“Mixed feelings but left disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Jackson's Hotel

Jackson's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Belfast
“Mixed feelings but left disappointed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

We bought a two night stay with the hotel based on an offer we saw on Grabone. I had emailed ahead of time to let the hotel know that this was a special weekend for us and if possible could we check in early and have a nice room with a view over the river. I received a helpful email reply to confirm we could check in an hour earlier that normal checking time (so 3pm instead of 4pm) and also that they would get us a room with a view of the river. We arrived about lunchtime and thought we'd chance our arms to see if our room was ready it was and they checked us in straight away. However, on arrival the girl at reception told us we could pay an extra 10 euro per person per night for a room in the new part of the hotel. This rang alarm bells straight away - we were wondering why we wouldn't automatically have a room in the revamped part of the hotel but I said we would take a look at the room they'd given us and see. When we got into the room we were disappointed. The room reminded us of something out of Faulty Towers with a small double bed that bowed in the middle and mustard bed covers and old dated decor and furnishings. The window was small and the view straight out the window was half wall and back of other rooms and half of the river. We decided to go back down to reception to pay the extra for an upgrade to the new part of the hotel. After paying 40 euro for the upgrade we were told because there was a wedding on there were no rooms left in the new part of the hotel but that they would put us in a 'newer' room in the old part of the hotel (but we still had to pay 40 euro for the privilege) - this, as you can imagine, started our stay with a bit of a bad taste in our mouths. The room that we were 'upgraded' too was just ok. It had a very small high up window and didn't have a bath - the rest of it was fine. We put the menu for breakfast to be delivered to our room on our door with a selection of what we'd like delivered the next morning. Unfortunately by 10.15am there was no word of breakfast being delivered and we knew that breakfast stopped being served at 10am. I check the door to find our order was still hanging on the door and hadn't been collected the night before. I rang down to reception to let them know that our order hadn't been taken and we were still waiting for our breakfast - the girl on the phone assured me she'd have someone up right away to take the order and have breakfast delivered. After half an hour there was still no word of anyone coming to take the order hanging on the door so I rang down again and got a different girl on reception who had no idea that we were waiting for our breakfast and said she'd just send breakfast straight up. Another half an hour later (11.15am now!) we had a cold irish breakfast delivered which was like rubber and I suspect was what had been left over from the breakfast in the dining room. There was none of the cereal, fruit, juices, coffee or even ketchup with the breakfast that we had ordered. Disappointed wasn't the word. We called down again to ask for coffee at least to be brought up and another 20 minutes later coffee and ketchup arrived by which time the breakfast was barely edible. When we go away having breakfast in bed is one of our favourite treats so we were left really let down by this and our whole day was thrown off because we didn't get to do all we had planned while waiting on breakfast. We opted to go down for breakfast the next morning and it was very pleasant and the girl waiting on the tables was very attentive. We didn't eat dinner in the hotel either night as it was very busy down in the lobby and bar with very big weddings both days so we cant comment on dinner served. On the Saturday night the wedding which was going on down below had very loud music which kept us awake until the early hours. On the up side - the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful and the downstairs lobby area with an open fire and bar is very pleasant. We used the pool quite a bit and apart from the many signs with rules and instructions that was one of the positives of our stay - infact we asked the girl at reception if we could go for another swim after checking out and she was more than helpful and accommodating. Ballybofey itself is a sleepy little village so there wasn't loads going on when we were there. We left with mixed feelings about the hotel but ultimately were disappointed and don't know that I'd recommend the hotel to friends.

12 Thank Coc o

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
Dungannon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

stayed here for a 2 night break at the beginning of the week. on arrival was pleasantly greeted by reception staff. the room was on 4 th floor in the old part of the hotel. very spacious with double bed and 2 singles overlooking the river. the decor is a little tired and in need of updating but the room and bathroom were very clean. we ate in the bistro and had a lovely meal and breakfast was more than adequate with cooked breakfast, fresh fruit, cereal, toast tea, coffee and juices. would return again.

2 Thank dianeb73
ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

Stayed last weekend, room dated,not at all like room shown on advert! Breakfast average, staff slow at breakfast to replenish buffet. Saturday night 19th May,gang of wedding guests and hen party girls partied until 6am in the garden beneath our room no.236, so avoid it! If lights had been put out in the garden shelter maybe they would have headed to bed! On complaining, staff apologised as if it was an unusual occurence but I now know otherwise. Changing rooms at leisure complex grubby. Would we go again,no, would we recommend no.

7 Thank aveen55
Offaly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I thought this hotel was very good with friendly staff and great food. We stayed for weekend
and our room was very spacious and comfortable. The pool was great and staff there were
very helpful and friendly too. Really overall enjoyed our stay there and would gladly go
back there again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Antoinette D
cork
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Overall the hotel was ok, not fantastic but satisfactory. Our room was in the 'new' part of the hotel, therefore modern & fully equipped. But unfortunately it was quite a walk from reception...
Dinner was satisfactory, not special. Breakfast was great. Staff were very friendly. Only complaint was the leisure centre... Well the pool, it was old & worn. Unkept & unclean and seemed extremely cold.. It was like walking into a different hotel to be honest, such a disappointment with 2 children that love to swim..

Room Tip: Definitely request room in the new section, room modern & well equipped ..
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank jaylincork

Travellers are raving about these Ballybofey hotels

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

Had an overnight here this week while on business in the area. On entering the hotel (on a freezing cold evening with horrendous wind & rain), I encountered a gorgeous open fire and a very friendly receptionist.

Unfortunately, that's where the positives stop. Opening the door to my room, I was greeted with the sight of a broken-down massage chair, some bizzare leopard emblazoned soft furnishings, a bed that was well past its sell-by date (you could hear and feel the springs "boing"), and a carpet that was not fitted correctly to the room size (there was a 2" gap between the end of the carpet and the wall, with exposed carpet-tacks sticking up). I ate in the bar that evening and ordered the 10oz Fillet Steak. The steak I was actually served was tiny (no more than 6oz or 7oz). I tried to pay for my food by credit card but was told that they had no card facility in the bar, so I would have to get a cash-advance from reception to pay for my meal (what bar doesn't have a credit card machine??).

The next morning, I turned on the shower and the let it run for about 5 minutes, with no sign of hot water (it was a Sunday night stay in the low-season, and I was up early so the tank could hardly have been drained of hot water). Skipping my cold shower, I went down for breakfast, where I was told where the cereal was, but no offer of a cooked breakfast was forthcoming. Ten minutes after I finished my cereal, I asked one of the staff would it be possible to have a cooked breakfast, which was duly handed out to me from behind the counter (don't expect any kind of table service here). There is only one word that can sum-up the food, RUBBER!! I don't know what hour of the morning this food was cooked at, but it was virtually impossible to eat (pudding that was completely dry, the saltiest of bacon, and sausages you could bounce off the wall).

On check-out, I was not asked how my stay was, and probably a good thing too, as the poor girl at reception would have gotten an ear-full. As I am frequently in this area, and have stayed in the other hotels in the town, I would urge you to consider the alternatives.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank odwyer
North Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

We stayed here for a week including St Patricks Day. The staff here are excellent, they can't do enough to help, most always did what was asked with a smile and extremely efficiently, they are a credit to Jackson's. The only reason we have not given five stars is the lack of staff on what was an extremely busy time, they were rushed off their feet. We visited with a coach party and the first couple of days we were in the restaurant to eat, but as the hotel got busier we were moved to another separate dining area and this was not as pleasant as dining in the actual dining area, but as the hotel was so busy we understood why this was done. The food and drink though were great, homely food and plenty of it. Thanks for a great break and very good value too.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Villa Rose Hotel
Harvey's Point
Harvey's Point
#1 of 7 in Donegal Town
5.0 of 5 bubbles 3,944 reviews

Been to Jackson's Hotel? Share your experiences!