“Our week at the Fitzpatrick”
Review of The Magpie Inn

The Magpie Inn
Ranked #13 of 28 Restaurants in Dalkey
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The food was good and very reasonable. The service was excellent and we went on a very crowded night.

1  Thank whatsnext4us

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Decided to try the Magpie for dinner have been there few times for pre dinner drinks.
got a table beside the bar, seemed like a nice menu, I had the fish cakes followed by a fish pie served in a skillet, the fish cakes laked fish, the fish pie was tasty but heavy on the tomatos.
my partner had the prawns.. the prawns were from the far east.. we were meters from the sea why cant restaurants offer local product. A very roudy group sat at the table beside us... ( very Very noisy ) there was no interventention from the management .... mabey they dont want dinners in this pub... not a great way to spend a night out.

1  Thank 747Frank
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I have been in this place a number of times recently and it gets better every time , they have great service , food and best of all Craft beers on tap and bottles with a fantastic range. Now if only other pubs in the area would follow suit and get good beer in such as Metalman then dalkey would be a great place to drink once more , Keep it up Magpie !!

1  Thank akaalanc
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We went in for a quick dinner. I used to go to the Magpie for lunch a while ago and have not been back recently. We ordered a lamb burger and a chicken fillet burger. I had the chicken fillet burger which was basically a chicken fillet with hummus on it with slices of tomato served in a huge bun. The rest of the plate was full of very very well cooked chips….husbands lamb burger was similar. The beers here are really good and we know the place is under new management and they are going to re focus the menu on offering smaller choices. for instance at the moment there are far too many choices available…they need to limit it and get it right..but the new owners know this and will address it..so we will be back to see what they do…for instance the staff don't try and sell the menu - we were asked did we want deserts but they didn't try and elaborate on the deserts available…a missed opportunity...

1  Thank scarke
Reviewed 10 May 2014

One of the best beer selections I have come across in a pub setting. Loads of crafts beers on draft too which is great. Well put together beer menu. Nice and busy when we arrived early saturday evening. I had oysters to start, very small not the cleanest opening of oysters I've seen. I had the feta and artichoke salad to follow, I went with the calamari for €3 extra without this optional extra I would say the salad was very overpriced at €9 for what was served. Partner she had the lamb burger at €16. The bun was a least double the size of the burger it looked comical and not in a good way. And the remainder of the plate was just chips. The burger itself did taste good but they really need to focus on presenting the food in a cleaner manner, the plate just looked like really cheap pub food. Over all the bill was very expensive for pub dinner and 4 beers. I had no problem paying the premium for the craft beers but the food was overpriced for what was provided. Service was ok if not a bit muddled. Instead of staff having set tables to wait on, they all did every table which did lead to confusion a couple of times when trying to order a drink. Overall I would definitely go back for some beers and the venue, maybe a few nibbles at the bar but would not pay for the food again.

1  Thank diveshark1