“What's not to like!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dunkineely
Northern Ireland
“What's not to like!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here in April and more recently last Saturday night, 26th October. It was recommended by a friend, otherwise I don't think I would have come across it. We arrived after a long(ish) car trip and couldn't wait to throw our bag into the room and get seated at the window overlooking the bay with a long, cold G&T. Instant chill out, all cares forgotten. What a relaxing place. Dinner was superb, as was breakfast. The staff are efficient and friendly, and the rooms are lovely with what must be the most comfortable beds in Ireland! We slept with the window open, the only sound being the splash of waves on the rocks below, with light pollution being at a minimum, save the illumination of Castle Murray itself. I love it here, and can't wait to come back. Thank you, everyone.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 9 & 3. 9 was better with 2 windows with sea views and a bath, 3 had sea view and...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Happy-Traveller-7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Was here on Tuesday evening with a large business group, so impressed with the stunning setting. Choice menu for our party - was lovely and the food we enjoyed was excellent. All in all one of those places I cannot wait to return to and experience more of your great food.

Room Tip: Didn't stay but next time will book a room and will be in no hurry to leave.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bridgeen M
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Recommended by a friend with local connections. We called in for a coffee after visiting St.Johns point. Great location with a comfortable lounge. Very friendly staff who persuaded us to have one of their homemade scones - well worth it ! Hope to return some day for a longer visit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Once in a lifetime you come on a place like this by chance.It is set up on a hill on beautiful St John's peninsula, with breathtaking views of the sea and easy access to quiet sandy coves. The hotel is charmingly unpretentious and staff were very friendly and accommodating.

My room was spacious and had a view of the sea. It was very tastefully decorated and extremely comfortable. The bed was superb. Tea and coffee were waiting with tempting home made chocolate chip cookies, set out in a separate area with armchairs.

The food was superb at dinner and breakfast. I have eaten in good restaurants all over the world but the best meal I ever had was here. T

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Clare W
Reviewed 21 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights and it was excellent. It is situated out on St. John's point which means you have limited eating options and need a car to get there and around.
The food is the key dinner is a 5 course menu that has plenty of choice and we enjoyed both evenings. In addition they have a couple of speciality dishes.
I could have sat all day taking in the view from both our room and foyer sitting area. Our room was a little on the small side but this is because it is an old building that has been beautifully restored. I will come back

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anita C
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here one night for a birthday treat and it exceeded all expectations. Brilliant location overlooking the bay, lovely rooms( not huge but adequate) with the softest most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on, crisp linen, plump pillows all fabulous and nicely decorated. The view from the window (room 3 ) was magnificent. We were lucky that the weather was hot sunny and dry and the whole experience exceeded any of our recent foreign trips .The staff are super friendly and helpful. And as for the food!!! well ,recently my son knowing what a foodie I am asked me what had been my favourite meal ever and I really had no definite answer but now I have. We travel and eat out a lot as you will see from my reviews and I can be very critical but this was the best ever. Our package included B+B and dinner. The dinner if booked on its own is 47 euro which I suppose is pricey but believes me worth every penny. The restaurant is run so well service is relaxed so don't go here if you are in a rush but to us there was just the perfect timing between courses. We started with an amuse bouche of crispy duck confit and a selection of homemade breads and olive tapenade, our starters were garlic prawn and monkfish gratin and croquettes of smoked chicken and goats cheese, for mains I had grilled lobster on tagliatelle( 14 euro extra but worth it) and my husband had lamb. Desserts chosen were a selection of home made ice cream and for me a plate of mini deserts all followed by coffee and an apricot tartlet out on the verandah overlooking the bay. Every mouthful was a taste sensation and I wasn't surprised to hear that it had been prepared by a French chef, simply outstanding.
Breakfast next morning after the quietest most comfortable sleep ever was also excellent. Lovely fresh fruit salad and yogurt, cereals, homemade jams and breads, usual fry or grilled salmon which was delicious, all served in the dining room overlooking the bay.
If you want to treat someone ( or yourself) who appreciates good food and loves a relaxed scenic atmosphere you’ll not do better than here .Even the cookies with the tea and coffee in the bedrooms are home made. Great mid week offers 110 euro B+B + dinner pp. Thank you Castle Murray for such a wonderful birthday.
Before dinner drive into Dunkineely and have a drink In Macs pub so friendly and welcoming also.

Room Tip: Rooms at front with sea view are fabulous
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank holidayseeker
Donegal
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We're from the area so we knew what to expect from dining in the restaurant on a number of occasions previously. We were checked in by the lovely Fabrice and shown to our beautiful room over looking the bay. It really felt like we were on a foreign holiday, sipping cocktails on the deck in the glorious sun. Dinner was just amazing, my husband had the prawns & monkfish in garlic butter which is to die for & I had the crab risotto. Followed by Gerry's recommendation for main course the special of the evening we had monkfish & scallops. Dessert was beautiful, I had the selection of desserts & the other half just couldn't pass the warm belgium chocolate cake. It had to be one of the nicest meals we have never had. Breakfast the following morning was lovely, sitting overlooking the bay. There was a buffet for cereals, juices, yoghurt, fruit, bread & cheese & orders for cooked breakfast were served from the kitchen. We really enjoyed our stay & can't wait to go back again. I might have to drop a few hints for my next birthday! Go on you haven't lived until you stay at Castlemurray :-)

• Stayed July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dunkineely
Lough Eske Castle, a Solis Hotel & Spa
Bay View Hotel & Leisure Centre
Tara Hotel
Tara Hotel
#1 of 2 in Killybegs

Been to Castle Murray House Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!