“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Twelfth Lock Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Where to start,
I booked a one night stay recently, when leaving the next morning I found my car had been broken into, I went to the desk explained my situation and asked for the cops to be called, I was not offered help , asked was I ok , nothing. and was charged 49.00 for the nights stay.
did not find the reception staff and manager helpful.
attitude of the staff is all wrong.
would seriously not recommend this place.
they say there is free Wi Fi but not in the room I stayed in

Room Tip: Do not stay here, nicer hotels around the area, noise from trains passing as well.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 25 January 2012

What a quaint hotel.
Staff very friendly and food very reasonably priced.

On entering th hotel the surrounding decor was very pleasant and quite modern. On being shown to our twin room, we were quite disippointed. The bedroom looked clean and was very comfortable But the smell of damp was unbareable. But then the smell of Lynnx Deodorant made it worse.
The bathroom looked very modern, but on closer inspection we found large damp patches on the ceiling and the wall was stained. Also there was smell of damp.
Would stay there again -But not in the room Singelgracht.

Room Tip: Stay away from the room - Singelgracht.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Very clean and friendly hotel. Close to Dublin and Blanchards Town Shopping Centre. Probably a bit too close to the railway line but good accommodation for all that. Friendly bar and good food. Just the place for a short break. Close to railway station and M50. David Friend

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2011

on a recent business trip to Dublin my usual hotel was booked up. I found this hotel using directory inquiries and rang. They had 1 room left so I booked it. I had great difficulty finding this hotel as I kept ending up on the motorway and driving for over an hour for what should have been a 5 min journey from blanchrdstown centre. Arrived eventually and were directed to our room downstairs. Noticed the carpet on stairs was torn and very dirty. Our room was a wheelchair accessable room. Don't know how anyone in a wheelchair could move around the room! The first thing I noticed when entering the room was the smell of damp. The curtains were closed and when I looked out all I could see was a brick wall about a foot from the window. When I looked in bathroom there was a wheelchair shower with kind of gate and shower curtain. I have never seen anything so dirty in my life. Mould all over the tiles. We ate upstairs in the restaraunt it was fine.
I was extremely tired as was up from 5am and slept very well. The bed was clean and comfortable. I don't know if I would have slept as well if I had not been exhausted as could hear the trains running.
Breakfast was half irish and can't really fault it.
The location of this hotel is beautiful along the canal and very convenient for m50 and shopping centre.
Unfortunately the cleanliness really lets it down.
Rates are very reasonable.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank sunshinegirl2012
Reviewed 18 August 2011

The good: very close to the Dublin orbital motorway, in a secluded area by a canal. Decent bar and restaurant, which seemed crowded with locals (always a good sign). Pleasant decor and friendly staff. Large, clean, well-appointed rooms, with a spacious bathroom attached.

However: all the rooms are at basement level. My room was far away from the bar, so instead of being kept awake by bar noise, I was kept awake by the extremely loud extractor fans and by the trains rattling past for variety. The view was onto a brick wall alongside the railway track. Oh, and the bathroom door didn't close properly.

If only the hotel could have been picked up and put a little further away from the railway, and if only the extractors could somehow be quietened.... this would be an excellent hotel. Maybe for those who fall asleep easily, it is!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank PhysPhil
Reviewed 31 December 2010

I was really looking forward to staying in this hotel as it really looks nice from a distance and i have heard good reviews about the bar and food, but we were very disappointed. The rooms are all downstairs - and the carpets in the hallways were really filthy and there was a strong smell of bleach on the way in which was very offputting. Our room was very small and very old fashioned. There were adaptor plugs in the sockets and a really old portable tv which showed only rte and tv3. The shower curtain was really filthywith mould as were the tiles in the shower. Very noisy as the bar and reception are overhead and you can hear high heels walking around all night. The only positives i could find were that the bed sheets and towels were very clean.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank irishtravelbee
Reviewed 4 October 2010

This has been our second visit to the Twelfth Lock and unfortunately, the experience was not as good as last time, one year ago.

But let's start with the positive remarks: We like the location of the hotel right on the Royal Canal, it is so peaceful and idyllic. We like the design that reminds of a boat and we like the restaurant with the comfortable arm chairs, the wooden, partly open walls that create some privacy, and the bar. The food is good and they have a big choice of cocktails (unfortunately, they changed the cocktail menu; we found them not as good as last year). To mention is also the lovely staff of the hotel, both at the reception and the restaurant. They are so helpful and friendly and they even welcomed us back.

The negative remarks: Since April this year, they have Friday Night Jam Sessions which is a cool thing if you want some live entertainment, but if you want to sleep, you definitely need earplugs which we didn't have. I couldn't sleep til 2 am... It really was very loud. Saturday night was better but not much. The place really is a popular spot for locals. We also regretted that they do not have a children's seat in the restaurant. As in many places in Dublin, a sign says that children are not aloud after 7 pm... We didn't mind...
It has been mentioned before that you hear noise from the trains - it is true, but at least on our side of the corridor (which is the one further away from the railway) it did not disturb us. We regretted it more that the rooms are downstairs, on the basement level (the hotel only has two levels, basement and ground floor). To have the view of the canal when looking out of the window would be fantastic...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Castleknock Hotel
#5 of 7 in Clondalkin
West County Hotel
West County Hotel
#84 of 152 in Dublin

Been to Twelfth Lock Hotel? Share your experiences!