“Misses the Mark”
Review of Castleknock Hotel

Castleknock Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The hotel is listed as a 4 star, but I had mixed feelings about the whole stay. I was booked in for one night. The location of the hotel is ideal, close to Dublin but in the countryside. First impressions were a bit mixed, lobby and reception looked modern, however the signed football shirts in the reception area looked out of place, and cheapen the area, maybe better to have these in the bar. Staff at reception were polite and engaging. I was assigned a room on the first floor which was clean and tidy. Bathroom looked impressive but the shower was broken and leaking, however this would be the only fault I would have. However the evening reception and bar staff were very disappointing. After returning from Dublin, we sat in the lobby and had a few drinks with friends, the waiter came down to the table and took our order. 20 minutes had passed, so I went up to the bar to find out what had happened to our order. I was informed that the waiter had finished his shift and had gone home for the night, I reordered and took our drinks to the table. Back in the room, we phoned reception for a menu for room service and was advised very abruptly that there wasn’t one, and we could have sandwiches, which were of a poor standard, perhaps made by a night porter rather than the hotel chef. The next morning, in the breakfast room, I really did struggle to find a clean plate, I picked up at least 7, They had either bits of dried food stuck to them or were wet. I also asked for a take away cup for my coffee. The waiter agreed to get me one, but didn’t come back, seems like a recurring problem with staff here. I couldn’t recommend this hotel to my friends, which is a real shame.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Con N

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review and for such detailed feedback.

I am very disappointed on reading some of your comments as this is not our usual standard by any means. I do apologise for the issues you came across during your stay. I will certainly look into each of these to ensure they do not happen again.

We have constant standards of service' training and as a full team of staff and managers, we try to offer a 5 star service in a 4 star Hotel, so I do apologise you did not feel this way.

I would feel confident if you returned you would leave with a more positive opinion.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Travelled to Castleknock to have lunch and to enquire about a golf break for four friends in July. I entered the hotel and as reception was busy I went to the bar. There was a couple at the bar and every table around it was marked reserved. Every table. I stood at the bar for a out five minutes and was completely ignored by the batman who was struggling with a n order as two other bar staff walked in and out. So I found a table (with the previous diners dirty crockery still sitting there) and went and set there to study the menu. And the staff walked up and down and despite waving politely and saying "excuse me" they just bustled past. So, I decided to check the wifi out so walked down to what looked like the spa reception - it's a tiny reception and there were three females standing there talking- and again they just totally ignored me. It may be that I'm the invisible woman. So I just decided to leave. Why would four people spent good money on a long weekend there when they just ignore the guests? Dirty tables, rude staff, an empty bar with every table "reserved" - luckily the next hotel I visited was superb. Avoid this one like the plague.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank PlumBailey
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear PlumBailey

Thank you for passing on your feedback. I am truly sorry for your experience & please know I am very disappointed reading your words. This is not, by any means, are usual standards & rest assured, this type of service will not happen again. Recently being named AA Hotel of the Year 2014, only makes us work harder as a team of staff and managers in each department, to try and offer 5 star service in a 4 star Hotel.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Lovely hotel. Great staff. We had interconnecting rooms (family of 5). Rooms were clean and nicely decorated. Lovely bar area with good menu. All in all had a enjoyable stay and free pass to Dublin Zoo so well worth it. Will be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cmarie76
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear cmarie76

Thank you for choosing Castleknock Hotel for your family break. We are located just 5 minutes from Dublin Zoo as you know, so I do hope all 5 of you enjoyed your day.

Thank you again & we look forward to welcoming you & your family back soon

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We attended a wedding recently and couldn't get over the professionalism of the management and staff.
The Bride & Groom were treated like royalty and their special day was only enhanced by the wonderful staff.
I have an allergy to certain veg and Chef actually produced a side order without the veg I have an allergy to.
Chef just sent this out without me asking or wanting to make a fuss.
The hotel is spotless and quiet. We got a look at the rooms and they are spacious with views to rival most country hotels.
There is a golf club next door but not being a golfer I cannot comment but anybody I speak to sing it's praises.
I am a member of the gym "Tonic,health and fitness center" and have to sing the staff's praises.
The gym is well equipped and the pool,steam room,sauna along with a soak in the Jacuzzi are just what the doctor ordered.
Just a short taxi journey to Blanchardstown center, Dublin city,Phoenix park ,Dublin zoo etc.
Highly recommend a visit.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear clinton_mike

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on this wonderful feedback. It is great to read a review from a guest attending a wedding, as we know how important it is to the couple that each and everyone of their guests enjoy their day too.

Thank you for recommendation & we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Thank you very much to all the staff . Although we didn't stay in your hotel we had a delicious breakfast served to us on the morning of the DIL2014 walk. Thank you so much. It was very good value with the added bonus of a donation to Pieta House.

• Stayed: May 2014

Dear Aliken51

Thank you for your kind words. The ‘Darkness into light’ breakfast fundraiser was a last minute idea to help raise funds for such a wonderful cause.

Due to its popularity, we plan on offering the same again next year but on a larger scale and hopefully increase the donation.

Thank you again & well done for taking part in the walk.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

So, i'd like to start off by saying that overall the stay was good, obviously there were one or two issues which I will outline in my review, likewise there were also many positives which I will also detail.
So, we'd reserved the hotel over 5 months ago for a one week golfing trip, the reviews seemed good, the website was great, and to add to our excitement the hotel had recently been awarded the AA Hotel Of The Year for Ireland.

What we experienced was good, but could and should have been better, i'll start off with the negatives:
- Wifi in the room was non-existent, this was very frustrating for me and my friends as we all had work to do during the week, and one of the main reasons for choosing this hotel was the 'advertised' free Wifi in the bedrooms. We also spoke to other guests who were staying in our end of the hotel and it was clearly a frustration for them too. Its 2014, a good Wifi service in the room should be easy to arrange.
- The TV, was very small, again, I've stayed at many hotels and this was by far the smallest TV I've seen in a room for some time. Again complaining on a high level, but something that could easily be resolved.
- On entering the room there was an awful smell coming from the drains in the bathroom, I brought this to the attention of the reception and the next day it was gone, but returned throughout the week, it wasn't pleasant, but as we spent so little time in the room it wasn't a big deal.
- We ate at the hotel once, and the service was poor, the waiter was uninterested, we received one dish 10 minutes before the 2nd and 3rd dishes which were cold, and had to be sent back, the rest of the food arrived, and then 20minutes later the two dishes that were returned to be warmed up were then brought out (after constant chasing to the waiter). The quality of the food was actually good, so, no issues there either, it was just a shame that a) the meals didn't arrive together, and b) the waiter was totally lacking any enthusiasm. We spoke to the manager and were not charged for the 2 meals that arrived late, which was fair enough.

Now the POSITIVES:
- The location is excellent, if you're looking for a good hotel, away from the City with good facilities.
- The rooms were clean, and maintained well each day.
- The bar area was good, and the bar staff were good lads.
- The lounge area was bouncing on Friday and Saturday, great atmosphere, and a really nice place to spend some time.
- The Spa area was brilliant, great pool, whirlpool etc.
- The massages offered were perfect, especially after a days golfing, very much appreciated and very professional.
- The breakfast was very good, big choice, and you never felt that it was getting too busy.

Would I stay here again?, Yes
Would I recommend this hotel to others? Depends what you're looking for, location for the city is not ideal, but as a good weekend getaway its a good place.
Do I think that there are more deserving hotels worthy of the title 'AA Hotel Of The Year 2013/14'? Definitely.
It was feast or famine with the hotel workers, waiters and bar staff, they were either great, or not bothered at all.

Overall good but not great, but, with some more attention to detail I feel that this could be a really great hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with good Wifi connections
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Brades1966

Dear Brades1966

Thank you for passing on such detailed feedback. This is greatly appreciated.

I have taken note of each point. Just to mention, in relation to the WiFi, I can certainly understand your frustration. This is not a regular occurrence however as we constantly invest in improving our WiFi speed around the Hotel. We understand how important this is to all guests throughout their stay. I am very sorry it was not working to it's usual high quality during your stay.

I am glad to read your meal issue in the restaurant was rectified, however this does not excuse the service you were offered. This is, by no means, our usual standards.

Thank you for mentioning both positive and negative experiences you came across. This will assist us on improving where necessary, as we try to offer a 5 star service in a 4 star Hotel

I hope we can welcome you back.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Title may say it all, if you like loud, fast pace or sports this might be your place. We were booked for two nights, the hotel was full and we got a room with some issues. I did find out next am that if you are having internet issues they can give you a piece of equipment to improve that. Our room had issues that would take some time to fix. I don't recommend room 224. I can say that the manager on duty Steven, was very professional and was more than fair with us. Food average for Ireland- we are from Kansas so beef is very different than back home. Bed pillow choice was nice and heated bath floors however shower is small. Location is good.

Room Tip: Stay higher than two for a better view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lcbannon
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear lcbannon

Thank you for passing on your feedback. This is greatly appreciated.

When there is a big match on, we do welcome a lot of guests & locals who come in to our spacious lobby and bar areas to enjoy the atmosphere, along with the live music every weekend evening.

We have recently improved our internet access even further throughout our bedrooms, so any issues with this is now very rare.

I am glad you made use of the pillow choices to add to your overall comfort.

Thank you again & I hope to welcome you back

Guy Thompson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley
#3 of 3 in Castleknock
Red Cow Moran Hotel
Red Cow Moran Hotel
#1 of 7 in Clondalkin

Been to Castleknock Hotel? Share your experiences!