“Busy noisy hotel”
Review of Jackson's Hotel

Jackson's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Ballybofey
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here 8th - 10 th august. On arrival 2 members of staff were having conversation at reception and completely ignored us for ages. Confusion when checking in as they had no record of our booking until I showed them my email. Rooms old but clean. Food in bistro was lovely with pleasant staff. SLEEP!! This won't happen until 3 am. The noise was unreal with squeaky floorboards all over floor. At one point we thought someone had entered four room. This hotel needs more efficient staff.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Banzos

Reviewed 7 August 2014

The hotel foyer is very nice having a huge open fire it looks quite grand We therefore expected nice rooms but we were disappointed with our family room although it was large it was very unwelcoming with the smallest tv in the corner of the room , The beds were extremely uncomfortable especially the 2single beds .
The breakfast was just standard nothing too exciting to mention , the grill bar was very busy and we would have had to wait an hour for a table so we decided we would look in the town for somewhere else to eat instead . Disappointing stay .

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank alib44
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Jackson's seemed a lovely hotel when entering but I am afraid that's all that was nice about it. We were there for a hen do and were put in what I described as the "West Wing" - i.e. the ANCIENT part of the hotel. When we first arrived the staff were a tad unsure about what we had booked but managed to finally sort it and were pleasant enough. We were told we had to divide into rooms of two and three and I was put in a room of three. What we were not advised was that the room of three was a double and a single bed and two of us had to share a bed- not ideal to say the least. Our room was ROASTING and the view was of a wall and ventilation pipes. The décor was from the flood with "spider hider" wall paper and carpet. Included in our deal was a cocktail making class which actually was a man making us two cocktails. Cocktails were lovely but would have been nice to be a tad more involved. We also had a meal included in our stay which was nice but there was quite a limited menu. Staff in the restaurant were very pleasant and it was nice they brought the bride out some cake with a candle as it was her birthday. I am unsure whether it was because we were a party of 12 that we were placed in the old part of the hotel, if so this is a tad unfortunate. I definitely don't think I would stay at Jackson's hotel again. Maybe it would have been different had it only been a couple of people staying.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed in the new part of the hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Hollypopkins
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights last weekend on my very first trip up to Donegal. I had heard good things about the hotel and there was a great deal including breakfast; upon booking we requested a quiet room as my partner has a very stressful job and we wanted to escape for the weekend.
We arrived after a long car journey at about 6pm to the reception desk, only to find the receptionist and another member of staff having a chat. No acknowledgement of our arrival whatsoever, and when we eventually got the receptionist's attention, she looked grumpily and said "Well, can I help you with something?" (I thought two people arriving with luggage might be self-explanatory). She demanded payment upfront, gave no receipt and essentially threw the keys at us with no other information about breakfast, dining options, leisure centre times etc. We asked if our room was over the wedding which we had spotted on the way in and were told "yes, but you won't hear them." Oh yes, we did! The room itself was nice but lacked facilities - no hotel directory or information about breakfast, dinner, leisure etc which was annoying as we hadn't even received the grace of this info upon check-in. We went downstairs for a look at the restaurant and bistro menus, not very appetising so we actually ended up going next door to the Villa Rose Hotel which has an excellent and reasonably priced menu, and wonderfully attentive and pleasant staff.
After a noisy night's sleep we had ordered breakfast in bed, which arrived cold. A visit to the leisure centre was fine, and we left the hotel for the day for a spot of surfing in Bundoran and a bite to eat in Donegal. No atmosphere in the bar in Jackson's again when we went down that evening so again we went next door to the Villa Rose for a great trad session.
The following morning we decided to go downstairs for breakfast rather than risking the cold room service again, arrived down at 9.20am to find a lot of confused guests standing around in the bistro, no hot food and one 'waitress' who didn't seem to know what she was doing. Eventually a few more staff joined her and hurriedly brought out a handful of hot food items at a time - bread ran out shortly afterwards and the tea and coffee that we asked for twice arrived eventually, cold again.
I decided to go to speak to a duty manager after this joke of a breakfast - as a former senior hotel manager myself I feel I have to bring up these kinds of issues. I was met by the same receptionist who checked us in and asked for the manager on duty - she looked at me blankly and eventually said "I don't know where he is" - I had to ask, "Well, can you call him or page him please?". She begrudgingly called his mobile only for us to hear it ringing in the back office. "Well, obviously he doesn't have his phone, so...." was the response I got. I informed her that I'd be checking out in half an hour and wanted to speak to him. When we did check out, I got talking to a manager in fairness and voiced my concerns - I wasn't looking for a refund or anything, I just hate to see hotels fall down in these key areas of customer service. The receptionist grabbed our room keys and tossed them in a corner, and we had to ask for a receipt...hopefully by now this girl has had a serious talking to, because she needs to go back to charm school.

Room Tip: If you are staying on a weekend, ask for a room in the old part of the hotel - the new rooms are nic...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank catf87
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed at the Jackson hotel on 1st August 2014. Upon arrival at 2pm we were told check in was at 4pm, having read reviews here beforehand I was expecting this so we headed off for our walk along the river which was very enjoyable. We returned at 3.30pm wanting to be early as they could not guarantee a room in the new section as it was 'upgrade' only on availability?? So we waited in reception until 4pm, they seem to be very strict on this check-in time. Our room in the new section was a long way from reception area but the room was lovely and spacious and clean. Overall found staff very friendly and food was good in bistro but Saturday morning breakfast was very busy so instead of queuing in the bistro I asked staff if we could get breakfast in the restaurant which was not advised to us as we waited, they said we could try which we did and found the selection of food a lot better than the bistro. If you are considering staying in Jacksons Hotel I would advise that you find out beforehand if there is any weddings or functions on as we didn't get to sleep until 2am with the music and also we were awakened at 4am with a group of young men banging at the door! Next time I might consider the older side for quietness!

Room Tip: Request new section for clean and modern but be prepared for noise as function room is on this side.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2014

After reading some poor reviews before going to this hotel, I am left wondering is there another hotel in Ballybofey called Jacksons. We could find no fault with this one. All the staff from reception right throughout the hotel couldn't have been better. We were on a 60+ midweek special and certainly got value for money. Our room was first class - although it was at the front of the hotel, our sleep was not disturbed by traffic noise. Will probably go back again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M G
Reviewed 30 July 2014

On our visit to Jackson's hotel, there were at least 2 coach loads of visitors, the place was hiving with people which made check-in a nightmare, however when we eventually got our key cards and headed for our room we were absolutely delighted to find that we had been given a suite(maybe a honeymoon room) with a vibrating chair and a jacuzzi bath. The room was enormous, but we were
just staying overnight so we didn't really know the benefit of it.A week would have been ideal.
We went down to dinner which was delicious,and served by very friendly staff. After a good nights sleep we went down to breakfast(good selection). TIP; Go down early to avoid the rush.I would recommend this hotel if in the area. We will be back!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 402Liz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballybofey
Villa Rose Hotel
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Mount Errigal Hotel
Mount Errigal Hotel
#6 of 12 in Letterkenny

Been to Jackson's Hotel? Share your experiences!