“Shocking hotel in Dublin”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Shocking hotel in Dublin”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed for 1 night midweek with 2 friends, what a mistake!! On arrival, the foreign employee was unable to offer even the most basic of welcomes. Even a grunt would have been something!! I'd be hard pressed to find someone who could care less!! The hotel seemed very quiet with only 1 other car in the car park but even though we had pre-booked and paid for our rooms, it still took over 15 minutes to check in?? Our 3 keys were thrown on to the reception desk and we were given no directions to our rooms. On entering my bedroom I was shocked by the room temperature as both windows had been left open and no heating was on in the room. Not good for Ireland in November!! My friends rooms were unfortunately both the same. My bathroom was dirty, the sink was chipped, the floor was marked and the remains of a warning sticker on the bathroom wall was unreadable. The cold water for the shower didn’t work at the same time as the hot water so it was either one extreme or the other. The curtains in the room were ripped, and the rooms were noisy with the traffic passing by. The bed was uncomfortable and had seen better days. The only positive things I can say about this hotel is that I only stayed for one night and I didnt have to experience the breakfast!!

Room Tip: I'd be surprised if there is a good room!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Phoenix Park, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Dom G,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and I regret to learn that we did not meet your expectations.

I would be greatly appreciated if you could contact me via e-mail on mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie or via telephone on +353 1 820 2626 as I would like to learn more about the circumstances in order to take corrective action.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Best regards,

Travelodge Phoenix Park

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Great amount of parking, great beds, clean rooms and bathrooms, helpful staff and an awesome breakfast that's super affordable. Awesome for families.

There are only a couple of dodgy things. The restaurant/bar is separate from the hotel so you have to go outside to get to it. Also, the ceiling is paperthin and we could hear the going's on in the room up above us.

Apart from those, it's great. Highly recommend for the travellers and families that are travelling on a shoestring.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear WoundedTraveller,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We do appreciate your fair comments and certainly hope to see you back in the near future.

Ipswich
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights October half term with a young family, for what we paid can't really grumble. Its very basic , need to take your own toiletries, hair dryer, yes the rooms are dated with broken windows, but it is budget. The travelodge is a 20-30 minute bus trip to the centre, bus stop just outside, any of 38 38a 39 39a will take you into the city, we caught the 38 38a back from O'connell street outside Pennys.
Reception staff very friendly, we did have breakfast one morning at the diner, pretty good actually selection limited at mo they are doing a refurb at the restaurant.This is a good budget hotel as city centre hotels are so expensive, we booked this through Expedia for £113 for 3 nights.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear emsyipswich,

I would like to thank you for taking time to review our property. We would like to thank you for your kind words about our staff, which I can assure you are very welcome. As you mention we are in fact in the process of going through our snag list and we should have it completed in the very near future.

We do appreciate your fair comments and certainly hope to see you back in the near future. When you return please contact me directly on +353 1 820 2626 or via e-mail to mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie and I will make sure you get the best deal we can offer.

Ireland
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed over the bank holiday weekend as we were looking for something in this general area & this was an inexpensive option.

It's a Travelodge so you get what you pay for. The rooms were very clean & a good size with comfortable beds but unfortunately it's a bit run down; the window seal in one room was broken so there was quite a draft & you could hear the road noise as a result, curtains coming off the tracks, buttons on the shower broken . . . . all minor but just give an impression of the building being generally in need of some attention. The noise insulation is poor so you could hear doors open & close all along the corridor and a 6am fire alarm didn't help - an acknowledgement / mention / apology on checkout would have been nice.

As for the Diner - it was the only option & was poor, we waited almost 25 minutes for our order to be taken. There was no yoghurt or anything else from the Continental breakfast menu available other than cereal & toast!!!

All-in-all we got what we paid for but there are other better options near by

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Phoenix Park, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear OnaC,

I would like to thank you for taking time to review our property. . I would like to assure you that we have taken your feedback onboard and that it has been discussed with the respective Managers in order to prevent a repeat. The "small" maintenance issues you mention are in fact being dealt with and I aim to have the majority sorted by year end.

Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My husband and did an overnight stay at this hotel recently as I had a meeting in the city the following morning.

On arrival were checked in by a very friendly receptionist and allocated a room on the ground floor. The room was basic but very clean and had everything we needed for an overnight stay. The bed was very comfortable and we had a very peaceful nights sleep despite the fact that the hotel is close to a busy road with lots of traffic.

The following morning we had breakfast in the diner at the hotel (we pre-paid for this at the time of booking which was cheaper). The diner staff were warm and welcoming and the breakfast was good with a generous pot of lovely hot tea.

It's also worth mentioning that it is only a five minute drive to Castleknock Village which has a lovely selection of bars, bistros and shops. And if you need an ATM there Is one in the SPAR supermarket in the Castleknock Village Shopping Centre.

We would definitely recommend this hotel if you are looking for a clean, comfortable yet inexpensive stay in Dublin. We would certainly return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Alcudiafan
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Phoenix Park, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Alcudiafan,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We do appreciate your kind comments and certainly hope to see you back in the near future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We have stayed temporarily at this hotel waiting for the house we rented to become available. We found it clean, quiet and reasonable all in all.
The rooms were spacious and the bathroom had a tub, not a shower. And the cleaning person came in daily to change the towels and clean.
We also appreciated the tea and coffee making facilities they provided.
The only thing that we were not happy about was that we had to pay for the internet. 5 euros/day.
In conclusion, if necessary we would stay here again or recommend it to other people.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nateea
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Phoenix Park, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Dear nateea,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We do appreciate your kind comments and wish you be the best of luck with your new Home.

Should you require any assistance in the near future please contact me directly on +353 1 820 2626 or via e-mail to mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie

Larnaca, Cyprus
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The hotel was a very good value for money, and I left really satisfied from my stay there!
The room was clean and tidy and we could get clean towels every two days. we did not really expect a lot since it was relatively cheap but overall it was what we were looking for. Moreover it offered facilities to have a coffee and tea which we really enjoyed.
The only disadvantage of the hotel was its location because there was nothing else near the hotel and it was a bit far from Dublin's city center so I would definitely recommend a travlecard if you are staying there, however the bus station was only 2 minutes far! Buses 38, 38a and 39 will take you directly to Conolly Street which is the Center of dublin!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Phoenix Park, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Christos90,

I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. Should you have any suggestions that can help us improve our product please do get in touch with me.

Should you be in Dublin again in the future please contact me directly via e-mail to mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie or via telephone to +353 1 820 26 26.

Best regards,

Travelodge Phoenix Park
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#67 of 151 in Dublin
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,302 reviews
Twelfth Lock Hotel
#3 of 3 in Castleknock

Been to Travelodge Phoenix Park? Share your experiences!