“From a non golfer”
Review of Castleknock Hotel

Castleknock Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Reviewed 10 June 2014

When I saw I had been put into a hotel next to a golf course I did wonder - but no problem, it seems to have a wider clientele than just old guys with the hats and bright trousers. Huge room equipped with everything I needed. A wedding was going on - is there any hotel these days which isnt hosting a wedding every saturday night - but the music ended promptly at midnight. Forgot to arrange an early morning call and slept in until 9 am in total silence - gigantic comfy bed had a lot to do with this. Every member of staff smiling and charming, everything polished and clean, great lifts, fast ones. I ate two breakfasts here and you could eat every day for a week without exhausting the options on their menu or out on the fruit, hot and cold buffet areas. I'd definitely come here again even if i had to pay for it myself…. which, lucky me, I didnt on this visit. Lucky enough to eat here on the first night too, delicious. Much busier on the saturday than on the Sunday night, fair enough, plenty of staff in the bars and a glass of bubbly to make up for having to wait for our table.

Room Tip: on second floor - the odd numbers look out over the car park at the front.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Liz T

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review. It makes me feel very proud of our team of staff when I read reviews like yours and I am delighted this added to the overall enjoyment of your stay. We have live music every weekend evening in our lobby, it is great to know you had time to sit & enjoy the atmosphere.

Thank you again & I hope we can welcome you back

Yours Sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Castleknock Hotel

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had our wedding in Castleknock hotel on the 10th May 2014 and it was the best day of our life.
All started when we had to choose the venue for our wedding and in Castleknock we met Siobhan which got our attention and was so helpful and nice to us, literally she convinced us to have our wedding there just by using her own charm.
Then, as we were approaching the big day, we were introduced to Sinead Codd, which made it all possible for us. She helped us so much every time we had to go and discuss about the menu or everything we wanted to change regarding the wedding room, from colors, drinks, arrangements to even raise the bridal table on a stand. Everything was fantastic, on the big day we couldn't be happier, Arthur was looking after the service and he did a real good job.
After that we spent 3 nights in a lovely suite in their hotel, everything was clean and the room was so beautiful decorated, and more than all it was very quiet, exactly what we needed after such an important event.
I must say that we are not easy to be pleased, but the Castleknock team made our dream come true. We even had people at our wedding saying that this is the wedding of the year!
So well done to you guys!
I'm recommending this hotel to everyone !

Room Tip: Rooms are very clean, quiet and very well decorated.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I had a voucher for this hotel so decided to use it for afternoon tea. At €14.95 per person I felt it was good value for what you get and the food was freshly prepared and plentiful. There was a fair selection of sandwiches and plenty of desserts and cakes, so much so that we struggled to eat them all! They were delicious. The staff were very attentive and ensured we were being looked after with fresh tea etc. This was despite the fact that it was very busy with confirmations and conferences at the time. I was really impressed and will definitely return again with friends for a treat!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank champkis
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear champkis

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback. This is greatly appreciated as we have very recently made improvements to our Afternoon Tea Menu, so I am delighted these improvements impressed you & your friends and that you enjoyed your afternoon.

I hope we can welcome you back soon

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Could not have been more disappointed with the standard at this hotel. While everything looks good from the outside, the service was not as it should have been and the room was extremely average.

Upon arrival I went straight to the bar to get something to eat to keep myself going until dinner. After sitting at one of the tables, I eventually had to get up and order at the bar as nobody was coming to take my order. I ordered the soup as I wanted something fast and cheap. After waiting at least ten minutes, I asked the bar man if my order had been forgotten about (it was just the soup of the day after all!). He was very apologetic and was kind enough to discount the soup off the bill. Sadly, this tardiness and lack of attention was only a sign of the overall poor service of the staff.
We stayed in one of their suites and while it was very spacious, one of the two tv's didn't work and the other tv was too small, old and cheap and the remote didn't work. Also the phone was broken, there was no hair-dryer and the back of the bathroom door was completely worn and scratched. There was also a "pillow menu" which I'm sure the hotel prides itself on as one of their perks but sadly there was only one kind of pillow available - the Japanese buckwheat pillow - which was awful in my opinion!
The restaurant was under construction at the time of our visit so we dined in a conference room with a 20% discount for the inconvenience. While I'm happy to say that the food was of an excellent standard, the staff's attentiveness was dreadful and certainly didn't match the menu prices. We certainly wouldn't have eaten there only for the discount and I would most definitely not go back.
While the quality of the dinner was excellent, the same can't be said for their breakfast buffet. The sausages, rashers and black pudding were the cheapest crap you'd find in the supermarket. Incredibly disappointing. There were three or four additional menu options but I believe these were extra(!) and personally not that inviting.
The leisure facilities were probably the one area of the hotel where I have little real criticism of. Their facilities were excellent and clean. However, it seemed that people tended to leave their water cups lying around the steam room which the staff seemed slow to clean up and also their bathroom facilities were cheap and tired. Something I admit the hotel has little control over but I feel nevertheless merits mention is that I shared the changing room with two "gentlemen" who were discussing how their friend's Audi R8 had been repossessed and how one of them had to pay a fine of €50 for "scrapping with that copper". Charming.

Overall I was very disappointed with our stay. While our room was comfortable and everyone was very friendly, the attentiveness of staff was woeful. This is not a high end luxury hotel as their website and more importantly, their prices suggest. It's average... incredibly average.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank N4G
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Dear N4G

Thank you for taking the time to pass on such detailed feedback. I am very disappointed on reading your comments as this is not our usual standards by any means & I do apologise for your inconvenience.

We have recently fully refurbished our Brasserie restaurant, as you mentioned, this was being done during your stay. During which time we opened up an alternative function room for our guests to dine in, offering the least amount of disruption as possible.

I am delighted you found the dinner of excellent quality but sorry you felt differently about the breakfast. Our team of staff and managers are constantly working together & making improvements throughout the Hotel with continued on-going projects, always aiming towards offering a 5 Star Service in a 4 Star Hotel.

Thank you again and please know I have taken all points on board

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed here on a trip with work. Arrived on Sunday morning and despite the hotel being busy due to One Direction being in town our room was ready. The twin room was lovely with plenty of room for 2 girls stuff. The staff on reception were really helpful and gave us a little map to point us in the right direction to get a bus into Dublin plus a timetable. We ate one night in the hotel and found it a bit pricey but that's to be expected in this sort of hotel. The service was good and the food excellent. We ventured out to the Carpenters Arms the next night which was cheaper and we thought better value for money but that's a pub for you. The spa area was lovely although we didn't expect to have to wear swimming hats. Breakfast was delicious with a good selection and great service. We were staying there for work and the reception were more than happy to organise taxis for us to our training centre. All in all great stay and I'd definitely return if I am in the area again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear rubysyummymummy

Many thanks for your feedback. I am delighted that you received an early check in and I hope this added to the overall enjoyment and comfort of your stay.

I am thrilled you chose to dine in the Hotel during your stay with us and that you each enjoyed your meal. Just to mention, swimming hats are essential for everyone using the pool, this is for health & safety reasons only. I do hope you relaxed in our Swimming Pool, Sauna, Jacuzzi & Steam room.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Love love love this hotel, it's clean modern and amenities are second to none.
The spa is exquisite very relaxing and lovely staff, pricy but worth it.
Food is beautiful and drinks where gorge best appletini in Dublin!
Rooms are spacious and clean with plenty of toiletries.
Will be back!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ciara W
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The hotel is listed as a 4 star, but I had mixed feelings about the whole stay. I was booked in for one night. The location of the hotel is ideal, close to Dublin but in the countryside. First impressions were a bit mixed, lobby and reception looked modern, however the signed football shirts in the reception area looked out of place, and cheapen the area, maybe better to have these in the bar. Staff at reception were polite and engaging. I was assigned a room on the first floor which was clean and tidy. Bathroom looked impressive but the shower was broken and leaking, however this would be the only fault I would have. However the evening reception and bar staff were very disappointing. After returning from Dublin, we sat in the lobby and had a few drinks with friends, the waiter came down to the table and took our order. 20 minutes had passed, so I went up to the bar to find out what had happened to our order. I was informed that the waiter had finished his shift and had gone home for the night, I reordered and took our drinks to the table. Back in the room, we phoned reception for a menu for room service and was advised very abruptly that there wasn’t one, and we could have sandwiches, which were of a poor standard, perhaps made by a night porter rather than the hotel chef. The next morning, in the breakfast room, I really did struggle to find a clean plate, I picked up at least 7, They had either bits of dried food stuck to them or were wet. I also asked for a take away cup for my coffee. The waiter agreed to get me one, but didn’t come back, seems like a recurring problem with staff here. I couldn’t recommend this hotel to my friends, which is a real shame.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Con N

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review and for such detailed feedback.

I am very disappointed on reading some of your comments as this is not our usual standard by any means. I do apologise for the issues you came across during your stay. I will certainly look into each of these to ensure they do not happen again.

We have constant standards of service' training and as a full team of staff and managers, we try to offer a 5 star service in a 4 star Hotel, so I do apologise you did not feel this way.

I would feel confident if you returned you would leave with a more positive opinion.

Guy Thompson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#69 of 150 in Dublin
The Croke Park
#6 of 150 in Dublin
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Castleknock Hotel? Share your experiences!