“Wouldn't Eat but I'd Sleep” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Twelfth Lock Hotel

Twelfth Lock Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Castleknock
Enfield, Ireland
“Wouldn't Eat but I'd Sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Don't rate the grub after checking out breakfast on a couple of occasions but I think this is a grand spot for a couple of drinks on a summer evening!! plus the rooms are clean and fairly alright for €50 or thereabouts.

I wouldn't stay for a night of relaxation or luxury but if your having a couple of drinks and that i wouldn't mind staying there too much. A little noisy alright although if ya have had a few yourself its not too noticeable.

Put it this way.... I'd stay here again before I'd choose the Travellodge.

Room Tip: they are always booked out ahead of the weekend, get in early
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Didn't stay in hotel but used the venue to meet some friends for dinner and a few drinks. We all found the food good and had a great night catching up in the bar. There is seating outside to which I'd guest would be a lovely space to out when the weather is warm and watch the activity by the canal.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

When I read the existing TA reviews, I was worried that I had been booked in here for a one night stay on a business trip. But while it isn't perfect it's not as bad as some would have you believe.

Certainly the food in the restaurant was the best I had during my few days in Ireland. At breakfast I would strongly recommend the porridge with honey and pears - really well balanced and tasty. And how many people say that about porridge?

The rooms are on a lower ground floor level and there was no view from the window and very little light coming through it. There is a narrow walkway running outside the rooms but the windows had no kind of opening restrictions on them and if left open to air the room afford fairly easy access from the outside. Not that you would want to leave them open anyway as the Dublin to somewhere railway runs alongside the hotel and trains are fast and frequent between about 05.30 and midnight! I'm not a light sleeper and my room was on the canal side of the hotel but I was still aware of the noise and vibration of passing trains. All in all I wouldn't recommend this place for a light-sleeping claustrophobic.

The bed was comfortable and the room was basically furnished. Complimentary bottled water and a mini bar were nice touches but both bedroom and bathroom could do with freshening up.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the canal side of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2013 via mobile

Went here today for lunch and won't ever be returning. Firstly I asked for a high chair, they don't have them (this should of been my cue to leave!) anyway we stayed. surely in this day it doesnt cost much to have a high chair? Or else a note on the door babies not welcome. Service was pretty all over the place, food was ok a bit pricey for a salad. Anyway I won't be back.

• Stayed March 2013
      Cleanliness

Travellers are raving about these Castleknock hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2013

Never stayed in the hotel but we went here on New Year's day for food. It was our first time in the restaurant which was buzzing with people, which we took to be a good sign about the food. My boyfriend ordered lamb shank and I ordered a chicken fajita with chips. We thought it strange that my bf was given a steak knife when he had ordered lamb - we soon found out why. The lamb was like rubber, my bf had difficulty eating it, even with the steak knife. My chicken fajita was covered in sweet and sour sauce, which I hate (it didn't say anything about this sauce on the menu). We sent back 2 uneaten meals. The waiter was apologetic but we still had to pay full price and were not offered any type of discount. Needless to say we were both extremely disappointed with both the food and the service and will not be back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jane R
Berlin, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

This place needs some work. Yeah, it's cheap, but the annoyance factor isn't worth the money saved. The rooms are on the ground floor which gives them a subterranean feel. The rooms on the back of the hotel are right against a railroad and it sounds like the trains hurtling through are coming right through your window, which they practically are! You're so close you can see inside the passenger cars.

Wifi is not available in the rooms, only in the lobby and bar, and even there it's a very weak signal. The restaurant food is ok and decently priced and the staff were friendly. The hotel reception is constantly unmanned which was very annoying when we tried to organize how to get to the airport.

Bedroom looked worn and dingy. Sheets had holes and stains and the bathroom had water damage and some mildew.

Usually I am very forgiving when it comes to budget hotels, but this one had so many issues I had to call it like I see it. If you're looking to save money this is a good bet, but be prepared for e inconveniences!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

As a regular customer I was extremely disappointed in the service we received on our last visit. The staff could not get us out the door quick enough. While ordering last orders our party ordered 5 drinks there was 4 in the party. We were rudely told that the bar had a policy of one last drink per customer. When we questioned this policy as regulars who have never had an issue when ordering last orders were rudely told that this has always been their policy and either order or get out. We left and I emailed the hotel to express our disappointment regarding their customer service and to clarify if this intact their policy. I have to date over 3 weeks later not received an acknowledgment for this email or any explanation. We will not be returning.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wildwood99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castleknock
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley
The Courtyard
The Courtyard
#1 of 4 in Leixlip

Been to Twelfth Lock Hotel? Share your experiences!