“Terrible food and bar service”

Castleknock Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Dublin, Ireland
“Terrible food and bar service”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I joined my family for an 80th birthday party . At 40 euro a head for the meal it wasn't cheap . From start to finish the meal was dreadful . There were two starters a melon starter and vegetable soup that could only be described as tasteless . This was followed by Turkey and ham that was so salty it was sickening . The vegetables that were served with it were so overcooked they were mush and very bland . There was no improvement on the desert . A small apple pie with a spot of cream lacked of flavour . I was so disappointed as I had looked forward to the meal . I wasn't the only one to feel this way . I don't know they could get such a simple dinner so wrong . Many of our party were also left disappointed with their meal .
I had a right to be sceptical about the breakfast the next morning . The hot food was Luke warm and must have been the cheapest produce that the hotel could source . We had to witness an older staff member berate a young girl on how to carry dishes and we were not asked did we want tea or coffee instead we had to get up and ask another waitress for some .
We stayed for lunch as some of our party were playing golf . A portion of chips took more than 40 minutes to reach our table . I thought that they were digging the potatoes themselves . The chips were very nice but it was to little to late . I then went to the bar to get a soft drink . I was ignored for 15 minutes before I was eventually served with no apologies . One of our party was served soup with no spoon and she had to walk around looking for staff to get one .
On the plus side the rooms were very nice and clean and the pool facilities were also .
I won't be visiting this hotel again . There are much better hotels out there for the price we paid .

Room Tip: Stay away .
2 Thank Linda S
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Linda S

Thank you for your review.

Of course I am extremely disappointed reading your comments and truly sorry you felt this way.

We are very proud of the food we serve at Castleknock Hotel, which you can see in the fact that the Park Restaurant has won an AA Rosette award for the last 5 consecutive years. This shows we always try our very best to offer high quality food and service.

The standards you mention are not our normal standards by any means, please know I have taken note of each of your points and will ensure these situations do not arise again.

I do sincerely apologise for your dissatisfaction. If you did decide to return I would feel confident you would leave with a more positive opinion. I am glad you liked the bedrooms & had time to use our leisure facilities during your stay with us.

Guy Thompson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
County Donegal, Ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here only this week. Our experience was mixed?

On arrival we were met at reception by very nice and friendly staff .

We had booked a family room for three nights, B&B, one evening meal included.
At the time of booking this break we were attracted by the fact that there was a Kids Club and also a family pass to the zoo included. I should add we made our booking over the phone.

On arrival we were told that the Kids Club opened on Wednesday , not much use when you arrive on a Monday with two kids looking forward to the Kids Club that evening. We felt a little bit deceived at this stage.

We expressed our disappointment but we weren't really provided with any real explanation just a friendly smile.

The room while clean, wasn't suitable for a family - A double bed and a sofa pull/out bed equivalent in size to a single bed.

We contacted reception apparently this is a family room????

Apart from that the other features of the room were fine.

After organising a travel cot for the 5yr old we decided to go to the bar for some bar food and a couple of drinks.

From the bar menu we ordered two burgers and from the kids menu we ordered a kids burger and a fish & chip.

Our waiter didn't show any sense of initiative , brought us out the food, we had to ask him for cutlery, sauces etc. The quality of the food was average and could only be described a slight step up from what one might expect from a fast food chain.

We ordered two cordial drinks for the children, 90cent each - a bit mean I thought.

Whilst one can take or leave based on the price and go somewhere else to eat the more frustrating element was dealing with some staff who were obviously not on top of their game.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel for family's, especially those of us are used to going to various hotels around Ireland on family breaks.

Room Tip: Clarify what is a family room Clarify when the kids club takes place.
2 Thank JML742014
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear JML742014

Thank for your choosing Castleknock Hotel for your family break away. I am delighted our friendly reception staff offered you a warm welcome. It seems you chose one of our popular 54321 family packages which can include a family pass to Dublin Zoo.

I am sorry about the inconvenience of the Kids Club, this was our first year at Castleknock Hotel to open a Kids Club for the summer months. Because of this, we did need to amend the roster times at one stage and noted these on our website. These changes were subject to different guest demands, feedback and requirements.

I do sincerely apologise again that this impacted in a negative way on your arrival and throughout your stay. I do hope your children enjoyed the Kids Club on the Wednesday evening.

I have taken all of your points on board & again I do apologise.
This is not our usual standard of service & rest assured, I will ensure this type of waiter service does not happen again.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed for one night on way to another hotel. Room while comfortable not the best as it overlooked the back of kitchen and yard. There was a constant noise from an extract fan and the movement of bottle bins. Also it was a very warm day and with no air conditioning in the room the fan provided was of little use. We had to leave the window open for air which did not help with the noise. We had dinner in hotel and we tried the a la carte. The food was very good and reasonable with a nice selection of dishes.The waiter was efficient with just the right amount of conversation. So overall the food and the staff made up for the room location.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Kevin_BA1528BM

Thank you for writing your review & I am delighted you enjoyed your stay overall.

I have noted each of your points and I understand your negative comments and how this could cause inconvenience. A very small few of our 138 bedrooms are located close to fans. We do ensure the fans are on for the least amount of time possible, to help avoid any disruption to our guests.

Thank you for choosing the a la Carte menu in our Park Restaurant and I am glad you enjoyed your dining experience.

Yours Sincerely,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Stayed over one night and overall this is a good hotel: On arrival we were upgraded to a suite which was great news and did not disappoint: Reception staff were helpful also: Had dinner in the restaurant and all the staff were attentive (well done to Keith our waiter) food was good and had no complaints: same at breakfast the next morning all good: The main issue I would have with the hotel was the lobby area and entertainment: There was a singer entertaining on the night who was very good, but why oh why have him at the entrance to the hotel: People passing in and out to smoke and to exit and enter the hotel: the guy did not have a chance to create any sort of atmosphere: It would have been better to have the entertainment located further up the lobby otherwise whats the point???? . The rooms and general areas were spotless and as stated earlier overall it was a good experience...but sort out the entertainment the performers could not be getting a chance if the policy of placing them at the main exit continues.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear geogheganamg

Thank you for your review & I am delighted you got to avail of a complimentary upgrade to one of our 4 suites, I do hope this added to your comfort & enjoyment. I will ensure to pass on your comments to Keith who, I have no doubt, will be very proud that you found him helpful & attentive.

In relation to the location of our live entertainment that night, we completely agree with you.
For that particular weekend, we had forecasted an extremely busy evening & due to previous guest feedback we knew we would require more seating in our lobby. With our usual layout we knew our seating capacity would be stretched, therefore on this one occasion, we chose to move the entertainment to the main door to increase seating for everyone's comfort.

I am sorry this was an inconvenience to you and that it impacted in a negative way to your evening.

Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Really enjoyed staying in this hotel , the kids loved the swimming pool although they are only aloud in the swimming pool to a certain time. They even have a kids club but we didn't get to use this. They have a playground just at the back of the hotel which is perfect because they have the patio area where we could sit and have some drinks while the kids played. We got our dinner inclusive so we went to the brasserie for dinner. Food was delicious but there was a supplement of 6 euro on the steak which was fine. Very efficient staff, waitress called Caroline looked after us very well she was excellent with the kids and was very helpful with the menu, would highly recommend going to the restaurant for food but you should make a booking because the restaurant was very busy. Overall pleseant stay and cant wait to return in the future

Dear Jennifer C

Thank you for choosing to stay at Castleknock Hotel for your family break. I am delighted your kids had fun in our kiddies swimming pool. The south facing patio is ideal to sit & relax while your kids are in full view playing in the playground, I am thrilled you had time to sit here and unwind.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to Caroline. She will be very proud to know she added to your experience at Castleknock Hotel

Thank you again & we hope to welcome you and your family back soon

Ra'anana, Israel
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The hotel looks good and very clean, since it is a country club is has huge lawns outside and has a 'country' feel.
Hotel staff at the front desk are very helpful and friendly
view from room window can potentially be nice, however my room on the first floor was right above the hotel dumpster area. other than that the room was perfect: spacious, clean, smells nice, comfortable bed, both shower and bathtub in the bathroom and a big desk important for a business trip.
the hotel offers a discount when buying a breakfast coupon a day in advance.
very rich breakfast, includes hot food as well as fruits, cornflakes and patisseries.
the hotel is only 20 minutes drive from the airport, located very near the Phoenix park but is remote from the city center.

Room Tip: Room with even numbers around 118 are above the hotel dumpster area
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear TaliaH1981

Thank for your taking the time to pass on your review and I am delighted to know you enjoyed your stay. We are located in country side surroundings, yet at the same time, close to Dublin City Centre.

It is great to know you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including our reception staff, your bedroom & full Irish breakfast.

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Large chain country club style hotels would not be a norm for us when in Dublin. We know Dublin well and felt this would be an interesting change for a short stay. We came with two young children.

Initial impression was superb. The reception were, well, receptive. The young woman remembered our call, knew all the details, spoke to our kids, answered our questions and was really friendly. We were delighted. Throughout the stay this was replicated in the other reception staff.

The room was nice and roomy, despite two cots in it. Our view was of a tee box which fascinated my 15 month daughter. Comfy bed, clean and good shower.

The location is dependent on your purpose for being there. We had to visit Dublin city centre and Blanchardstown. The city is actually quite close, if you avoid rushour. However, there is no public transport, so cars or taxis are your only options. Blanchardstown was a nightmare to get to and from. Not a great place to stay if that is where you need to be.

The bars and lobby area and restaurants, which all merge together are large with loads of paneled wood. Even with a good number there, they feel quiet. There's also a quiet bar with no children allowed. There were plenty of kids there at the same time as us and the hotel is set to cater for them. In particular, we availed of the pool, but there is a kids club, etc., too. (Also note, the hotel is close to the zoo which is ideal with children)

Returning to the bar/restaurant, I would like to mention two negatives:
The first is just a quibble. We ate there, but felt the food too expensive for what was distinctly average fare.
The second is more serious. One evening, we were joined by several friends and family from the area for drinks and food. They managed to mess up our orders on 4 rounds of drinks, as well as one food order. Further, they left the empties and plates, piling up at our table for over two hours and had a generlly grumpy demeanour. Not impressed.

One final question: we ordered a children's ham sandwich and received crisps on the plate. Why? Difficult to get a child to focus good food in that situation.

Overall, we were quite happy. My wife thoroughly enjoyed it (she was not present for the evening of the messed orders) and would go back. I would consider it, certainly.

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank BACNeil
GM_Castleknock_Hotel, General Manager at Castleknock Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear BACNeil

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your review, this is greatly appreciated.

I am delighted to know that our reception team impressed you on arrival with their knowledge and friendliness.

Just to mention, there is a bus stop located approximately a 10 minute walk from the hotel, from where you can get the number 37 bus. This route goes to Blanchardstown & also to the City Centre.

I am glad you enjoyed the atmosphere in our open plan bar & lobby areas during your stay and your kids had fun in the pool.

I do apologise for your experience in relation to your orders. This is not our usual standard by any means & I will certainly take these points on board to avoid the situation re-occurring.
It is a great pity that this impacted on your overall stay & I do sincerely apologise.

I hope we can welcome you & your family back in the near future

Guy Thompson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Kilmainham
The Croke Park
#5 of 151 in Dublin
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#3 of 151 in Dublin

Been to Castleknock Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!