“Awful hotel would not return”

Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Myself and 2 friends decided to go to Dublin for St Patricks Day. It was all very last minute so due to lack of availability and high prices, we decided to stay here as the description said it was close to the centre and it seemed like a bargain.

Although we weren't expecting great things, this hotel is an absolute joke. The receptionist was of no help, and anytime I approached the front desk she was nowhere to be seen. I could hear her typing on a computer, but surely common sense would tell you to put the computer at the front desk so that you can interact with customers throughout the day!

There was no shampoo or shower gel, no hair dryer, 2 towels in a triple room.

The cafe closes at 1? Or 2 I'm not entirely sure and then doesn't reopen until 6! I think this is ridiculous for a hotel when the cafe is the only place that serves drinks except for a vending machine and it's also the only area you can get free wifi in.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Sian M
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Sian M,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I regret that you have not enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the hotel to be a joke as we work very hard to ensure that that is not the case.
Travelodge is a budget Hotel franchise and in fact we do not provide Shampoo and Shower Gel and the WIFI is payable thus allowing us to keep the overall price down comparing to other Hotel chains, however, we listen to our guests and we are in the process of having those implemented complimentary by year end. As for the hair dryer, we have them at reception on a first come first served basis to lend to our guests.
As for the receptionist being of no use, it comes as a surprise to me as the general consensus from our guests is that our staff is very helpful, professional and friendly, please do accept my apologies.
The Diner is in fact closed from 2pm to 6pm but as you stated there is vending machines in the lobby for soft drinks and at reception we do sell alcoholic drinks.

Should you return to Dublin in the near future please contact me and I will gladly ensure that you have a perfect stay. My contact details are mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie or +353 1 820 26 26

There are newer reviews for Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I had not originally planned to stay outside of the city but this location turned out to be not as remote as I had supposed. There is a bus stop a couple of hundred yards down the Navan Road, so, with the exception of getting to and from the airport, you can travel cheaply (EUR2.60 single) to town. Having said that, we were planning to walk in via the Royal Canal, which is a stone's throw from the hotel. However, the canal towpath was subject to extensive repair work at this location and was impossible to access. I cannot find any major fault with the hotel and would agree with the other reviewers citing the friendliness of the staff. The place is quieter than I had imagined and the beds clean and very comfortable. There was a group of (slightly raucous) young rugby players staying at the time, one of whom knocked on my door in the early hours of the morning, apologising when he realised he had got the wrong room, but on the whole it was quite tranquil. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Simon J

Dear Simon J,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I would like to thank you as well for your kind words about the staff and they have been passed on.

We would like to apologize for the disturbance you experienced with this other guests.

Should you return to Dublin please contact me directly on 01 820 26 26 or via e-mail to mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie

Reviewed 11 April 2014

When we got into our room we discovered that the TV wasn't working. We rang reception they said they were busy checking in guests and would be back to us in 10 minutes. They didn't come back to us. We further discovered that the extractor fan in the bathroom was not working. There was no drinking glasses. there was no floor mat in the bathroom and the windows would not lock.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Seamus M,

I would like to thank you for reviewing out Hotel and would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you found with the room. I would like to assure you that those will be dealt with swiftly so that other guests do not experience the same.

Should you return to Dublin in the near future please contact me directly and I will make sure you will be very well taken care of. My contact details are mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie ot 01 820 26 26.

Looking forward to hear from you,

Reviewed 25 March 2014

2nd time to stay here. Both the manager & the team are extremely helpful & friendly. Had a pleasant night's stay & great breakfast! Room was surprisingly quiet considering the location of the hotel next to a main road which makes it handy for travel in to Dublin city centre. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark F
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Dear Mark F,

Many thanks for your kind words. I have passed them on to my colleagues and I can assure you that it means a lot to all of us.

Please get in touch with me in advance when staying next. My e-mail is mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie and my phone number is +353 1 820 26 26.

Looking forward to see you soon,

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The beds are really comfortables and the bedroom was very clean. The bathroom could have more items like a shampoo and a better soap. I missed also a rug in the bathroom or a small towel. They put an advise instead...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Rafael6891,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel and I hope you thoroughly enjoyed your visit to Dublin. We appreciate your comments and I can assure you that we are currently working on getting a solution.

Should you return to Dublin please contact me on mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie or on +353 1 820 26 26 and I will make sure we will get you the best deal available.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Stayed here 28/2, The receptionist was courteous and pleasant , the accomadation was clean, the room was warm and the bedding was clean and cosy, This hotel is located well for M50 , and is well served by buses to city center, This hotel is perfect as a place to get your head down and would be ideal for short stays at a very reasonable rate. All staff very polite and Friendly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rorco
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Rorco,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. I have passed on your comments to the staff.

When visiting Dublin next, please get in touch with me on +353 1 820 2626 or via e-mail to mario.casinhas@travelodge.ie and i will ensure you will be extremely well taken care of.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We were desperate to find a hotel in Dublin, which happened to be on the same weekend as the Hurling Final in Croke Park and also a heritage and food festival in the heart of the city - so was almost impossible. I was delighted when I found availability at this hotel as it was so close to our friends house and also to the motorway as we were coming down from Belfast!

Having spent a wonderful day with the family at Dublin Zoo we made our way to check in to the hotel at about 4pm. It was at this time it started going horribly wrong. We got a call from the hotel asking if we were still coming as it was now 4 pm and we still had't checked in! This to us was bizarre as it was still quite early in the day. We told them that we would be there about 5 minutes later as the zoo is literally down the road from the hotel. When we got there we were greeted by about 10 people standing right outside the front door of the hotel smoking - a big turn-off.

When we got into the hotel we were greeted by the rudest hotel receptionist I have ever come across. Not only did she not welcome us, she didn't bother to life her head to talk to us when we spoke to her. We were then told that they couldn't find our booking - funny that seeing as THEY had only just rung us to see if we were still coming!!! Eventually - about 10 minutes later, they found our booking - and only after she questioned the booking confirmation that I had in my hands!

We went to our room and found it absolutely stank of alcohol and urine.

I wanted to walk out there and then - and I would have if I wasn't aware of the accommodation shortage in the whole of the city that night!!

We asked for another room straight away - which the other receptionist sorted out for us - she was a much nicer (and polite) girl than receptionist No. 1 !!

Room number two was a vast improvement - but still awful!

We spotted the manager in the corridor and told him of drama so far. He was extremely apologetic, and quite embarrassed and gave us complimentary breakfast for the whole family the next day.

The restaurant was ok - looks better than the food served here - although that staff were lovely and very accommodating in preparing meals for the kids that weren't on the menu - top marks for them - even though the food itself was overdone!

The next day we were delighted to be checking out. We are normally a family that make the most of our hotel stays and leave at check out time - but for here we were checking out at 9am and making our way to our friends house instead for early morning coffees!

I have stayed in Travel Lodges before, and on the whole they are great for passing thorough somewhere, a clean bed, decent breakfast and then on your way. This place wasn't! It's not a hotel - its a hostel and more for hen and stag do's. It's noisy. Smells of cigarettes and the normally I find that foreigners that work in the hotel can't do enough for you and are very hard working - it was the complete opposite in this case. it was the Irish staff that were lovely and the foreigners that couldn't be bothered to help at all which really was an eye opener and a disappointment.

I will NEVER EVER stay here again - and I know you should never say never - but in this case i mean NEVER.

Awful awful place. Disgusting.

Room Tip: Do not stay here - unless it has a complete overhaul (knocked down/rebuilt/fixtures/fittings/staff!)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank babswhelan
Mario C, General Manager at Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear babswhelan,

I would like to kindly thank you for your review. We have taken your comments onboard.

Travelodge Phoenix Park

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Castleknock Hotel
#1 of 3 in Castleknock
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#69 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Travelodge Dublin Phoenix Park? Share your experiences!