“Biddy is so friendly”

Ranked #4 of 9 things to do in Dalkey
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We passed by Biddy's cottage and she happened to be outside. We recognised her from her Sunday Independent articles.
She was so warm, welcoming, beautiful and a joy to meet. She showed us around her cottage, explained what she did and let us view her paintings.
We really want to visit her on her storytelling nights.

3  Thank Laura-Sweeney

Reviewed 13 August 2014

My Mam surprised my sister & I with an evening of storytelling at Biddy's cottage last night. Wow !! What an incredible woman & experience. Biddy is an amazing woman and it was a truly brilliant evening of laughs & historic anecdotes. From our initial warm greeting to our hugs goodbye, Biddy was so warm & kind. A must do for all. Couldn't recommend it more X

3  Thank Gail2910
Reviewed 12 August 2014

What a lovely night out, I would really recommend the Story nights for both tourists to Dalkey and also to us that live here and are interested in the Ireland of yesteryear. I had always enjoyed Biddy’s writing as a journalist in the past, I always loved how she wrote – her unique engaging, compassionate style,– she leaves a real impression. For this reason, I was excited to get the opportunity to go to her story telling night, and it certainly didn't disappoint. She opens her door and invites you in like an old friend to her open fire. You are transported to a time of Ireland past .. it’s traditions, photos, stories, crafts and the resourcefulness of our ancestors who lived in times of hardships. Biddy is hilarious and her home is surrounded by her creativity – every item (including her paintings) has a story. You don’t expect for her age to have so much knowledge of Ireland’s past, but her passion is preserving folklore and it shows. The night is finished off then with tea and delicious oatcakes made from a recipe of many, many, many years ago.
My tip would be to get out to Dalkey early as it is a truly beautiful part of Dublin, Walk it's coasts and up to Killiney Hill, then finish off your day at Biddy’s (well that is if you are out there on Tuesday or Thursday, when her Story Telling nights are on)

7  Thank mackers1001
Reviewed 12 August 2014

A truly beautiful evening that has to be experienced. Go back in time and feel Ireland of old. A rare find.
Biddy welcomes you in to her home in a manner which could only be found in Ireland and shares some magic.

3  Thank ShayO7777777
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My daughters and I just returned from our fantastic holiday in the lovely seaside village of Dalkey. We had the good fortune to experience a very unique and magical evening with Biddy McLaughlin. Little did we know what an enchanting evening we would experience. She welcomed us into her beautiful and authentic Irish cottage: complete with a cozy hearth and a plethora of her hand made paintings adorning the walls. Biddy invited us into her enchanted world of Irish storytelling as we enjoyed tea and homemade oatcakes. This lovely visit with Biddy, in her most cozy cottage, was a highlight of our trip! We entered the red half-door as tourists and left as good friends. Thanks Biddy!!!!

2  Thank Joyce D