“Improve food & service”

Castleknock Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
“Improve food & service”
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Pros: location, leisure area,household staff, cleanliness of rooms, comfy lobby/ bar& reception staff. Cons: food, the breakfast buffet terrible , presentation very poor. Not once did I see the chef come out check t area. Have ask 2/3 staff for tea. Plenty staff on going round in circles . We had the dinner included option again terrible. We were seated in t cafe area because we had children with us! No atmosphere atall. The second night we got food in t bar which is better. Would I go back maybe? Only room only. Think manager should take a trip breakfast buffet in bewleys ballsbridge& compare. Not having brown bread or brown sauce in a four star hotel not good enough. Hotel was a disappointment .

• Stayed April 2014
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Ashmollie

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments and for such detailed feedback. It is great to know you had the time to use our Leisure facilities and that you enjoyed the comfortable lobby and bar area throughout your stay with us.

I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your breakfast. I feel breakfast is a very important aspect to each of our guests’ stays, so I understand your frustration. I do apologise again for this inconvenience.

I will certainly take your recommendations & opinions on board. I hope we can welcome you back.

Guy Thompson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed here on Good Friday night, excellent check in, beautiful room with lovely view. We were upgraded due to problems with our online reservation. We then went to the bar for food to be told by 3 different staff that we couldn't order alcoholic drinks, we didn't even ask about drink but just wanted to get our 2 yr old fed. I ordered a baby bowl to include mash potatoes and veg with a little soup instead I got a spoonful of cold mash with veg that I couldn't eat not to mind my son, and all topped off with gloppy salty gravy, because my son was so hungry I just fed him with the excuse for a baby dinner. We ordered a starter to share and 2 x fish and chips that eventually came all together after almost an hour, starter and main course together, out of sheer frustration we just accepted it but couldn't eat the starter as it was cold and sent it back, fish and chips were seriously disappointing and tiny portions. Dinner came to a total of 42 euro, I was shocked to see that i was charged 3euro for baby bowel and 3.50 for a scoop of ice cream for my son!
When we got back to our room it was so hot, like other reviewers we couldn't open window due to the loud noise coming from motor/boiler outside that continued until 12am.
Breakfast I thought was very good, tasty, not greasy and plenty of choice, and I did like the fact that people with small children dined in a separate area.
We thoroughly enjoyed the pool, clean and lifeguard on duty at all times.
It's a beautiful hotel, we will be back but we will definitely not be having dinner or bar food. The waiting staff seriously need a good shake up and/or training as one waiter in particular seriously frustrated us.

Room Tip: Ask for one as far away from the boiler as possible even if it means sacrificing a room with a view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fadono
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Fadono

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. I am extremely disappointed reading your experience with the Bar Food Menu. Over the Easter Weekend, we were very busy and we must admit, slightly overwhelmed. Rest assured, this will not be an issue next year as we will take every action to be over prepared so that none of our guest's dining experience will be impacted. I do sincerely apologise.

I am glad you and your family enjoyed use of the pool, our pool is heated so ideal for smaller children to enjoy.

I am delighted you said you will return and we look forward to welcoming you and your family.

Kind Regards
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Second visit, having been here in July 13. Hotel facilities are good with nice pool and play ground out the back. In 9 months the service and quality of food have deteriorated badly. Expect to at least be given cutlery at dinner. Seen lots of unhappy people waiting for ages with unsettled kids. Breakfast was poor and dinner a big let down. Won't be back.

Stayed April 2014
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear CSA1978

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review & choosing to return to Castleknock Hotel.
I am sorry to read about your experience; this is by no means our usual standard. Over the recent Easter Weekend break, we were extremely busy and unfortunately this did cause some slight delays to our ground floor service. Please note, action will be taken to ensure this does not happen again

Kind Regards
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We had booked for two nights, when we arrived the girl at reception told us we were in Room 153, so we headed up only to find out key did not work. Luckily there was a cleaner in the corridor who let us in, my wife and two girls got settled in while I got our suitcase. I then went back to reception and told them my keys were not operating, she then informed me that our room was in fact 156! I headed back up to 153 and had to tell the girls to tidy up and move as they were in wrong room. Room 156 was at the rear of hotel and not large enough to be a family room,with a cot squeezed in, it had a very poor and limited view with numerous air conditioning units for other parts of the hotel located outside our window which were very noisy when we opened windows. I ensured that the radiator was turned off when we arrived, the weather was fantastic and with the sun beaming all day at rear off hotel, when we got back to our to our room after dinner around 6pm the room was absolutely boiling. We could not open the windows as the noise from the air con units was very irritating, my young girls could not sleep and were very agitated all night! There was a fan but it was pointless as it only moved hot air about the room. Needless to say we checked out a night early, they did not offer a refund or discount but they did say that my name is on the computer and if I book again they will locate us at a room not near any air con units????

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank PaulD12345
Dear PaulD12345

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. I am sorry for the slight mix up upon check in and we will be carrying out re-training with the staff concerned to ensure that this does not happen again.

The family room you stayed in, as you know, consists of a double bed and double sofa bed. We recommend this room for a maximum of 2 adults & 2 children sharing under 8 years of age. The majority of feedback in relation to the standard family room has been very positive so I am sorry you felt otherwise. We do have a larger family room option consisting of two adjoining rooms which provides more space and larger beds.

Unfortunately these interconnecting rooms are very popular so we recommend booking these well in advance.

In relation to the noise you mention, as part of our environmental plan we have a CHP unit located at the rear of the Hotel, which can from time to time, unfortunately affect a small number of our 138 bedrooms. We do monitor the operating times of this unit are carefully in order to reduce the potential level of disruption to our guests as much as possible. During the Summer Months the hours of operation are significantly reduced to allow guests to open the bedroom windows during the warm weather without any disturbance.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide a review of the hotel.

Yours Sincerely,
Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Booked into the hotel Easter Saturday for three nights we had dinner in the package. we ate dinner on the 1st night, in an area which was like a cafe and service was terrible. We waited too long almost 1hr...kids got bored ...our waitress was not attentive, very slow and never asked us if everything was ok with our food. Breakfast is also served in the cafe area especially
for those who have young kids!! Unfortunately guests with young children seem to be excluded from the more elaborate area of the restaurant! Breakfast buffet was poorly presented with cheap looking plastic covers over hot food....very basic....certainly not in keeping with a 4* hotel more like a roadside cafe. Overall the standard of food was poor, so much so that we drove to other restaurants in the region to have dinner on the 2nd & 3rd nights. During our stay, we witnessed many guests complaining about the waiting time & poor quality of food.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tillie2008
Dear Tillie2008

Many thanks for your review. I appreciate the time you have taken to pass on your comments and I am of course extremely disappointed reading your words. This is, by no means, our usual standard and I sincerely apologise for your overall experience.

Over the Easter Weekend we were extremely busy which unfortunately led to a some minor delays in service on our ground floor, but rest assured we are taking action to ensure this does not happen again.

Our breakfast is served in our popular Brasserie Restaurant and I apologies if you felt you were excluded in any way as this was certainly not our intention. We open the AA Rosette Award winning Park Restaurant for breakfast service when that extra space is needed to have each guest seated comfortably.

The feedback in relation to our breakfast buffet is normally very positive but we will certainly take your comments on board and review our offering going forward.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Yours Sincerely,
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Great layout and leisure centre is excellent. Not enough staff means that ordering a meal can be a slow and hit and miss affair. Missed drinks and forgotten meals means that the whole family could not get eating at the same time, Leisure centre staff were just excellent when dealing with my handicapped son - full marks on that score

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Colm M
Dear Colm M

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. I am delighted to know the Tonic Staff members looked after you and your son during your time at the Leisure Centre.

In relation to the slow service you mention, over the Easter Weekend we were extremely busy. This, unfortunately, led to some minor delays in service on our ground floor. I do apologise for the inconvenience to you and your family. Rest assured we are taking action to ensure this does not happen again.

Many thanks
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Beautiful location, minutes from Phoenix Park & yet a countryside setting. Reception staff helpful & polite. Restaurant staff pleasant & polite. Food average and a 60 minute wait for a burger on night one, 70 minute wait for chicken wings on night two. Neither night was particularly busy. On check out two groups of guests complained re restaurant wait and incorrect order served. Reception staff, to my surprise, offered no compensation or adequate apology. Breakfast was poor for a hotel of such calibre. Gym is small, 7/8 aerobic machines, min weights, one deflated gym ball. Room was clean and bathroom products fantastic. Poor to no Internet connection in room. No fridge/minibar in room. Room overlooked car park, to front of hotel, and traffic was noticeable from 5am.

Room Tip: Request room to back of hotel, not overlooking car park as main road is busy and bus arrivals during...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank everella
Dear everella

Thank you for your review. As you mention, we are very close to the Phoenix Park and yet just 15 minutes drive from the City Centre. I am delighted to read our reception and restaurant team were polite and friendly towards you as Customer Service is, and always has been, extremely important to us.

I am sorry to read about the delay on your meals being served, I understand this can be frustrating so I do sincerely apologise. In regards to the Gym, we have all the necessary equipment to suit the needs of our Target Market and Clients, however I do sincerely appreciate your comments.

Guy Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
#7 of 151 in Dublin
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,405 reviews
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
Finnstown Castle Hotel

Been to Castleknock Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!