“Romantic destination” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunkineely
Galway, Ireland
“Romantic destination”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed in Castle Murray House for one night and wish I had been able to stay longer. It has a beautiful location and the view from the restaurant was incredible. The staff were friendly and really helpful. The room was clean, beautifully decorated and they even had a jar of homemade cookies in your room on arrival. The food was excellent. Looking forward to going back at a future date.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 325Bmc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I thought I would treat the other half to castle murray house, and yes it is a great venue, but I would recommend go down the road a bit to one of the B&Bs like SeaView on the beautiful point, and visit Castle Murray house for dinner . Check that there is not a big group in at the same time though, else you'll be in for a wait . Room was dark and not overly clean , bathroom only just acceptable (toliletries on a low shelf hidden away , why ? ) Breakfast really nice , but finshes PROMPT at 10am , so no lazy lie ins . Chamber maid rattling with keys at our bedroom door at 1030 (although to be fair she apologised ). An American lady was waiting at checkout for her bill for 20 minutes .A bit chaotic but not in a charming way. I doubt we'd return here to stay .

3 Thank plasticpaddyLondon
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

My wife and I recently stayed here for two nights. This is not so much a hotel as it is a gourmet restaurant with a few guest rooms. If you want to come for a weekend and enjoy the dining experience, this could be a wonderful place to be. We did not dine at the restaurant, but we did have breakfasts, which were superb. The rooms, however, leave something to be desired. Our room was small, rather dark and a bit outdated. It smelled of old cigarette smoke. Also, there is no sitting area to speak of - just a small area near the Reception. The rooms were considerably more expensive than much nicer rooms at nearby B&Bs.

Room Tip: The west-facing rooms get awfully hot in the summer!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Derek P
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

My wife and I stayed in this hotel on a dinner, bead and breakfast basis. We fount the whole experience to be superb - the view, staff, location, room and food. From the moment we arrived until we left we were made to feel very welcome. The quality of the food is superb. We intend to return.

Room Tip: All room are sea-facing, so the view is guaranteed.
1 Thank Robert865
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013

I have been to Castle Murray 4 times and each time I am soothed into a state of total and instant relaxation. The location is second to none with sweeping views of water and headland, the Donegal hills framing the view. As always, there could be 4 seasons in any one day here but each play of light and each sweep of wind just adds charm to this lovely, quiet, beautiful place.
The hotel on approach looks more like a huge dormer bungalow! It could easily be by-passed along the narrow road which leads to it. When you realise that the sweeping driveway leads uphill to the hotel, you soon see the advantage of it being set back from the road on such an elevated site; the views are wonderful.
Once inside, it becomes a bit of a tardis with a small reception area leading off to a long gallery seating area with a wall of picture windows overlooking what is quintessentially an Irish landscape. The old castle ruin perched on the water's edge and the green hills dotted with weathered trees facing a bay with mussel and lobster pots really couldn't be anywhere else but Ireland. Not far up the road is Killybegs and beyond there, the stunning Atlantic scenery and cliffs.
The hotel is a great place, not just because of its location, but because it really is a wonderfully intimate spot. This is a place for a weekend retreat for the romantic, for couples seeking a place to rediscover each other, for singles to get away from the world and find a place one person can stay and not feel alone. The staff know their patrons by name and have a genuine interest in them. Again, the friendly, welcoming staff place everyone at ease and the customer is definitely given first class service throughout their stay.
The hotel has the most amazing restaurant. The dinner menu is full of locally sourced produce, top quality and the chef excels in producing some of the finest food I have had in any hotel I have stayed in. It is worth the journey just to eat at Castle Murray! The breakfast menu is simple but fabulous! Everything about this lovely place is unhurried and that goes for eating here as well...no pushy table waiter speeding you up, no conveyor belt experience here! Just a leisurely, top quality, healthy, delicious dining experience. If you have a table overlooking the bay, you will not want to rush away...and in my experience, the staff at Castle Murray will try to ensure you have the table you want and the view you want. They really are models of what the hospitality service industry should try to emulate.
The accommodation is quirky, individual and tasteful. There are only 10 rooms and 2 of these are 'pet friendly', so you could bring your dog with you and stay in one of these rooms. I have stayed in 3 different rooms and each one has its own distinctive décor. There are the usual tea making facilities, TV, hairdryer, etc. All rooms are en suite and the only criticism would be that in some rooms the shower cubicle is narrow. The beds are very comfortable and I have always slept soundly at Castle Murray....maybe a combination of excellent food and wine and the rhythmic sound of wind and waves helps!!
I always feel like I have been on a long weekend, even when I have only had one overnight stay in this hidden gem of a place. The pace of life there creates an atmosphere of leisure and pleasure; it is a sensory experience to stay in Castle Murray...what you see, smell, taste and feel will relax you and when you leave, you will want to come back again for more of the same. It is a luxury break on a realistic budget. It's also lovely to find yourself a million miles away from big generic hotels with the same reproduced interiors. Castle Murray does its own thing and does it beautifully.

Room Tip: Any with a view of the sea! Room 3 is also the only twin room if you need 2 single beds.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rosemary n
Donegal, Donegal, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

My husband and I dined in Castle Murray on Wednesday evening and we picked a lovely evening as the sun was setting and the view from Castle Murray is fabulous.
We were greeted by Gerry who kindly took our drink order and helped us choose from the fabulous evening menu priced at only 47.00 per person, with some wonderful choices including steak and lobster, supplement if you want fillet steak or lobster, understandably.
We were seated at a lovely window table and the restaurant had a good crowd for a mid week night.
Firstly we were offered a choice of home made fig bread, wheaten scone or Guinness bread, which were delicious with real butter and a black olive tapenade to accompany.
Secondly a pre starter of parma ham goats cheese with fig, again delicious, we hadn't even got to our meal yet.
The starter came and we choose the famous monkfish and prawn starter, melt in the mouth, no wonder this starter is well known it is delicious.
Mains came, I ordered the sirloin steak and my hubby the lobster, they were mouth watering. My steak was cooked to perfection which in so many other restaurants is not the case. The lobster was divine. Accomapanied by roasted new potatoes and a lovely veg assortment of courgettes, peppers, broccoli and mange tout.
Finally even though we were so full came the desserts, all this included in the 47.00 price.
I chose the house dessert special which was a mini dessert of four on the menu, so delicately hand made and yummy, my hubby took the home made ice-cream which came beautifully presented in 3 little homemade baskets to eat and the ice cream was melt in the mouth.
We have eaten here many times, but I felt I had to write a review as the food is amazing.
Everything makes Castle Murray special. The location, the staff, the FOOD, the lovely crockery, silverware and extras.
They won best Hotel Restaurant in Ulster this year, should have won all Ireland as this place deserves all its awards.
Thank You for a lovely evening.

2 Thank SRM911
Donegal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

I have written before about this haven of bliss, the tranquility, the unique experience, the gourmet paradise that modestly describes Castle Murray House Hotel and Restaurant. No matter how often we go there, each visit, is unique, memorable, and different. Driving from Donegal town, through the village of Dunkineely, Castle Murray House, is approx 2 KM further on. Down a winding little road, Castle Murray House nestles in magnificant ocean and mountain setting overlooking the ruins of an old castle and McSwynes Bay. It is irrelevant, whatever the Donegal weather decides to bestow on you, nothing mars the truely wonderful experience that a visit to Castle Murray promises. Whether the wind is howling, and the harsh waters of the Atlantic, crashing on the rocks, or, as we experienced on this recent visit, rare, but glorious sunshine, nothing spoils the visit. Castle Murray House Hotel and Restaurant is owned and managed by Marguerite Howley and her husband Peter who is one of the award winning chefs. Marguerite is a wonderful charming girl, who greets her guests so warmly you feel you are family returning home. The food is the jewel in the crown of Castle Murray House. We enjoyed a dinner, that a quote from the late Michael Winner, springs to mind; it was 'Historic beyond belief.' The wonderful sommelier Fabrice helped us with our choice of wine, a very pleasant young man, and extremely helpful. A very pleasant girl called Rebecca, served us at table. For our first couse, which was simply sublime,I had three dainty croquettes, filled with St Tola goat's cheese, smoked chicken and tarragon, these were served on a bed of lamb's lettuce, two lightly fried quail's eggs, and a dressing of homemade balsamic ketchup. My husband choose crab rissoto, which was equally mouthwatering. For the main course, my husband had the finest, locally sourced sirloin of Irish beef, which he said was delicious, I choose pan fried scallops, tiger prawns, in a shell fish curry cream foam, this was served with oregano and red pepper jam. We finished our wonderful meal with the plate of house desserts which were simply divine. Marguerite has a strong back up team, with her wonderful, capable receptionist Kelly and Gerry, her Maitre D, both are a sheer joy to meet. Two years ago Marguerite fulfilled the ultimate bridal dream and had her own wedding in this glorious setting. Castle Murray House Hotel has been voted in the top 50 most romantic hotels in the world. It is a popular venue for intimate gatherings and weddings, with the stunning views and location showcasing the very best of our beautiful Irish coastline. We stayed overnight in a very tastefully decorated room with staggering sea views. The next morning we enjoyed a sumptuous breakfast, served to us by an extremely pleasant girl called Debbie. There were fantastic home baked breads on offer which consisted of, guiness bread, banana bread, wholemeal scones and freshly baked croissants, fresh fruit, greek yogurt, a selection of Irish cheese, homemade jams and marmalades, freshly squeezed juice and cereals. My husband had the full Irish, while I choose, catch of the day, which was lightly grilled John Dory. Copious pots of tea and fresh toast, completed this impressive and very well presented, delicious breakfast. The only negative thing I can say about this wonderful, gourmet garden of Eden ....is having to leave and say goodbye.......that is until the next time.

3 Thank collettebonnar
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkineely
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
#1 of 3 in Killybegs
Mill Park Hotel
Mill Park Hotel
#3 of 7 in Donegal Town

Been to Castle Murray House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!