“Great Stay”

Finnstown Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Recently stayed at the hotel prior to returning to the UK. Found the staff to be very friendly and efficient. Stayed in one of the golf suites, which was spacious and clean. Had room service which was very tasty, best chowder I had in a long time and the burger was also very good. Would recommend. Great value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for golf suite!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Finnstown Castle Hotel

Reviewed 23 August 2013

Four fabulous days and nights here - Comfortable, spacious rooms, stunning grounds, excellent food and the staff treat you like family. Many thanks to Barry (the Manager) and Freda and Sean in the Dining room. Great road network gets you everywhere in no time at all. Loads of activity for all age groups

Room Tip: We love the Garden Suite. Have been staying there regularly for 15 years
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed in Finnstown House about 10 days ago for two nights with our 2 year old.
We were in one of the Golf Suites which overlooked the green. It was spacious and comfortable.
The grounds of the house are gorgeous and we had lovely walks.
We tried out the pool which was old fashioned but in a quirky way.
Best part about our stay was the staff, both the waiter at breakfast and the man on reception were outstanding and had a lot of time for us.
Breakfast was great. We didn't try their evening food.
This hotel is not a shiny new build type hotel but makes up for it in character and personality. We''ll definitely be back.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Finnstown House is close to Lucan village which is only 20 minutes or so by road from the centre of Dublin. The hotel has nice grounds which give a country feel to the place. The main hotel building is several hundred years old and much of the original architecture has been retained and renovated. Reception staff are very pleasant and helpful. The restaurant is very good although dinner, if not included in your stay, is a bit pricey.
The bar area is a bit small and can get quite crowded as a result - this in turn impacts on service. getting drinks after hours as a resident can also be a slow process.
Overall this is a pleasant place for a stay. The grounds are well suited to wedding photos.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Recently stayed here with my hubby and two young children. Very accessible hotel, ideally located outside Dublin. Family room very spacious and well decorated. Also had a fridge which can be a useful for babies bottles/drinks etc. Receptionist not up for much conversation but household staff, bar and restaurant staff and leisure centre staff all very friendly and approachable. Food was beautiful in the bar. overall a fantastic stay, would highly recommend this hotel for families, looking forward to returning!!

3  Thank H C
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I attended a wedding in Finnstown House on the night of June 1st, and was a resident of the hotel. The next day, my mother-in-law asked would I get her a glass of water to take pills with. I waited a few minutes at the bar, and then two girls came out, one in a bar uniform, and one in a housekeeping uniform. I asked could I just have a pint of tap water and the bar girl said she'd go get someone to get it for me, which seemed odd as it was only tap water.
Meanwhile, the girl in the housekeeping uniform (who was very unprofessionally chewing gum the whole time with her mouth open) nodded at me, went and got a glass, filled it with ice, went to the tap and filled the glass with water. She came over to me, put two straws in the glass. I held my hand out and said "Thanks", and she stared me right in the eyes, took a big drink out of the glass, and went "aaah", then walked off with the water, smiling to herself.
I was tempted to ask for a manager and complain, but as it was a family wedding on my husband's side, I decided not to say anything, but it is the weirdest, most bizzare thing I have ever witnessed, and I personally would want to know immediately if any of my employees were taunting and mocking customers in such a way.
I don't even know where to start to be honest because it was just really REALLY weird. Chewing gum and having housekeeping staff drinking behind the bar would already be unacceptable in most hotels, even without the weird rude way she then acted.

I wasn't going to complain because it was my husband's family hosting the wedding, but we decided not to stay another night in the hotel because of this incident, and I know that if my staff acted in a way that actively drove customers out of the building, I would absolutely want to know, HOWEVER I contacted the staff at Finnstown weeks ago, and apart from asking for contact details, I have been ignored.

It was a decidedly average hotel apart from the poor service. It's a nice enough building and grounds but the decor is poor and the food was not very good. I know it's hard to cater for a lot of people at a wedding, but the bar food and breakfast were only alright too. Overall I would have said it was "Okay" but this incident and their lack of caring about it are just awful examples of customer service.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are better.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank 243Confused
BarryMaher, Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your complaint, I wish to apologise most sincerly for the poor level of service you received. Our Bar Manager has asked me to also add his apologies to this reply. I wish to ensure you that corrective action has been taken. We strive to offer a friendly efficient service in comfortable surroundings.
We like to handle all complaints directly and speak with you personally to resolve your complaints this is why we had requested your contact details. If you would like to discuss this further please contact me personally at the Hotel.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

This was a hidden gem with old time charm at an amazing price! It had nice amenities as well and decent service. The hotel was conveniently located 20 min from dublin airport. i would definitely stay there again and Highly recommend it to anyone traveling to or from Dublin that wants a quiet location and a reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#1 of 3 in Castleknock
The Court Yard Hotel
The Court Yard Hotel
#1 of 4 in Leixlip

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!