“Faultless!”

Bracken Court Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Balbriggan
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed here with my boyfriend after receiving a very good deal on groupon. The hotel is gorgeous, staff are so friendly (the best service I've ever received, especially from the reception staff and restaurant, although I wasn't in the bar but I'm sure they were great too!) and the food was gorgeous too. Sandy beach right beside the hotel and the train very close by where you can go on a 40min trip down to Dublin. Would definitely recommend it and would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank luvhols0012

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Arrived today and still here , very friendly reception , room very big , clean and spacious , am here on a 2 night deal from groupon which includes 2 nights accommodation breakfasts, and 1 evening meal and bottle of wine.... Which was in the room to great us .... After a walk around the town we opted to eat in the bar , which we where half we did because the food was well prepared and tasted beautiful.... Currently sat in our room drinking said wine and putting or little one to bed ..... Would recommend this hotel to anyone

Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

Fab place rooms , hotel itself food and staff couldn recommend enough !

1  Thank bibsb
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

What a nice hotel! Docorted beautifully, every member of staff I have been in contact with have been so helpful and polite, breakfasts delish, dinner amazing, bar prices reasonable! 10/10!!

1  Thank Mcnearwalker
Reviewed 17 May 2012

My husband and I decided to have dinner at the Bracken Court Hotel’s new steakhouse and seafood restaurant this evening. We live in Balbriggan and the restaurant has been made over around 4 times since we moved to the town. The new eatery is described as providing “fresh and seasonal ingredients transformed by talented chefs”; almost impossible is this task as the restaurant was closed with no explanation why! We were swiftly referred to Jack Doyle’s bar where we would be taken care of by way of a bar menu.

We opted to try this as the bar was nicely quiet and we didn’t want to drive anywhere further to eat. The menu is plain but offered notable staples such as chicken wings, beef burgers, steak and a curry at very reasonable prices. We were also made aware of two specials, roast beef and a beef stroganoff. The menu references a newly hired head chef who boasts strong experience within another hotel group overseeing menu creation and successful responsibility for 21 gastropubs. I’m not quite sure how this wealth of experience is actually being applied.
We placed a drink order and investigated our choices and decided to share a portion of hot wings to start (very reasonable at 5EUR) followed by a mixed grill for my husband and a sirloin steak for me. The grill promised a meal of bacon, egg, sausage, black and white pudding, lamb cutlet, mushroom, tomato, fries and a portion of baked beans – all very good value for 12EUR. I was looking forward to a 12oz steak with baked potato and peppercorn sauce at very good value for 14EUR.

Cutlery and napkins were delivered to our table; the cutlery was dirty, remnants of food were still attached to both forks and overall they were not dried properly so there were watermarks all over them. The same could be said for our drinking glasses; we had to clean them with the damp napkins we were given. (Yes, all of the napkins we were provided with were damp, no idea why; perhaps to clean the glasses and cutlery so as to save time for the staff?).

Our starter arrived which for the price, was very good – a generous portion of wings with a decent side dish of blue cheese dip and actually a perfect size to share if you are not too hungry. After that the experience went downhill; my husband’s mixed grill was generous in size but lacked the promise of the beans and both puddings had obviously been re-fried from breakfast as they resembled hockey pucks. My steak was abysmal; I ordered medium rare and I was served a piece of leather accompanied by overcooked carrots and asparagus. The baked potato was large in size but with no offer of butter! My husband encouraged me to return the steak but I refused on the basis that I didn’t want to waste food and I had already indicated my cooking preference so saw no need for me to repeat this but the chefs seriously need to learn the difference between medium rare and medium well. My view is that the steak hit the grill at the same time my husband’s food did which would explain my… well, not sure I can call it steak.

The service is poor – our orders were abruptly taken and while we were asked towards the middle of our meal if we were satisfied it was more of “all okay here, yeah folks?” as he walked away from the table so we leant towards not bothering with raising baked beans or overcooked steak issue. I wonder why any hotel would open a steakhouse in their property if they cannot cook a steak correctly on a bar food menu. Maybe all of the proper chefs were off enjoying the bank holiday weekend.

In conclusion, I personally would not return to this property. The bar menu is excellently priced and recession friendly but that’s where it ends for me.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CelticTraveller1977
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Was here for a wedding function a few weeks ago and was impressed with every aspect of the hotel ,Very welcoming reception team and great food ,The rooms are really nicely decorated and the buffet food we had was delicious ,Would reccomend this hotel

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My son and his Bride held their wedding reception here on the 11th May 2012. As well as the reception room, family members also occupied 10 rooms for the night.
The whole package from our arrival at the Hotel until our departure the next day was superb. I could not find one fault.
The Hotel staff and Management could not do enough for us. They were always on hand and were very pleasant and highly efficient.
The food for the wedding was exceptional and not only were the portion sizes sufficient but they offered extra portions if anyone could manage them.
The rooms were large, clean and well laid out and the beds were very comfortable.
The reception staff were efficient with the checking in and when a problem arose (my brother had booked a family room but was allocated a twin room) it was resolved in a matter of minutes.
Probably the only minor complaint I would have is that the 'Residents Bar' closed at 4 am and for my family of party animals this was quite early. The fact that we had been informed when booking the hotel that the 'Residents Bar' would remain open as long as a resident requested a drink made this a little more disappointing. However, only a few short hours later the big breakfast that was served up more than made up for the little disappointment.
I must mention Eddie, Patrick and Lisa on reception who all went out of their way to ensure that this wonderful event for my son and his Bride was indeed a very memorable and totally enjoyable experience.
I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to anybody for either a short stay or as we did, a Wedding Reception to remember.
As the father of the Groom I was always waiting for something to go wrong...... It never did.
Pete Ward

Room Tip: If booking a family room check about the layout room. My family room had the double bed and the two...