this morning.

Thankfully it has been a very busy April and on each of the occasions you booked we had limited availability remaining as your reservation was booked for arrival on the same day and as such the noisier rooms were all that we had left to offer you.

The one aspect of this situation that I cannot understand is how you never mentioned these issues to our team of staff & management during your stay. If you had mentioned the cooked breakfast to the manager on duty then it could have been arranged for you at the time. When you raised your issue with the night porter in regard to the fan it was dealt with immediately. Yes you are right, his phone manner could have been better and I will speak to him in regard to this but he did turn it off once you made him aware and this is the point I would like to get across. If you had brought your issues concerning breakfast to our attention at the time - face to face then we could have resolved them at the time rather than posting a less than accurate tripadvisor review. If you would like to discuss this further in person then please contact me directly during your next stay.

Regards
Thomas Gallen
Proprietor
Letterkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Top class management and staff. Had our wedding there on the 1st march from the lead up to the wedding and on the day we couldn't have asked for better service. Meal first class from talking to our guests. Thanks to Tommy, Rhonda, Nicole and all the staff for making our wedding day 1 to remember.
Gerard and Samantha Gildea

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank MarchWeddin
Belfast
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My husband and I went back to the Villa Rose Hotel for the weekend to celebrate our first wedding anniversary, having held our reception at the Hotel last April. We had an absolutely lovely time which brought back happy memories of our special day. The staff were extremely helpful & friendly, the room was large, spacious and clean and our evening meal was probably one of the best we have had in quite some time.

Overall, this is a beautiful hotel, with great staff, fantastic service and first class food. I would highly recommend to anyone looking a relaxing break in a nice small town with friendly and welcoming locals.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mys2054
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed in the hotel one night, used the spa for a treatment each followed by use of the thermal suite, then dinner in the restaurant and breakfast in the morning. Everything from beginning to end was excellent. The hotel room was excellent, spotless and spacious. The staff in the spa were fabulous and it was a lovely relaxing experience. The staff on reception and in the restaurant & bar were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. To top it off, it was a great value package.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank shmcc
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

this was our fourth time here in the villa rose hotel for a two night stay. every time it has (sadly) been a mixed experience. this is a beautiful hotel as regards the entrance hall, the rooms and the spa. and all staff are wonderful. special mention to the 2 separate female 'front of house' each morning at breakfast (one blonde/one brunette - sorry don't know their names). they were absolutely excellent and so efficient despite it being extremely busy busy busy. they are a credit to the villa rose. and all serving staff at breakfast were also fantastic. and all cleaning staff etc should also get a mention as the hotel, rooms and spa are ABSOLUTELY SPOTLESS.

the new breakfast buffet is superb - best breakfast i have had for a long time at a hotel. there is a great wee bar at the front of the hotel and also a great restaurant/breakfast room. so, first night we had a DELICIOUS meal in the front bar.

However, it then turned out we had the room from hell despite requesting a quiet room - NOISE NOISE NOISE until after 3am - people stomping up and down corridors, shouting, slamming doors etc. so no sleep - dreadful.

The next night the meal in the wee front bar was ABSOLUTELY AWFUL, which was so disappointing. but we then had the quietest night ever in our room, so actually got some sleep. so you just cannot predict this place. it all depends on whether it is a weekend, whether there are weddings, and what sort of people are staying.

the villa rose is rated as a 4 star hotel, and in most respects it is, but you don't stay in a 4 star hotel to be kept awake all night. there should be a strict 'no noise' policy after midnight. but the hotel does nothing to manage the noise issue other than getting guests to sign a 'noise policy' on arrival, which they then allow guests to ignore. such a terrible pity.

i would still say to give this hotel a try as it is trying SO HARD to be excellent and nearly getting there. but it needs to get really tough on noisy guests. maybe book in on week days to hopefully get some peace at night.

and finally, the chefs need to maintain the consistency of food cooked, even when they are a bit busier. they should not be serving cold food. and if it is sent back by the customer, don't be serving it cold for a second time!!

Room Tip: really don't know which rooms are quiet.......we still have not discovered them!!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank FoodieBabe33
Ballymoney, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

2 Nights b&b and an evening meal for €130 per couple was great value for money..rooms are spotless, very comfy beds, nice ensuite..only complaint would be a lack of fridge as it's a four star hotel..breakfast very good with plenty of variety..the chowder as a lunch treat is delicious
..our 2 course evening meal was enjoyable.the garlic mushroom starter was tasty..you pay an extra €6 for steak..ours were cooked as we requested..garlic fries needed more garlic..the strange addition to the main course was several mini chip crisps at side of plate..neither tasty nor needed...tobacco onions would make the meal perfect...all in all a good stay..very attentive pleasant staff...will definately return to stay again

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Jackson's Hotel
Clanree Hotel
Clanree Hotel
#4 of 12 in Letterkenny
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny

Been to Villa Rose Hotel? Share your experiences!