“Great food”
Review of Castleknock Hotel

Castleknock Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Stayed here on an quick over night stop on Wednesday 9th January on short notice.As always excellent front of house service and excellent check in..Very impressed with the up dated bar menu. Great selection and good price.Tried the burger with the apple wood cheese and I must say it was delicious and tasty.Friendly service and speed check out made the stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Dear Berlitz

Let me thank you sincerely for taking the time to post your comments. Your words fill me with pride and I am really glad you had this experience throughout your stay.
I do hope you return to us in the near future

Reviewed 11 January 2013

Stayed with Friends in Executive King room which was beautiful also had treatment Tonic Health & Day Spa which was relaxing and they are so efficient, had dinner in dining room which was nice and restaurant very busy, bit confusion with Language of waiter but food was good especially Fish. used the Gym and pool which was clean and staff friendly. Definately would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Dear abberleyhouse98

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your lovely comments. Our executive rooms have been recently renovated to include lots of extra features so I am thrilled you had the opportunity to enjoy these facilities. Our team of staff look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 5 January 2013

Arrived at 3pm on 30th December and the rooms were not ready, told it would be an hour but when we objected this suddenly became 10min. It was chaos at reception no assistance with the luggage despite struggling with the luggage for 2 adults and 3 children. The right hand lift was giving problems but no one advised of this. When we arrived at the rooms it was like a sauna as it was so hot. Despite turning off the radiator and opening the windows it took 13 hours for the room to cool enough for sleep. Other family members stayed in the hotel and had the same problem in their rooms. What 4 star hotel doesn't check to see if the rooms are at a comfortable temp. Who wants to sleep in a sauna. We were in rooms 101 and 103. The noise levels were rediculous. The service levels from reception and bar staff left a lot to be desired. Breakfast was a major dissapointment. Even our children were dissapointed with it. The scrambled egg was tasteless, the fired egg like rubber, the white & black pudding dried out rubber and the rashers long past it. What child does not like sausages yet our children turned away after tasting them and I agreed with them. This is supposed to be a 4 star hotel. The physical structure and fittings are most definately that but the service and attention to detail leave it down is a very big way. My wife is not in good health and the hotel was aware of this yet they provided crap service and left us feeling we were being taken for granted. We would never darken their door again after this sad exerience. I have reviewed hotels in the past and this was the worst 4 star I have stayed in to date ( not because of the physical surroundings but because of the lack of proper service levels applied effectively). Some friends ate at the bar prior to our heading off to a wedding and they were amazed by the limp sandwiches and tired side salads. You wouldn't get as bad in a seedy bar. On the following night we stayed in another 4 star hotel which provided us with a brilliant and amazing experience where everything was perfect and the standards were first class. I know which one I would stay in again and it certainly wouldn't be this one. At €139 this hotel was vastly over priced for what was provided yet at €155 Clontarf castle was cheap and value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed 2 January 2013

iv just stayed here for New Years Eve. We booked a package which included a nights stay with breakfast a cocktail making class ,4 course meal, a live singer fireworks at 12am and a glass of sparkling wine/hot chocolate to ring in the new year. upon arrival we were greeted by a red carpet along with the beautifully decorated foyer with Christmas trees the red carpet was for a wedding that was on in the function room. The staff were friendly and told us where our room was which was the second floor. The security is a little much as you need a key card to get the lift working and after your exit you need to use the card again to get into the hallway to your room, if your on the second floor you cant get onto the first and likewise The rooms were quite modern with a flat screen tv and a purple light over the bath with the usual toiletries and coffee making facilities. our room had a view of the car park however with a side view of the golf course. We booked our meal for 8.30pm, we got there on time and ordered our drinks and food pretty quick and even got a salmon orderve, along with bread rolls the 5 of us ordered nearly the same thing, soup starters and beef medallions for the main, the starter took a few minutes to come but nothing out of the ordinary this is when it all went wrong. Around 15mins after our starter we realised we hadnt had our plates collected and as we were chatting more time passed, around 20 minutes later we were all pretty hungry at this stage and the staff were serving people who had come in before us, my father called the waitress and asked why there was a delay on the main and she said they were out the door with orders for 2 restaurants. After another 20 minutes three out of 5 of us were given plates of food after poking at the meat which was pink ( i ordered well done) the taste seemed funny i presumed i was just being picky but mid chew on my 'beef medallion' the manager came over and said there had been a terrible mistake and they got our order mixed up and we were eating duck we gave the paltes back but were faced with another 15-20 minute wait before our meals came to the table we then were faced with 20 minute wait for our choc puddings as the chef had to make them himself, the serving staff dealt with this perfectly and told us that any extras including drinks we ordered were all free of charge and even gave another bottle of sparkling wine, however we did miss most of the entertainment which we paid for and the bar staff in the main bar were so slow serving as there was only 1 poor chap on his own! Apart from the meal taking over 2 hours and the slow bar staff the hotel was clean comfortable and a great location we did enjoy our stay and breakfast the next day was delicious we will be back again.

Room Tip: book your meal early to guarantee you get out of the restaurant before 11pm
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sababear

Dear Sababear

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed feedback, this is always appreciated.

Overall New Years Eve was very successful this year and many guests commented that the atmosphere was buzzing throughout the night. It was probably our busiest night of all 2012. Because of this, I am thoroughly glad you got to share this experience and enjoyed ringing in the New Year with us.

New Years Eve, as you might expect was probably our busiest night of 2012 and on such a night we learn a lot about what went well and/or not so well largely based on guest feedback like your own. We always organise a debrief meeting with the relevant managers and staff after the Christmas and New Year period to ensure that lessons are learnt for future dates. In relation to your dinner, I am so sorry to hear read about of the inconvenience caused to you and your group during your evening meal, I will certainly look into this further and see where the problem lay to ensure this does not happen again.
On a positive note I am delighted that the serving staff dealt with this professionally with you and hopefully turned the negative experience around for you

I do hope you come back to stay with us in the near future & would like to take this opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel

Reviewed 31 December 2012

Just back from a fabulous overnighter in Castleknock Hotel and Country Club and I have to say, the customer service, food, spa treatments and general ambiance was fantastic. Violeta at reception was one of the best we have ever come across, her can do approach and the speed in which she got through the queue with a constant smile on her face has to be complimented. I hope the Manager appreciates how good she is at her job. We had a fabulous meal and thoroughly enjoyed the spa treatments and I am nearly afraid to tell you all how cheap it was..99.50 for B/B, Dinner and 50.00 towards spa treatments (Supervalue getaway breaks)...the hotel offer the same deal through their web site for only a little more....The reason I am afraid to tell you all is that when I go to book it again, it will be fully booked out......Well done Castleknoc Hotel and Country Club, you are doing a fine job....

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room to the front of the hotel....quieter
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Dear FionnualaDublin

I am so proud to read such lovely feedback. I will certainly ensure our reception manager is made aware of your comments about Violeta and all of our staff members. On behalf of my team here, we do always try to offer a warm and friendly service, so I am thrilled to read that you have experienced this throughout your stay.

Do keep an eye out for more of these special offers that we run frequently and I hope to see you return in the near future.

Kindest Regards

General Thompson

Reviewed 24 December 2012

Absolutely gorgeous hotel, staff are wonderfully helpful and the food amazing. We stayed for the weekend and found everything to a very high standard - the room was warm with 24 hr heating (not cold as mentioned in previous reviews). We ate in the bistro one night and the Park restaurant another - both have excellent menus and very high quality food and service.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Julie H

Thank you so much for such lovely words and feedback. It is really nice to read comments like this, as it re-confirms to me the fact that our guests can thoroughly enjoy all of our facilities throughout their stay, including our two restaurants, one of which currently has an AA rosette for food and service excellence.

Thank you again & on behalf of my team, we look forward to welcoming you back to us on a future occasion

Reviewed 19 December 2012

This was my second stay at Castleknock hotel. Though it is tucked away, it is a pleasant environment to come back to. There are spa and swimming facilities available, and you can play golf if you want to. Since this was a business trip, I did none of that. Still, it's nice to know that they are there. The bar sitting area is very nice and spacious, and there are lots of lounges about. You can have dinner at the restaurant or near the bar. It's quite high end, so there are no riff raff about. WIFI is available free of charge in the rooms and in the public areas, so it's convenient to catch up on emails whilst having a bite to eat. Service staff were all polite and efficient. Rooms were big and spacious.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Dear Postcard Traveller

I would like to thank you sincerely for taking the time to post your lovely comments. It is reading positive feedback like yours that makes me extremely proud of our 4 star facilities and I am particularly pleased to read that you found my team here so polite and efficient. I do hope that you might return to visit for a leisure break and enjoy the complimentary leisure centre facilities on your next stay with us at the hotel. We do pride ourselves on being ideal for both our corporate and leisure guests.

Guy Thompson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
The Croke Park
#5 of 150 in Dublin
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 150 in Dublin
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#68 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Castleknock Hotel? Share your experiences!