“very friendly hotel”

Jackson's Hotel Conference and Leisure
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Reviewed 25 May 2012

stayed here for a 2 night break at the beginning of the week. on arrival was pleasantly greeted by reception staff. the room was on 4 th floor in the old part of the hotel. very spacious with double bed and 2 singles overlooking the river. the decor is a little tired and in need of updating but the room and bathroom were very clean. we ate in the bistro and had a lovely meal and breakfast was more than adequate with cooked breakfast, fresh fruit, cereal, toast tea, coffee and juices. would return again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dianeb73
Write a ReviewReviews (1,551)

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed last weekend, room dated,not at all like room shown on advert! Breakfast average, staff slow at breakfast to replenish buffet. Saturday night 19th May,gang of wedding guests and hen party girls partied until 6am in the garden beneath our room no.236, so avoid it! If lights had been put out in the garden shelter maybe they would have headed to bed! On complaining, staff apologised as if it was an unusual occurence but I now know otherwise. Changing rooms at leisure complex grubby. Would we go again,no, would we recommend no.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank aveen55
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I thought this hotel was very good with friendly staff and great food. We stayed for weekend
and our room was very spacious and comfortable. The pool was great and staff there were
very helpful and friendly too. Really overall enjoyed our stay there and would gladly go
back there again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Antoinette D
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Overall the hotel was ok, not fantastic but satisfactory. Our room was in the 'new' part of the hotel, therefore modern & fully equipped. But unfortunately it was quite a walk from reception...
Dinner was satisfactory, not special. Breakfast was great. Staff were very friendly. Only complaint was the leisure centre... Well the pool, it was old & worn. Unkept & unclean and seemed extremely cold.. It was like walking into a different hotel to be honest, such a disappointment with 2 children that love to swim..

Room Tip: Definitely request room in the new section, room modern & well equipped ..
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank jaylincork
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Had an overnight here this week while on business in the area. On entering the hotel (on a freezing cold evening with horrendous wind & rain), I encountered a gorgeous open fire and a very friendly receptionist.

Unfortunately, that's where the positives stop. Opening the door to my room, I was greeted with the sight of a broken-down massage chair, some bizzare leopard emblazoned soft furnishings, a bed that was well past its sell-by date (you could hear and feel the springs "boing"), and a carpet that was not fitted correctly to the room size (there was a 2" gap between the end of the carpet and the wall, with exposed carpet-tacks sticking up). I ate in the bar that evening and ordered the 10oz Fillet Steak. The steak I was actually served was tiny (no more than 6oz or 7oz). I tried to pay for my food by credit card but was told that they had no card facility in the bar, so I would have to get a cash-advance from reception to pay for my meal (what bar doesn't have a credit card machine??).

The next morning, I turned on the shower and the let it run for about 5 minutes, with no sign of hot water (it was a Sunday night stay in the low-season, and I was up early so the tank could hardly have been drained of hot water). Skipping my cold shower, I went down for breakfast, where I was told where the cereal was, but no offer of a cooked breakfast was forthcoming. Ten minutes after I finished my cereal, I asked one of the staff would it be possible to have a cooked breakfast, which was duly handed out to me from behind the counter (don't expect any kind of table service here). There is only one word that can sum-up the food, RUBBER!! I don't know what hour of the morning this food was cooked at, but it was virtually impossible to eat (pudding that was completely dry, the saltiest of bacon, and sausages you could bounce off the wall).

On check-out, I was not asked how my stay was, and probably a good thing too, as the poor girl at reception would have gotten an ear-full. As I am frequently in this area, and have stayed in the other hotels in the town, I would urge you to consider the alternatives.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank odwyer
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed here for a week including St Patricks Day. The staff here are excellent, they can't do enough to help, most always did what was asked with a smile and extremely efficiently, they are a credit to Jackson's. The only reason we have not given five stars is the lack of staff on what was an extremely busy time, they were rushed off their feet. We visited with a coach party and the first couple of days we were in the restaurant to eat, but as the hotel got busier we were moved to another separate dining area and this was not as pleasant as dining in the actual dining area, but as the hotel was so busy we understood why this was done. The food and drink though were great, homely food and plenty of it. Thanks for a great break and very good value too.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Stayed in Jackson's Hotel for a night on my way back from a Conference in Derry.

The gentleman on Check-In was very friendly and helpful. He allocated me a room in the new wing of the Hotel which was a bit of a trek from reception but well worth it as these rooms are well appointed and nicely decorated.

The food in their open-kitchen bistro is excellent. I had the Steak and it is one of the best cuts of meat I've experienced in a while.

The Bar was very comfortable and had an old world charm about it.

Breakfast was one of those no-frills buffet affairs and was adequate for my needs; but nothing to write home about.

The only real issues I encountered were in the Leisure Centre. It is quite outdated and really showing its age - especially in the changing areas. Some light maintenance would rectify this pretty quickly though.

Overall a good 4* hotel with friendly staff and great food!!

Room Tip: Get a room in the new wing of the hotel. They are excellent!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank HotelGuestIreland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Villa Rose Hotel
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Mount Errigal Hotel
Mount Errigal Hotel
#6 of 13 in Letterkenny

Been to Jackson's Hotel Conference and Leisure? Share your experiences!