“Lovely hotel and fantastic staff.”

Finnstown Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Finnstown House is a beautiful hotel with fantastic gardens and a peacock or two.

We stayed there in May 2013 as a group of two families with very small children. The little ones loved the gardens, peacocks and pool while the big ones were very content with the great breakfast (you can ask for pancakes, a full fry up and other options!!) the lovely bar and very helpful staff.

The family rooms are very large and very comfortable with a full size kettle and a fridge.

If you are there with children nearby Corkagh Park (less than 10 minutes drive) is great for long walks, a huge playground and a free petting zoo!

There were only a couple of negatives. The gardens did have some rubbish and staff are very slow to remove used glasses and dishes from the garden area. Also the pool water was a little milky looking and I suspect that the mild eye and sinus infections we all contracted were related to this.

We did send an e-mail regarding these issues to the hotel but did not get a response. If they had replied I don't think I would have mentioned the issues on Trip Advisor.

We would stay here again and recommend the hotel for family, couples and business stays.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank AndK
Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed 24 May 2013

We stayed here en route from London to Galway. After a long drive and ferry trip it was good to arrive here. We were travelling with our pet Labrador and she was allowed to stay in our room with us ( a designated pet room) which was great. The room was clean. The shower a bit weak. The furnishings OK for the price of he room. He breakfast was a bit disappointing. Eggs swimming in oil and sausages that I suspect were bought in Lidl rather than a local framers shop !

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Robert D
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Stayed here while guest at a wedding. Had a room across the lawn from the main building overlooking the tennis court. It was spacious with two double, comfortable beds. Decor and bathroom fittings a bit dated but in keeping with the period of the property. Nice toiletries; hairdryer; well stocked tea & coffee making facilities; and fridge in the room. Despite there being a lot of people in the hotel the room was quiet. We ate in the lounge and the food was well presented, very nice and reasonably priced. The breakfast selection was very satisfying with all the makings of a full Irish breakfast plus fruit, yogourts, pastries, juices etc and plentiful supplies of tea and coffee from the very pleasant staff. While we were not using this as a base to explore Dublin, the hotel's situation within beautiful grounds would be a lovely place to go back to after a hard day's sightseeing and maybe use the leisure centre. A country house experience with the city at your disposal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2013

When you come to this hotel, you will undoubtedly be impressed by their long driveway which leads to the gorgeous entrance of the hotel. Walking into this place, I felt as though I was in an American antebellum plantation home. However, the gorgeousness and serenity of the place was ruined the moment I stepped foot in the door by unruly children running around the lobby tackling each other and screaming, while their parents were totally engrossed in their own conversations. It seems that management had no problem with this. When I checked in, I found that my booking did not include breakfast, while the package I had bought online through a third-party site said that it did. The girl who checked me in, while she was pleasant, was not going to do anything about it. She told me to contact the other website and deal with it myself. Now, if customer service was what it should be, I would think they would have made some attempt to do something about it, as I had proof of my confirmation with these details, and the website which I pulled up for the receptionist, still clearly showed that breakfast was included with all purchases, so she could see exactly what I saw at the time of booking. After all, breakfast doesn't cost the hotel that much--they could have made some more of complimentary offering to me in this way. Had I known this, I most likely would have gone for a more cost effective option closer to Dublin, given they are a good 30 minutes outside of south city, without traffic. From here, I went to use the bathrooms (this was in the middle of the afternoon on a Thursday--a time of the week that one would think would be relatively quiet) and there was no toilet paper in any of the stalls! This just shows lack of attention to the basics! In my review, the saving grace for this hotel was its rooms. We were in room 26, and it was beautiful. The beds were quite comfortable, and it was VERY quiet. On Friday night, there was music playing quite loudly for a function, but I never heard a thing in my room and was able to fall fast asleep. Also, the rooms remained very dark, even once the sun came up. The bathrooms very very clean and the shower had great pressure. I didn't have a chance to use the leisure center, but I can tell you the pool is quite small--and you won't be able to swim laps if that is your intent. However, the pictures on the website are pretty clear about this aspect of the offerings. Be aware though--the prices in the bar at the hotel are WAY over priced. You'd be much better off going across the road to the local pub/restaurant where the prices are more reasonable. All in all, I am not entirely sure if I'd ever return after my experiences here, as the place is nice, but a bit of a letdown.

Room Tip: If you want something quiet, try those in the 20s, since they are downstairs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank greyhoundymom
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Overnight business stay. Second time at this location. Finnstown is a lovely building full of olde worlde charm but with modern, well equipped bedrooms. Great service from the staff particularly the receptionist who went the extra mile to assist when it was not absolutely necessary.
My only niggles relate to the Peacock restaurant. I decided to avail of the early-bird special of 2 courses for €20 (in my case €23.50 as I had a supplement for a good sirloin steak). This offer ran from 6-7:30pm and I arrived at 7:28pm only to find myself back in the bar by 8:10pm - to say that they rushed me through would be an understatement! However, I have no complaints about the food which was excellent.
Back in the Peacock restaurant for breakfast and my waiter was clearly just off the boat from Mumbai as his grasp of English was almost non-existent. I asked 3 times for kippers and was brought porridge...
I'm happy to recommend Finnstown to anyone in the vicinity on business as they do a very good job and it is nice to enjoy the traditional surroundings.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2013

Beautiful grounds leading up to the fine old buildings with old world charm.
Fine big rooms with all conveniences. We were there for a family funeral and the staff were very helpful and friendly throughout our stay. We spent a lot of time in the large comfortable sitting room where you can have very good bar food or even main course meals relaxing by the fire. This suited us more than going into the formal dining room although that looked lovely. One thing I would change is change the fire back from the coal effect gas for to the traditional open wood fire. The room deserves that extra bit of effort.
Would recommend as a place to stay while on the road for the west of Ireland.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2013

stayed in this hotel on a recent trip to lucan ,bedrooms were very spacious and clean , we decided to try the peacock restaurant in finnstown ,when we arrived it looked very busy , but we where ok to dine without a booking , so we decided to go for the four course dinner menu , excellent choices ! i had prawn and scallops very tasty indeed , also we had the baked goats chese , very good ,next was roast duck and a baked fillet of hake , both were of excellent quality and taste.
passion fruit pannacotta and a tiri misu ,that finished us off .!! great value for money
cant wait to return

Room Tip: we stayed in the main house
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Lucan Spa Hotel
Maldron Hotel Newlands Cross
Springfield Hotel
Springfield Hotel
#1 of 4 in Leixlip

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!