“Am I the invisible woman?”

Castleknock Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Wicken
“Am I the invisible woman?”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Travelled to Castleknock to have lunch and to enquire about a golf break for four friends in July. I entered the hotel and as reception was busy I went to the bar. There was a couple at the bar and every table around it was marked reserved. Every table. I stood at the bar for a out five minutes and was completely ignored by the batman who was struggling with a n order as two other bar staff walked in and out. So I found a table (with the previous diners dirty crockery still sitting there) and went and set there to study the menu. And the staff walked up and down and despite waving politely and saying "excuse me" they just bustled past. So, I decided to check the wifi out so walked down to what looked like the spa reception - it's a tiny reception and there were three females standing there talking- and again they just totally ignored me. It may be that I'm the invisible woman. So I just decided to leave. Why would four people spent good money on a long weekend there when they just ignore the guests? Dirty tables, rude staff, an empty bar with every table "reserved" - luckily the next hotel I visited was superb. Avoid this one like the plague.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank PlumBailey
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Dear PlumBailey

Thank you for passing on your feedback. I am truly sorry for your experience & please know I am very disappointed reading your words. This is not, by any means, are usual standards & rest assured, this type of service will not happen again. Recently being named AA Hotel of the Year 2014, only makes us work harder as a team of staff and managers in each department, to try and offer 5 star service in a 4 star Hotel.

Guy Thompson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Lovely hotel. Great staff. We had interconnecting rooms (family of 5). Rooms were clean and nicely decorated. Lovely bar area with good menu. All in all had a enjoyable stay and free pass to Dublin Zoo so well worth it. Will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank cmarie76
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear cmarie76

Thank you for choosing Castleknock Hotel for your family break. We are located just 5 minutes from Dublin Zoo as you know, so I do hope all 5 of you enjoyed your day.

Thank you again & we look forward to welcoming you & your family back soon

Dublin
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We attended a wedding recently and couldn't get over the professionalism of the management and staff.
The Bride & Groom were treated like royalty and their special day was only enhanced by the wonderful staff.
I have an allergy to certain veg and Chef actually produced a side order without the veg I have an allergy to.
Chef just sent this out without me asking or wanting to make a fuss.
The hotel is spotless and quiet. We got a look at the rooms and they are spacious with views to rival most country hotels.
There is a golf club next door but not being a golfer I cannot comment but anybody I speak to sing it's praises.
I am a member of the gym "Tonic,health and fitness center" and have to sing the staff's praises.
The gym is well equipped and the pool,steam room,sauna along with a soak in the Jacuzzi are just what the doctor ordered.
Just a short taxi journey to Blanchardstown center, Dublin city,Phoenix park ,Dublin zoo etc.
Highly recommend a visit.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear clinton_mike

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on this wonderful feedback. It is great to read a review from a guest attending a wedding, as we know how important it is to the couple that each and everyone of their guests enjoy their day too.

Thank you for recommendation & we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Thank you very much to all the staff . Although we didn't stay in your hotel we had a delicious breakfast served to us on the morning of the DIL2014 walk. Thank you so much. It was very good value with the added bonus of a donation to Pieta House.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Aliken51

Thank you for your kind words. The ‘Darkness into light’ breakfast fundraiser was a last minute idea to help raise funds for such a wonderful cause.

Due to its popularity, we plan on offering the same again next year but on a larger scale and hopefully increase the donation.

Thank you again & well done for taking part in the walk.

Herzogenaurach, Germany
Reviewed 7 May 2014

So, i'd like to start off by saying that overall the stay was good, obviously there were one or two issues which I will outline in my review, likewise there were also many positives which I will also detail.
So, we'd reserved the hotel over 5 months ago for a one week golfing trip, the reviews seemed good, the website was great, and to add to our excitement the hotel had recently been awarded the AA Hotel Of The Year for Ireland.

What we experienced was good, but could and should have been better, i'll start off with the negatives:
- Wifi in the room was non-existent, this was very frustrating for me and my friends as we all had work to do during the week, and one of the main reasons for choosing this hotel was the 'advertised' free Wifi in the bedrooms. We also spoke to other guests who were staying in our end of the hotel and it was clearly a frustration for them too. Its 2014, a good Wifi service in the room should be easy to arrange.
- The TV, was very small, again, I've stayed at many hotels and this was by far the smallest TV I've seen in a room for some time. Again complaining on a high level, but something that could easily be resolved.
- On entering the room there was an awful smell coming from the drains in the bathroom, I brought this to the attention of the reception and the next day it was gone, but returned throughout the week, it wasn't pleasant, but as we spent so little time in the room it wasn't a big deal.
- We ate at the hotel once, and the service was poor, the waiter was uninterested, we received one dish 10 minutes before the 2nd and 3rd dishes which were cold, and had to be sent back, the rest of the food arrived, and then 20minutes later the two dishes that were returned to be warmed up were then brought out (after constant chasing to the waiter). The quality of the food was actually good, so, no issues there either, it was just a shame that a) the meals didn't arrive together, and b) the waiter was totally lacking any enthusiasm. We spoke to the manager and were not charged for the 2 meals that arrived late, which was fair enough.

Now the POSITIVES:
- The location is excellent, if you're looking for a good hotel, away from the City with good facilities.
- The rooms were clean, and maintained well each day.
- The bar area was good, and the bar staff were good lads.
- The lounge area was bouncing on Friday and Saturday, great atmosphere, and a really nice place to spend some time.
- The Spa area was brilliant, great pool, whirlpool etc.
- The massages offered were perfect, especially after a days golfing, very much appreciated and very professional.
- The breakfast was very good, big choice, and you never felt that it was getting too busy.

Would I stay here again?, Yes
Would I recommend this hotel to others? Depends what you're looking for, location for the city is not ideal, but as a good weekend getaway its a good place.
Do I think that there are more deserving hotels worthy of the title 'AA Hotel Of The Year 2013/14'? Definitely.
It was feast or famine with the hotel workers, waiters and bar staff, they were either great, or not bothered at all.

Overall good but not great, but, with some more attention to detail I feel that this could be a really great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with good Wifi connections
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brades1966
Dear Brades1966

Thank you for passing on such detailed feedback. This is greatly appreciated.

I have taken note of each point. Just to mention, in relation to the WiFi, I can certainly understand your frustration. This is not a regular occurrence however as we constantly invest in improving our WiFi speed around the Hotel. We understand how important this is to all guests throughout their stay. I am very sorry it was not working to it's usual high quality during your stay.

I am glad to read your meal issue in the restaurant was rectified, however this does not excuse the service you were offered. This is, by no means, our usual standards.

Thank you for mentioning both positive and negative experiences you came across. This will assist us on improving where necessary, as we try to offer a 5 star service in a 4 star Hotel

I hope we can welcome you back.

derby, kansas
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Title may say it all, if you like loud, fast pace or sports this might be your place. We were booked for two nights, the hotel was full and we got a room with some issues. I did find out next am that if you are having internet issues they can give you a piece of equipment to improve that. Our room had issues that would take some time to fix. I don't recommend room 224. I can say that the manager on duty Steven, was very professional and was more than fair with us. Food average for Ireland- we are from Kansas so beef is very different than back home. Bed pillow choice was nice and heated bath floors however shower is small. Location is good.

Room Tip: Stay higher than two for a better view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lcbannon
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear lcbannon

Thank you for passing on your feedback. This is greatly appreciated.

When there is a big match on, we do welcome a lot of guests & locals who come in to our spacious lobby and bar areas to enjoy the atmosphere, along with the live music every weekend evening.

We have recently improved our internet access even further throughout our bedrooms, so any issues with this is now very rare.

I am glad you made use of the pillow choices to add to your overall comfort.

Thank you again & I hope to welcome you back

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We were in Ireland from the UK due to a friend being married in nearby 5* Luttrelstown Castle over the weekend, and had a good look at local hotels. Ultimately chose to book this hotel because it seemed the classiest and upmarket of the local hotels from the website. As we do not have the opportunity for many romantic holidays, we normally tend to choose the best we can afford.

On arrival, we found the car park large, and plenty of space for our rental car. There is a barrier entrance, which only requires a code upon exit. Code available from reception.

Reception welcome was great, we had a lovely Irish lady called Maria check us in who gave us all of our information. As we checked in she confirmed our spa reservation and our dinner reservation without prompting. She was very friendly and made us feel happy to be there from the start! We were several hours early to our 3pm check-in but had wanted to drop our luggage off. She was happy to help and even said we were welcome to check in early as soon as our room was ready. We had requested a quiet room on the second floor, and would recommend you do the same if you wish to avoid noise from weddings that are popular here every weekend.

We chose to visit local Blanchardstown shopping centre while we waited for our room to become available. This is a 10 minute drive from the hotel in car, and reception are always pleased to give you helpful printed directions! Excellent shopping centre, apparently second largest in whole of Ireland.

On return as we checked in again properly, we were informed that we had been upgraded into an executive room! We were thrilled, having never been upgraded anywhere ever for anything! Our room was gorgeous, very spacious, overlooking the golf course. Humungous bathroom. Lovely large bed, and flatscreen TV. Free WIFI. As a hot chocolate lover I was thrilled to see hot chocolate amongst the hot drink selection. Robes, towels, slippers, iron, and essentials all provided. Heating fabulous and even had underfloor heating in bathroom. We had a bath and shower in the bathroom. Got ready for the wedding which was 10 minutes away in Luttrellstown Castle, and arrived back to the hotel at 1am the next morning. Had no problems getting back into the hotel at this late time. (The Castle incidentally is breathtaking, defo worth a visit if you can)

Breakfast is served from 6:30am till 11am I think on Sundays.
It is lovely how they separate families and couples appropriately - bravo for this.
The area nearest the buffet is filled with screaming kids, and we were greatly relieved when our waitress seated us in the quieter section away from the food in a more quieter area away from the screaming uncontrollable kids.
We thought that the selection was good, and again I was pleased to see hot chocolate was available as well as all the usual; cereals, juices, hot breakfast and croissants. Nothing was too much trouble, a few small requests were made and handled really efficiently by the lovely Polish staff.

We then visited the leisure facilities. Again, very helpful staff. You need a euro for the lockers. We entered the Jacuzzi and steam room. Both were clean and lovely. Lifeguard helpful and chatty. They offer compulsory swimming caps if you want to swim, for hygiene reasons.
Be aware if you do want to use the pool which we didn't, there a lot of splashing families around on the weekend. Hence why we stuck to the Jacuzzi and steam room (where kids aren't allowed).

Leaving the leisure facilities, we popped out for some afternoon food from the hotel bar area. Good quality food, without too much of a wait initially we found. I asked if the beef wrap could be changed to chicken and they were happy to oblige, this tasted lovely.
Only one complaint was that we ordered blueberry cheesecake for dessert, and a raspberry/strawberry cheesecake arrived instead which is a flavour I hate sadly. They sent it back after we asked for this to be swapped for a brownie - this took absolutely forever!
My fiancé had to start to eat his apple crumble before the ice cream melted, which was not ideal as we had wanted to have our desserts together. As this was their error, I had expected it be rectified immediately. Got to the point where I had to go upto the bar and ask the staff member for my dessert again because my spa massage was due in 10 minutes, and this replacement dessert had now taken 20 minutes to be replaced, long after my fiancé had finished his.
In fairness, the lady took the brownie off the bill. But I would have rather have had the correct dessert, or ANY dessert, as soon the mistake had been identified in order to save the indigestion that followed after bolting down my dessert quickly before the spa appointment.

I would advise against ordering food from their bar area - they do seem very busy and if they get things wrong, then take forever to correct mistakes. Go elsewhere for lunch.

Another hugely irritating episode for our stay involved another guest and a silly hotel management decision.
On the Sunday afternoon we were staying at the hotel, there were some big football games on in the Premiership. (Namely Liverpool versus Chelsea). Myself and fiancé deliberately chose our bar table to order our bar food so that we could be in front of one of the big screens in the hotel foyer to watch the game, along with a few other football fans watching the game around this TV monitor.
While we were watching game (around 70 min mark), another guest came down and started looking annoyed. He approached a hotel staff member and to our surprise demanded that the Rugby Union game be shown on the screen instead, even though several people sitting by the monitor were watching the football game.
The hotel staff member considerately noted that several people were watching the football game, and politely requested that the game be allowed to finish before Rugby could be put on the TV.
The next 10 minutes involved some hotel idiot behind the scenes fiddling with the TV screen guide to find the Rugby channel, which meant that we could not properly watch the game at all because the screen was blocked by the constant tv guide flicking.
The joke of it all was once the footy had finished, the inconsiderate rude Rugby man didn't even bother turning around to watch the rugby anyway. Don't know if this is how inconsiderate Dublin locals normally are but we were really not impressed. Hotel management should have had one Rugby TV from the start to avoid all this curfuffle or not flicked with the tv guide until after the footy was over.

Anyway, then went to spa for half hour massage - was lovely. staff helpful, massage lovely. Definitely a good part of the stay.

Evening meal came with our stay, the food was not that great quality at the Park restaurant in our opinion. And you are limited by the menu. I would advise not adding the dinner option to your stay and go out to one of the lovely local restaurants in Blanchardstown instead. Pork belly was tough and vegetables portion was small. Would have preferred to have gone out to eat at this point, but were stuck with the dinner option added to our package

Overall, if you want a relaxing peaceful stay and have already booked:
1. Avoid the hotel foyer/bar area COMPLETELY for leisure purposes (unless you enjoy the deafening noise of screaming children)
2.Furthermore do not order any food in the hotel bar area - go out for lunch/dinner at local Blanchardstown Shopping Centre, which has Wagamamas, Nandos, Italian, American Diner, coffee bars etc
3. Avoid the swimming pool, stick to the Jacuzzi and steam/sauna rooms
4. Do book yourself into their spa which has lovely treatments and staff

Overall the staff were lovely and helpful throughout for the most part. Facilities good.
But be aware that on weekends, this place attracts a lot of idiotic and inconsiderate families.

Would I stay here again? NEVER EVER again on a weekend, nor would I ever recommend.
I would perhaps consider staying here, maybe on a weekday, outside of school holidays if I happened to be in the area.

But if I'm honest I would have loved to have stayed at the 5* Luttrellstown Castle and if you can afford to do it, I would thoroughly recommend you do that instead

Room Tip: Ask for second floor to avoid noise if staying on a weekend
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ballroo
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear ballroo

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback.

I am happy to read about the positive experience’s you had throughout your visit and that you felt welcome on your arrival. It is great to know you found the breakfast buffet plentiful and that our team of staff were helpful and efficient.

In regards to your lunch, I do apologise about the delay on receiving your brownie, this is not acceptable, however I am delighted to know you enjoyed the rest of your lunch.

In relation to the other points mentioned, thank you for bringing these to my attention & I apologise for the issues with the TV & in the restaurant. I am sorry that these issues affected your stay in a negative way.

We are, as you know, very popular on weekends with our guests, locals and families alike. I hope we can welcome you back for a midweek break.

Kind Regards
Guy Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
#7 of 151 in Dublin
4.5 of 5 bubbles 4,408 reviews
Dunboyne Castle Hotel And Spa
Finnstown Castle Hotel

Been to Castleknock Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!