“Family Night Away”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Kilkenny, Ireland
“Family Night Away”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed at the Jackson hotel on 1st August 2014. Upon arrival at 2pm we were told check in was at 4pm, having read reviews here beforehand I was expecting this so we headed off for our walk along the river which was very enjoyable. We returned at 3.30pm wanting to be early as they could not guarantee a room in the new section as it was 'upgrade' only on availability?? So we waited in reception until 4pm, they seem to be very strict on this check-in time. Our room in the new section was a long way from reception area but the room was lovely and spacious and clean. Overall found staff very friendly and food was good in bistro but Saturday morning breakfast was very busy so instead of queuing in the bistro I asked staff if we could get breakfast in the restaurant which was not advised to us as we waited, they said we could try which we did and found the selection of food a lot better than the bistro. If you are considering staying in Jacksons Hotel I would advise that you find out beforehand if there is any weddings or functions on as we didn't get to sleep until 2am with the music and also we were awakened at 4am with a group of young men banging at the door! Next time I might consider the older side for quietness!

Room Tip: Request new section for clean and modern but be prepared for noise as function room is on this side.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

After reading some poor reviews before going to this hotel, I am left wondering is there another hotel in Ballybofey called Jacksons. We could find no fault with this one. All the staff from reception right throughout the hotel couldn't have been better. We were on a 60+ midweek special and certainly got value for money. Our room was first class - although it was at the front of the hotel, our sleep was not disturbed by traffic noise. Will probably go back again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank M G
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

On our visit to Jackson's hotel, there were at least 2 coach loads of visitors, the place was hiving with people which made check-in a nightmare, however when we eventually got our key cards and headed for our room we were absolutely delighted to find that we had been given a suite(maybe a honeymoon room) with a vibrating chair and a jacuzzi bath. The room was enormous, but we were
just staying overnight so we didn't really know the benefit of it.A week would have been ideal.
We went down to dinner which was delicious,and served by very friendly staff. After a good nights sleep we went down to breakfast(good selection). TIP; Go down early to avoid the rush.I would recommend this hotel if in the area. We will be back!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 402Liz
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I and my family stayed at the Jackson’s hotel for one night on the Sunday 13th of July. The hotel has a beautiful river and forest walk for those who love long walks, the hotel’s interior was nice with a nice swimming pool and sauna. On arrival we were told that check in was not till 4pm, however the day before I was told we can arrive any time from 12pm. Eventually when we were able to check in we were extremely disappointed with our rooms. This hotel has a pet friendly policy, however the rooms where we had to stay with our dog, were in need of some repair and I did not expect to find carpets on the floor!!! The bedding was clean, but you could see stains on the cover, no hot water in the shower and tiles were all coming off the floor. It was an awful smell in my mum’s room, and when we complained the rest of my family got moved to the delux rooms, where pets are not allowed. I have to say those rooms looked lovely, while me and my husband had to say in the same room.
We had to wait for over an hour to get seated for dinner that night and we had not been informed to pre-book the table. We waited for 45min to get our starters and an hour for the main course. We were also told that we were only getting two course menu instead of the three, which we had paid for, when the food eventually did arrive it was nice.
The receptionist at the front desk was extremely rude to my sister in law on the first day.
Overall we went to Jackson’s hotel for the relaxing one night family break with our family pet, but we were extremely disappointed with the pet friendly rooms, the service and a long wait for our dinner. Therefore we did not enjoy our stay as we found ourselves very stressed and complaining all the time!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Guoda F

Travellers are raving about these Ballybofey hotels

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

A large hotel with 2 parts, the old original hotel and the modern new extension. On arrival we were met by a busy reception but a very friendly and efficient receptionist. When we arrived at our room it wasn't suitable for 4 of us (2 adults & 2 children). We were moved to the room next door without any hassle at all.

We stayed in the old section. On entering both rooms, there was a stale musty smell in the rooms. As the room was over the kitchens, the smell of deep fried food was very overpowering when we opened the windows. The rooms were old fashioned, the TV was tiny but it was spotlessly clean.

There was a wedding in the old part of the hotel and the noise (loud music & karaoke) went on until the early hours of Sunday morning. When the occupants of the room above us moved around, we thought they were going to come down on top of us with the noise of the floorboards!

Despite all that, every member of staff was extremely friendly & helpful, that includes the restaurant. If I was to stay in this hotel again, it would definitely be in the new part!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Me and my girlfriend stayed here and booked for the midweek offer 178 euro for 2 nights with breakfast and a 3 course meal each so the value was excellent. We had our meal in the Bistro and the starters were nice but wasn't too impressed with the main's (mainly the chicken carbonara) but the desert was nice. The beef Stroganoff wasn't very creamy and tasted more like a beef casserole but the beef was tender. The chicken Carbonara's chicken was just chicken breast and lacked sauce. All in all it wasn't terrible as I said before everything else was good. We also attended a wedding and the food was top class so maybe it was just those dishes we personally didn't like. The hotel has some great facilitates on offer and its very nearby a lovely wee forest with stunning scenery. We were in the old part and just did not like the decore at all as it was really dated. The room also only had one socket in the corner of the room though it had an adapter it was still not good enough to have only 1 socket and none near the bed. The shower was the worst I have ever seen in a room as It took ages to heat up and I nearly slipped a few times as it was those annoying shower over a bath things. Staff was friendly and we did enjoy our stay but the old part definitely needs a facelift in my opinion. They were excellent hosts to the wedding we attended and staff were very friendly and are a credit to Jacksons. Final thing to add was the wifi was awful and could not use so maybe a wee upgrade in this too :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DiarmuidMcCann
newry
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Usually I try to be positive in my reviews but I was very disappointed at the standard of this hotel from the first moment of setting foot in it. To say the place is dated is an understatement, from the gloomy reception to the dark corridors not to mention the 1960's style room. Old flowery wallpaper, dark brown wood, small TV with a tube in it, dark, dull bathroom with a shower that lacked power!!!
Next to the Leisure Center, grumpy staff, cold pool, old worn out feeling....need I go on. The noise level at night was abnormal most of which seemed to come from an adjoining room which lasted till 2.30 in the morning. Breakfast traffic in the corridors and door banging began again at 7.30am, so not much sleep that night.
There seem to be better rooms in the new wing, but we didn't experience them. We didn't eat in the hotel either so I can't comment.

Room Tip: Try and get a newer room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank patreflex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Villa Rose Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel, Letterkenny
Mount Errigal Hotel
Mount Errigal Hotel
#6 of 12 in Letterkenny

Been to Jackson's Hotel? Share your experiences!