We stayed here one night for a birthday treat and it exceeded all expectations. Brilliant location overlooking the bay, lovely rooms( not huge but adequate) with the softest most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on, crisp linen, plump pillows all fabulous and nicely decorated. The view from the window (room 3 ) was magnificent. We were lucky that the weather was hot sunny and dry and the whole experience exceeded any of our recent foreign trips .The staff are super friendly and helpful. And as for the food!!! well ,recently my son knowing what a foodie I am asked me what had been my favourite meal ever and I really had no definite answer but now I have. We travel and eat out a lot as you will see from my reviews and I can be very critical but this was the best ever. Our package included B+B and dinner. The dinner if booked on its own is 47 euro which I suppose is pricey but believes me worth every penny. The restaurant is run so well service is relaxed so don't go here if you are in a rush but to us there was just the perfect timing between courses. We started with an amuse bouche of crispy duck confit and a selection of homemade breads and olive tapenade, our starters were garlic prawn and monkfish gratin and croquettes of smoked chicken and goats cheese, for mains I had grilled lobster on tagliatelle( 14 euro extra but worth it) and my husband had lamb. Desserts chosen were a selection of home made ice cream and for me a plate of mini deserts all followed by coffee and an apricot tartlet out on the verandah overlooking the bay. Every mouthful was a taste sensation and I wasn't surprised to hear that it had been prepared by a French chef, simply outstanding.
Breakfast next morning after the quietest most comfortable sleep ever was also excellent. Lovely fresh fruit salad and yogurt, cereals, homemade jams and breads, usual fry or grilled salmon which was delicious, all served in the dining room overlooking the bay.
If you want to treat someone ( or yourself) who appreciates good food and loves a relaxed scenic atmosphere you’ll not do better than here .Even the cookies with the tea and coffee in the bedrooms are home made. Great mid week offers 110 euro B+B + dinner pp. Thank you Castle Murray for such a wonderful birthday.
Before dinner drive into Dunkineely and have a drink In Macs pub so friendly and welcoming also.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury family owned boutique bed & breakfast with magnificent sea views over looking the ruins of Mc Swynes Castle an the Slieve League cliffs the highest in Europe. Amazing breakfast using local sourced ingredients, homemade preserves, breads, cakes and granola. As well as our cooked breakfasts like our in-house smoked mackerel with scrambled egg or the farm to fork full Irish. Relax with a drink in our honesty bar and enjoy the sunset. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Castle Murray House Hotel & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castle Murray House Hotel And Restaurant
- Castle Murray House Hotel & Restaurant County Donegal/Dunkineely, Ireland