“Mixed Feelings”

Ireland
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed 27 May 2011

The good points:
Nice food in the bar. We ate there for the two nights and I have to say the food was lovely. The staff were friendly and helpful. They have a nice kids menu which isn’t just nuggets and chips which was refreshing.
The drawing rooms and bar area’s in the main hotel are lovely.
The majority of the grounds are nice surrounding the hotel.
Mixed feeling points (which are mainly to do with value for money):
When booking Finnstown we were told we wouldn’t be in the main house so to be fair I wasn’t expecting to be, but the room we were in was called a ‘Golf Suite’ across from the house and it is understandable why we were put there as we were a family of 2 adults and 2 children but it wasn’t exactly a nice room. It was clean with a double bed, single bed and camp bed – camp bed though? Im not sure if they have anywhere else to accommodate families but it does feel like some hotels just shove families into the less than nice rooms and in hotel was no different.
On the package we booked, it included hot chocolate on arrival for the kids and tea/coffee for the adults. I only remembered about the offer the day after check in so that lunch time I asked for the hot chocolate and tea. I was totally mortified having to ask but I thought why not seeing as we were supposed to get it. The receptionist filled out a slip of paper to state the kids got free hot chocolate and never put down the tea/coffee. Had to ask again for that. Morto. But she apologies and wrote it down. I just wish they gave it to us without having to go beg for it.
We had a few issues like above where things were advertised but never came. Wasn’t that big of a deal but I think now a day’s people really want to get what they paid for and in some instances e.g. with the breakfast there was no hash browns as advertised and there was no vegetarian sausage as advertised with the veggie breakfast. The thing that really annoyed us was that we weren’t told about this until we asked where they were – maybe they thought we wouldn’t notice but I don’t think that is very good customer service. There was also no jelly with the ‘jelly and ice cream’ which accompanied the kids meals. The first night no one mentioned it, just gave us two bowls of ice cream – my daughter instantly wondering where was the jelly. The second night, same thing again – no jelly, just ice cream but this time we were not just expected to ignore the fact that the jelly wasn’t in the bowl, the waiter apologised and said they had no jelly.
On a different note, we used the pool and the kids loved it. It is small (and the water is VERY warm) but they didn’t mind.
All in all, probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
BarryMaher, General Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2011
Dear IrelandTwiggy,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Finnstown Country House Hotel. I am sorry the standard of the bedroom did not match your expectations. We try to allocate the best rooms to match guests needs and am truly sorry we failed on this occassion. We are well known by our guests for our food and service and am delighted you found these areas of the hotel to be above par. I was dissappointed to hear we did not have all items on the menu during your visit nor was there the offer of the tea/ coffee and hot hot chocolate that you had already paid for as part of the package. It is not our intention to have guests looking for items that are included with their stay. We have carried out full training with our reception team on this package to make sure this does not happen again in the future, we have also re-checked all our menu offerings to make sure all extras that are on the menu's are available to the guests as stated.

Thank you for your comments and I am positive that due to your feedback we can continue to improve. If you have any further comments or are staying again please do not hesitate to contact me at the hotel on 016010700

Barry Maher

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 11 April 2011

Stayed in Finnstown as a wedding guest, when we first checked in we found our room to be located in another building, this was not a problem in itself, however the room stank of stale cigarette smoke!!!!!! We were allocated a different room number 42 in the main house all seemed perfect. After a superb wedding, food and service were excellent we returned to our room about 1am looking forward to a nice restful sleep, (we don’t get away much with two small kids at home) – think again the noise from air-locked pipes in our bathroom was horrendous!!!!! My husband figured out at 5am that leaving the hot tap running a little solved the problem, resulting in no hot water for a shower in the morning. Staff the next morning weren’t too bothered with our complaint, I will not be recommending or returning to Finnstown House in the future.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
FinnstownHouseHotel, General Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2011
Dear C_K2011046,
Thank you for taking the time to review Finnstown Country House Hotel, I am very dissappointed to hear that a problem in your bedroom has put you off staying with us again. We take all complaints very seriously and after your comments to our front desk team we were able to fix the maintanence issue. I am glad you enjoyed the rest of your evening in our ballroom. The hotel is well known for its food and service and am delighted you found both to be of high standard.

Again please accept my sincere apologies for the problem in the room during the night. If you wish to discuss this further or have any other comments or feedback please do not hesitate to contact me personally

cork
Reviewed 26 March 2011

we stayed here for 2 nights with our 2 young children, the room 108 was big, clean and lovely beside the cute warm pool.the food is amazing and great value in the dining room, breakfast was freshly made crepes and real fruit salad as well as good quality meats in the fry.the hotel is full of painting and antiques and all kept amazingly dust free.the staff are really friendly and accomodating and the hotel manager Barry is super attentive and goes around the breakfast room to all the residents.the grounds are so lovely and to wake up and hear the birds singing is not what you expect of a hotel 20 mins from the city centre using a sat.nav. we will deffo go again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dear coleendelux,

Thank you for taking the time to review Finnstown Country House Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your comments to our hotel staff who love to hear how their work has been noticed by the guests. I look foward to welcoming you back to Finnstown again in the future

entebbe
Reviewed 4 March 2011

My spouse and I stayed here on a birthday treat. We had a lovely room in the main building, drinks in the elegant drawing room and dinner in the main dining room. Dinner was excellent and the service was perfect. The following morning breakfast was quick and plentiful with a buffet and a full cooked breakfast for everyone who could manage it!
The staff were all very friendly and pleasant and it was a real treat to have such nice old fashioned service from people who seemed to genuinely like their jobs.
The main house is absolutely beautiful, full of wonderful furniture and cosy fires. Our bedroom was well appointed with lovely fabrics and fittings. Free internet and good TV channels were another bonus as was the very good bathroom and nice toiletries. We are really pleased to have found this hotel and we will be back.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
FinnstownHouseHotel, General Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2011
Dear EntebbeEastafrican,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Finnstown Country House Hotel. I was very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. The staff and I are delighted when we hear we have made such a great impression on someones stay and look foward to welcoming you back again in the future.

cork
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Stayed in the FInnstown House Hotel for one night this weekend. I don't think I would go back. Myself and my boyfriend stayed here courtesy of a Christmas present from my family. While some parts of the hotel were lovely, particulary the drawing room where we had drinks, other parts were not so great. The room where we stayed which was across the road from the hotel was completely outdated. It was clean however it badly needs to be renovated. Curtains, tv, bathroom, kitchenette part all look like they have been there for a few hundred years!! Not quite the luxury we were expecting.
We were really excited about relaxing in the swimming pool in the afternoon but I have to say that it was such a let down. I couldnt bring myself to have a shower in the changing rooms after, I left that until I went back to my room because the showers looked so unappealing there. The pool area is so shabby, its like a shed. The "turkish baths" was simply a steam room which didnt work properly . Spent ten mins in there instead of the planned hour as it was so awful.
Had lovely meal in the bar Saturday night however the staff were a little all over the place. When I asked what the catch of the day was the waiter said "I dont have a clue I've just been sent up here!!"....and he didnt bother to go and find out!!!
The breakfast staff were very friendly although the breakfast was very messy. A wedding party from the previous night were very loud and intoxicated so it was hard to relax and enjoy the food.
Its a pity really coz the hotel itself could be fab

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
FinnstownHouseHotel, General Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2011
Dear socksocks,
Thank you for taking the time to review Finnstown Country House hotel. I was very dissappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay at the hotel. We do have several different types of rooms which are located between 3 buildings within our complex, we do try to allocate guests on their preferences and their requirments for the room. I am terribly sorry that the room did not meet with your expectations. The leisure centre is small and we are currently looking at making structural changes to this building. I was dissappointed to hear that you found one of our members of staff unhelpful when trying to place an order. We pride ourselves on the service that we give to our guests and will be conducting corrective training with all staff on the issues you encountered. We did have a large wedding party who had breakfast on the Sunday morning. I apologize if any of these guests caused you distress.

If you would like to discuss any of the points further I would appreciate if you contact me personally at the hotel.

The issues you experienced during your stay are very much the exception and not the rule here and I sincerly hope you try the hotel again to give us the opportunity to show this to you.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2011

I stayed at Finnstown last weekend with my husband and three children. I was really surprised at how lovely it was, as particularly when you travel with children, accomodation can be disappointing to say the least.
We had been worried prior to our arrival, as we knew our room was not in the main body of the old house, and so feared it would be some awful 1980's boxy room miles away from the hotel itself.
However the room was situated in an original building close to the hotel,- very large with ample space for us all. The furniture and fittings were attractive and the beds comfortable.
The hotel offered a nice bar menu at reasonable prices, and although we didn't dine in the Restaurant, I heard other guests raving about the food there. Breakfasts were fantastic with an extensive choice of cooked items, and staff were charming and very hospitable. (and didn't glare at our kids like they shouldn't be there!)
We used the pool a couple of times and though quite small was clean and pleasant.
All in all a really lovely stay, and in lovely surroundings with great staff. Will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
FinnstownHouseHotel, General Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2011
Dear mocm68,

Thank you for taking the time to review Finnstown Country House Hotel. I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Finnstown. We have alot of families that stay with us during weekends and school holidays and the staff work very hard to make sure children are given the same attention and professional service as all other groups of customer.

Thank you for the comments on our bar menu, we have recently changed this menu to have a wider selection and priced it to give customers a cheaper more informal option of dinning in the hotel.

Our restaurant is extremely popular locally and because of the hard work of the staff in the area we have built up a great reputation for food and service.

I hope to see you on your return when i hope you will have the chance to try our restaurant.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 February 2011

This is my first time to comment on a restaurant or hotel ( so bear with me ) but we felt we had to after our visit to the restaurant in Finnstown House Hotel. My husband and I had not made a booking as we initially went to try the bar food but after looking at the restaurant menu we decided to enquire. A lovely lady Irena met us in the restaurant and happily prepared a table for us, some people may have a problem with foreign staff but I think this lady may have worked in a top hotel before ( very courteous ) .

Firstly the menu is varied and very affordable something really for everyone, I am not a drinker but there was no problem with my husband getting a drink from the bar. The starter and main course where surprisingly nice and we had tea & coffee to follow, there was quite a buzz in the restaurant and the staff kept us entertained ( especially Frank! A scream ) and well looked after.

We would highly recommend a visit and will plan to come again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dh37
FinnstownHouseHotel, General Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2011
Dear dh37,
Thank you for taking the time to review Finnstown House Hotel. I was delighted to hear of your experience in our Peacock Restaurant, we are very proud of the standard of food and service we deliver in our outlets and we are lucky enough to have great staff such as Irena and Frank who work very hard to help every guest have a memorable experience. Both staff members were very happy to see their hard work did not go unnoticed and the review has really given them a huge boost.

I am glad you found the selection and pricing on the menu to be good as we have recently changed our menu with both these factors in mind, we love all feedback on this to help ourselves improve for the future and stay ahead of our competition.

I look foward to seeing you on your return where you could try out the rest of our facilities we have on offer.

Barry Maher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
The Court Yard Hotel
The Court Yard Hotel
#1 of 4 in Leixlip
Castleknock Hotel & Country Club

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!