“Character Hotel”

Finnstown Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
“Character Hotel”
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely features in the hotel. Fire in the bar gives it a cosy feeling. Good bar food but breakfast was outstanding. Used the gym, but forgot the costume to try the pool which looked very inviting. Stayed for business so the location out of the centre was not an issue.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear suzanneb933,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear your valued comments & will certainly pass on your kind words to the breakfast chef and his team.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Terry O' Brien

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I booked a Christmas break for myself and my husband the weekend of the 28th December. A few hiccups concerning dining experience arose - firstly on the Saturday morning we encountered quite a cold, unapologetic waitress as I kindly brought her attention to the out of date (by a week) yoghurts being served. This situation was subsequently rectified by management as I reported this to reception. Second evening dining experience in the Peacock Restaurant - we were shown to the back room, even though a table was available in the front area (at which another couple who arrived after us were seated, despite the fact the we had reserved). This was a dimly lit, cold, un atmospheric room with an almost abandoned feel - the other tables were not set and thrown together as though this room was unused - not a pleasant experience. On Sunday morning when we brought our bags to the car before checkout we were stunned to find that the car had been broken into - the back side window was smashed. We reported this to reception (a very kind and professional girl called Karen) who called the guards. At this stage we realised from another man that his car had also been broken into. We were told that the lady who had access to the CCTV wouldn't be in until the following morning upon whose return, we were promised, we would receive a call...Never happened. We lost a day of our holidays waiting around the lobby, patching up the back window for the long drive back to Cork in the wind and rain - we couldn't do what we had planned that day as the car couldn't be left unattended. We also had to stop en route numerous times to readjust the bags/tape etc on the window. The guard was the only person who contacted us on our return. Some investment would want to be made regarding security on these premises - perhaps a 24 hour security guard, especially as there seems to be no point here having cameras. All in all, a very disappointing weekend away and a place to which we won't be returning in the future.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank CaptainBlue76
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Deb B,

Thank you for your mail & for taking the time to review your recent experience with us at Finnstown Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that you did not get to enjoy the true Finnstown Dining offer at its best. We do strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and it’s disappointing that we failed to do so on this occasion. I do hope we can welcome you back to the Peacock Restaurant in the future where we can offer you a warm & personal welcome along with a wonderful dining experience.

I am shocked to learn of the incident with your car. This is most certainly not the norm here at the hotel. I am happy to advise that we have recently carried out some additional upgrades at the hotel to include increased outside lighting along with additional CCTC cameras which I trust should help eliminate such incidents from occurring in the future.

If you wish to pass over your details I would be most happy to contact you directly to discuss further.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to Finnstown as our guest to redeem your faith in our hotel and experience the finest from the Finnstown family.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I went on a two night break to his superb country house hotel in Lucan.
I booked through Hotel.com and book two nights with breakfast. I phoned ahead to check all was in order and was told that breakfast was not included and the hotel.com had made a mistake. I contacted hotel.com and. they suggested that we pay for the breakfast and they would reimburse me. As I was not happy about this I spoke will the hotel a couple of times and the eventually agreed to include the breakfasts. Well done hotel. When we arrived we were given a room with a double bed we had requested a king size. after a visit to reception we were upgraded to a suite with a super king bed again well done hotel. The hotel sits in its own grounds it is extremely well kept there are a number of lovely features through the grounds fountain etc. on the drive on the way up you will find an ostrich and a pair of lamas a lovely addition. The peacocks wander around the main hotel the hotel is stunning inside and out.
The swimming pool is in a separate. Building and is very good.
There is a a great bar menu.
The one thing i must say about the hotel is that the staff were all extremely friendly and professional without great staff you don't have a great hotel no worries on that score here
All in all a great pace to stay thank you for a great time.

Room Tip: Don't book through hotel.com
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank colin k
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear ColinK,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us here at Finnstown Country House Hotel.

I believe I was speaking with you prior to arrival and investigated the breakfast issue with Hotels.com. We were very happy to include this for you. As I remember this was a special trip away for you and your wife and we wanted to ensure that this was completely hassle free for you both.

It’s lovely to hear that you noticed all the different features on the grounds, especially the new additional to the Finnstown Family.

Our staff are truly the heart of the operation here at Finnstown & I will most certainly pass on your kind words for them all to enjoy.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great say and thanks again for your positive review.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Just back from 2 night stay with my husband. The staff were so helpful and friendly. The food was fantastic we ate in the peacock restaurant and it was the best meal I have had in a long time. Breakfast on both morning was delicious and great portion size. The bar is really cosy and welcoming. I will definitely return. A great location shart drive into the city and yet so peaceful.
Only downfall is leisure centre while the staff are friendly the pool warm the facility is tired,dated in all though i will be returning.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear delta816,

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us at Finnstown Country House Hotel.

It was a delight to read that you enjoyed your stay & it was a pleasure to have you with us.

We do have some exciting plans for the Leisure Centre for 2014 so hopefully you will experience this first hand upon your return to the hotel.

Look forward to welcoming you back to Finnstown in the future.

Best,
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I am just back from a 2 night stay at this hotel with my boyfriend. We have never felt so at home in a hotel! The service was excellent, particularly at breakfast as the staff were chatty and interested in our plans for the day. The room was cosy and comfortable. We used the gym and pool twice and were very impressed. The lounge area is lovely for a few drinks at night. The breakfast was brilliant, we didn't even need to have lunch as we were so full from the breakfast. Despite not being in central Dublin, the bus stop is just outside the hotel grounds which were also beautiful. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Lower ground floor was lovely.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Clarie1231994,

I will certainly pass on your comments for all the team to enjoy.

We have tried to create a private paradise here at Finnstown, a feeling of home from home, providing an excellent base for shopping and sight -seeing or for some good old fashioned rest & relaxation.

Thanks again for taking the time to post such a positive review & I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Best,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This review is very late in coming but I promised myself that I would write one after myself and my now wife had our wedding reception held in Finnstown in October of last year. We had looked at a number of possible venues around Dublin before we settled on Finnstown. Our main priorities for the picking a venue were the hotel itself, food and staff.

Hotel: The second we pulled up to Finnstown I was already beginning to be sold on the place. The grounds are idyllic and immaculately maintained. The main hotel building itself holds a unique charm that you just cannot get with the big modern day franchised hotels. The wedding reception hall was just what we needed (we had circa 170 guest and all fitted comfortably) and on the day was laid out beautifully. Guest bedrooms are spacious, modern (I think the rooms were upgraded in recent years) and comfortable.

Food: We like to consider ourselves big foodies so the meal was very important to us. People we spoke to who had attended weddings here before had all commented that the meal was fantastic so our expectations were high. We were not disappointed and indeed we have received a myriad of favourable comments from our own wedding guest about the meal.

Staff: Firstly we would like to say thank you to Miro and all the staff at Finnstown. I have previously worked in the hotel industry so would like to think I’ve a good idea of what good service is. Also I’ve been to other weddings where the venue, meal etc. are brilliant but the staff don’t deliver which can give people a negative feeling and inevitably this is what they remember. Not an issue at Finnstown. All the management in Finnstown are complete professionals and the staff well trained and organised. Miro our wedding co-ordinator was ever present to our needs on the day. Also Miro and Silvano were very courteous and helpful when dealing with us leading up to the wedding day.

To conclude, I would highly recommend Finnstown Country House as a wedding venue. As I said at the start of this review we had looked at a number of other venues around Dublin, some considerably more expensive than Finnstown but I don’t think any of them could tick all the boxes like Finnstown house did.

Many thanks,
Sean and Audrey

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SR00N
Dear Sean & Audrey,

Thank you for such a wonderful review & for taking the time to share your experience with us all.

Firstly, Congratulations to you both & I do hope married life is treating you well.

With our stunning mature grounds, unique charm, excellent food & hospitality we believe our Hotel has about everything you could want for that very special Wedding day.

We have a well earned reputation for exquisite food & service & I am glad this was experienced by all your guests on the day in question. Our Head Chef and his team will be thrilled that they exceed your high expectations.

At Finnstown Country House Hotel we do pride ourselves on Customer Care and as a Team we strive to provide the traditional Irish Hotel experience, offering each guest a warm and personal welcome. Our staff are the heart of the operation at the hotel & I will be sure to pass on your review for all the team to enjoy, especially Miro & Silvano.

At Finnstown we believe that ‘Happily Ever After’ isn’t just for fairytales & do our very best to help in creating that once off magical day for you.

Thank you kindly from all the Finnstown Family & we look forward to welcoming you back for your 1st Anniversary stay with us.

Warm Regards,
Terry
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Had a mid week break here with a voucher and was very impressed with the hotel. The staff on reception were excellent in their customer service. The room was a good size and very comfortable and warm. Breakfast was also good and we ate evening meals both nights in the hotel which was of a high standard. Didn't want to leave the hotel at night as it was so cosy and relaxing sitting on great comfy settees beside roaring fires. The grounds were lovely, we didnt use the pool but it looked nice, though small.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear bcklNorthernIreland,

Thank you for your review & kind words following your stay with us here at Finnstown Country House Hotel. It was a real pleasure to read.

We do believe once you’ve experienced our charm, you will never want to leave!

Terry O’ Brien
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lucan
The Court Yard Hotel
The Court Yard Hotel
#1 of 4 in Leixlip

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!