“Poor hotel and service but good food in bistro”

Jackson's Hotel Conference and Leisure
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We have just spent a very disappointing weekend here. We were in the old part of the hotel. On first arriving I noticed a few scraps of paper on our bedroom floor and cobwebs in quite a few places but choose to ignore and not let it spoil our break. Bedroom was very tired and dated but bed and bathroom clean so we decided to make the most of it. Dinner in the bistro was really a good as we're the staff. Breakfast was overlooked and dried out and the service here was dreadful, we were sat down to a dirty table, my husband asked three times for a tea pot and cup and was eventually given just that, a cup but no saucer nor spoon. I found the hair dryer in our room was not working and requested another one, after 70 mins and a lot of hassle I was brought to a different room to dry my hair, no hair dryer was ever left to our room. The manager on duty (Damien) spoke to us during our meal and said he would make it up to us, we are still waiting, not even a complimentary drink was sent to our table. I had heard mixed reviews about this hotel and decided to try for myself but it was worse than faulty towers and we will not return. It is a pity such a good restaurant is being pulled down by such poor quality and service in the hotel. Get your act together Jackson's and look after your customers.

Room Tip: Choose one in a different hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulineW209938
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel Conference and Leisure, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. I am extremely disappointed that you didn't fully enjoy your stay with us. Breakfast was particularly busy that weekend and I sincerely apologise for any delays that you encountered, these are certainly not the level of standards that we adhere to.
Should you had of informed reception of any dissatisfaction with your room upon arrival they would have done their upmost to provide you with a satisfactory alternative.

I would be delighted if you returned to Jacksons Hotel again in the future and should you do please contact me directly and I will personally ensure that you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Jennie

Write a ReviewReviews (1,551)

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I have just returned from a lovely break at Jacksons and I can honestly say I have nothing at all to complain about. The Hotel is in a fantastic location and the staff are super friendly nothing was too much trouble. We had a fantastic room over looking the river Finn. Breakfast was lovely plenty off fresh local produce and a roaring fire with complimentary newspaper to while away the hours. Legend has it the Irish Coffee was first discovered by a member of the Jackson family, that may or may not be true but the Irish Coffee we had last night was undoubtedly the best I have ever had.
Loved every minute of it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank melissa m
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel Conference and Leisure, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and thank you for sharing your kind comments on Trip Advisor. Our staff members are absolutely thrilled with your comments, it is great for them to be acknowledged for their hard work.

Mr Joseph Jackson did indeed invented the first ever Irish Coffee right here in Jacksons Hotel. He served the Gaelic Coffee (as it was then called) to cold and weary travellers in a cup for 1/6p.

Hopefully we will be making you another one of our famous Irish Coffees very soon.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

Lovely entrance and lovely pool but everything else was awful. We were on a groupon deal and were treated very poorly. Our room was dirty, no pillow slips on one bed and dirty ones on the other, cracked sink, dirty bath, awful dinner, and much more. On checking out I spoke with the receptionist who was mortified. We said we would not be back but she gave us a voucher for one nights b+b which we will add on to our next trip to Keys Hotel. I had heard great reviews about this hotel over Christmas but we experienced none of this until checkout. Very very disappointing but will use our voucher to see if things have improved.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank donalddj

Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologise for any issues that you experienced during your stay with us, this is certainly not the levels of standards that we adhere to. I would glad that you explained your issues with our receptionist upon checkout and that she gave you a complimentary voucher to return to us again.
It would be great if you could also contact me directly marketing@jacksons-hotel.ie when you are returning so I can personally ensure you have an enjoyable stay with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon and I am certain that you will see a vast improvement.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Just spent the weekend with lovely room of our anniversary with view of river Finn. Hotel has charm with old and new parts of hotel. Food is excellent best steak I've had in long manys a day, read some of reviews regarding busy breakfast, we did try to get down by 9am and the hotel cleverly has signs to state busiest times. We didn't have a problem, staff were pleasant and answered any queries. Reading some reviews you don't know what to expect the room was warm modern and small balcony opening doors. We got extra pillows on request fresh towels every day. Pool was large and good steam room and jacuzzi. We went to see the waterfall in next town and found interesting heritage and history in same area made our day. Also shopping in nearby Letterkenny worth visiting and McIlhennys store in Ballybofy also. Had such a lovely relaxing time and live entertainment also in hotel. Can't wait to return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NthIrelandClaire

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review of Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. It is fantastic to receive such praise and I am delighted you had enjoyed your anniversary weekend stay with us. It is also wonderful that you got to experience some of our nearby attractions and shopping facilities.

Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

Booked a quad room last weekend for four of us and it was lovely. Just under £75 for four of us with full breakfast, which was delicious. Don't know what all the bad reviews are about think some people just like to nit pick. Staff were lovely and we all had a great stay. Had a lovely meal in the Villa Rose just up the street, would highly recommend it.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Maureen J
Jacksons H, Manager at Jackson's Hotel Conference and Leisure, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Jacksons Hotel during you recent visit to Donegal. I am delighted that previous negative reviews didn’t deter you and that you had a great stay with us.

Hopefully we will be welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

My husband, son and I stayed at Jacksons on a mini break deal and everything about it from start to finish was awful. My husband and I both travel a lot so have stayed in a lot of 3, 4 and 5 star hotels over the years and we don't know how this hotel has a 4 star rating. I don't have the energy to bother giving a list of all the things that we hated about this hotel as I would be here all day but the service was terrible, the facilities were tatty and the food was mediocre. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Jacksons Hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all of our guest feedback as it is used to improve upon our services.

We have been awarded a 4 star accreditation by Failte Ireland. We had to meet all necessary guidelines and requirements in order to obtain this rating. This level of award is not easily granted and is constantly monitored by the governing body to ensure all requirements are fulfilled.

I am disappointed that you didn’t fully enjoy your stay but hopefully you will return to Jacksons Hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We recently had our wedding reception in Jackson's hotel. We cannot thank this hotel enough for an excellent wedding venue for your big day. Our bridal party and myself and husband were very impressed with the rooms, food and the service you get from Jackson's hotel. It is one of the best hotels in donegal to enjoy a wedding at.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Fiona D

Dear Guest,

It was our upmost pleasure to host your special day and thank you for choosing to hold your wedding reception in Jacksons Hotel. Our experienced wedding team work very hard to provide a top class service and it is fantastic for them to be recognised for this.
I am delighted that you took the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor and we wish you all the future happiness in married life.

Jennie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Villa Rose Hotel
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Mount Errigal Hotel
Mount Errigal Hotel
#6 of 13 in Letterkenny

Been to Jackson's Hotel Conference and Leisure? Share your experiences!