“Family Gathering”

Finnstown Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I stayed here with my husband, my sister and my parents in October 2013. We had travelled from UK to all meet up. Wonderful hotel in beautiful surroundings. The staff were fantastic nothing was too much trouble. Food was good and the bedrooms were nice.

We were delighted to find a good hotel which allows dogs. Not too many of them in Ireland

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle T

Reviewed 10 October 2013

My wife and I stayed at Finnstown Country House Hotel for 4 nights in October 2013.
The Hotel is lovely and set in spacious grounds, we were allocated a room in an annexe away from the main building, the room was spacious and well maintained and no more than a minutes walk from the main building.
The hotel staff were all friendly and very helpful, the food and drink was reasonably priced, breakfast was superb.
We used the pool and gym.
We are frequent visitors to Ireland and have used several Dublin County hotels, this was our first visit to the Finnstown Country House Hotel and it won't be our last.

Room Tip: Rooms in the Annexe are spacious and well appointed
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I booked a weekend for myself and my husband for our 1st Wedding Anniversary at the Finnstown Hotel, and did put a note with the booking that it was our anniversary. The hotel looked lovely and had been recommended by a work colleague. The web site stated a Standard room would be allocated in the main hotel, king size bed and flat screen Digital TV etc. We were very disappointed. The room allocated to us was round the back of the hotel in the rooms used for long stays/business trips, we had expected to stay in the main hotel itself, The room was very tired, the walls badly marked, carpet grubby, the bed a double and very uncomfortable and the pillows really hard. We did ask the lady cleaning the room for different pillows which she kindly left but they weren’t much better. The TV was old and definitely not a flat screen (we were out quite a lot so didn’t really watch the TV, but it should have been as described). Breakfast was ok, but I had to ask several times for Tea/Coffee on both mornings, and for hot food as some of the hot plates were empty, I expect much better service in a 4star hotel, and only expect to ask for something once. We paid over 200.00 euros for a two night stay B&B and feel it was very poor value for money. We stayed in a Premier Inn in Glasgow two weekends ago for a quarter of the price in a much nicer, brighter and larger room with an extremely comfortable bed. Sorry but we won’t be returning to Finnstown Hotel, it definitely was not worth the money.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank techform
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is a lovely location, not too far out of Dublin and must once have been a very grand house indeed. Landscaped gardens and peacocks roaming add to this sense of country retreat, but I think this opulent approach sets expectations that the hotel itself cant deliver.

The reception is past bar and resteraunt and around a corner, when finally located the single overworked girl seemed more frayed then truly welcoming. Pleasant enough but hardly overwhelming with the Irish charm.

Rooms are well appointed and clean but perhaps a little careworn, all the usuals are there and not in the cookie cutter style of one of the major chains.

Comefortable bed and decent shower, the 2 holy grail of the business traveller meant I would definitely be back. The highlight was the breakfast, now when they say full Irish you will be indeed very full of quality Irish produce, it is absolutely top drawer, from the decent thick cut bacon to the hearty black and white pudding, top coffee and delicious fresh fruit sealed the deal on a breakfast to remember.

Now I was staying on a corporate rate, so 65 Euro per night inc breakfast may not be available to all, but my experience is our lads often don't do much better than joe public, and often worse! So this represents extraordinary value so close to the capital.

So top of the range boutique country house it is not, but cracking good value with a breakfast of the gods is definitely on offer, so I will be back........

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tinym32
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Our last of a 3 week west coast adventure was spent here before flight out of Dublin. What a great choice! Great setting, very comfy, peaceful, used the spa pool and fitness center, very relaxing after other B&Bs. only 20 mins from airport, easy drive in. Our favorite

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Once again my family and I spent four wonderful days in the wonderful Finnstown House in Lucan. I believe the staff in the hotel are unique, some members are there since I first visited the hotel over 20 years ago, they are genuinely there to help and seem to enjoy doing so. Being from the country myself the hotel offers a relaxed atmosphere with fabulous competively priced food, you have the option of eating in the bar or diningroom. The family rooms are spacious not like some of the city hotels as are the grounds. The hotel comes with the benefit of a tennis court and a small leisure centre with pool, a great distraction for the kids.
Dublins city centre is minutes drive away as are numerous amenities such as shopping centres and the zoo.
Finnstown might not be the obvious choice for a short break but we as a family have always gone home feeling refreshed which to us is what its all about.
ps. Its great value as well!

Room Tip: Talk to the staff they will ensure you get a suitable room
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 September 2013

My wife and myself have just returned from a three day break. It is our second time in Finnstown Country House Hotel and on both occasions we could not fault it. From our initial contact via phone call and Email to meeting the staff they were fabulous. I have a mobility disability and the staff on reception made sure I was given a room next to the lift. The restaurant staff were marvellous and the Chef is worth his/her weight in gold. I have a special diet yet it did not present a problem. Both my wife and myself highly recommend the Finnstown Country House Hotel. If you want a quiet relaxing stay or a base to tour Dublin (a short 15 minute drive) then this hotel would suit your needs admirably. Comfortable room, great food, helpful staff, ease of parking, excellent value, in a lovely tranquil setting. You could not ask for more.

Room Tip: Explain your requirements to the staff on reception by phone or Email and they will endeavour to cat...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tony L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Lucan Spa Hotel
Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley
The Court Yard Hotel
The Court Yard Hotel
#1 of 4 in Leixlip

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!