“Girly night away”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
Dublin
“Girly night away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Absolutely great value! Me and 2 friends got this hotel on hotelsireland for €30 each for an overnight stay and breakfast and it was so worth it. The triple room was really spacious and clean (apart from a little mark or two on the wall). The grounds are very well kept and lovely for a little stroll around. The staff are really friendly, accommodating and personable and so pleasant in the breakfast area in the morning. We got lovely fresh pancakes.. after we'd pigged out on a tasty buffet.
The rooms through the walls are a little noisy but we were drunk enough not to notice too much!
Will be back in May for round 2

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Hi emcs06,

I hope this mail finds you well.

Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay with us.

It’s very refreshing to read more positive comments about the staff. They really are the heart of the operation here at the hotel and I will be sure to pass on your comments for all to enjoy.

I am delighted to hear you will be back again & look forward to seeing you in May.

Terry O’ Brien

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Belfast, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Cant say Ive ever stayed here but I did try to book a room for my friends birthday which was booked in here. We don't live in the area so we needed a room.

I called up and was told there were 2 rooms still available but I needed to call back at 7.00am. I duly called back and was told there was only one room left, I said thats fine I only need one, I was asked for the name of the bride, I had already explained it was a birthday event. When I repeated that he said they had no rooms.

I can take an honest no rooms but this was neither honest or polite, so I can honestly say I will never stay here. I have favourite hotels in Dublin anyway and I will stay there. The Merrion is an outstanding hotel with marvellous staff, both polite and honest.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear labella102,

Thank you for your mail.

I am very sorry but also surprised to learn of your experience when you attempted to make a reservation here with us at Finnstown Country House Hotel. This is most certainly not standard procedure at the hotel.

If you would be so kind as to contact me directly I can get the finer details from you, such as the date you were looking to book in for etc. I can then investigate this matter. You can contact me directly on terry@finnstown-hotel.ie

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

We do look forward to welcoming you to the hotel for your friend’s birthday event.

Regards,
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed here a long time ago for a wedding, so when the opportunity came up to stay again I took it. We were organising a business event that spread meetings out over two days and involved about a dozen of us staying overnight.

The rates initially quoted were only ok, but we negotiated them down a little to a reasonable price. They were happy to negotiate, which is always welcome.

Reception is only ok; I had a couple of occasions where I required assistance and there was always a queue. The bar is very nice, and well stocked, although the tap display is enormous and actually makes drinking at the bar unpleasant. We used the restaurant for an event dinner, and everyone complimented the food, and again for breakfast, which was excellent. The rooms were very good, spacious and comfortable, although the TV channel choice was poor. The bed and bathroom were excellent. the halls and corridors, and general decor throughout, are ever-so-slightly-faded, but still very good. Paintings on the walls are often hung at odd angles, or juxtaposed bizarrely, so the overall impression is one of contained chaos. The grounds are very pleasant, better than most, with an impressive entrance and avenue that makes you feel you have actually arrived somewhere. There was a pool and gym, I didnt use either, but was told by many colleagues that while they were delighted to get the chance of a dip, the pool was too small to exercise properly.

Staff were helpful, if occasionally a little abrupt on the phone when making arrangements. Overall, I would certainly recommend Finnstown, but be prepared to negotiate on the price first.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Cathalr_99,

Thanks for taking the time to share your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor.

It is very refreshing to read your positive comments and I will be sure to pass onto them team for all to enjoy. However, I am disappointed to learn that there were some points in which you were unhappy with. I will certainly highlight these comments for the different departments to review.

You will be please to know that we do have some exciting plans for the hotel in the coming months to include an upgrade of our Leisure Centre and Swimming Pool.

I do hope we can welcome you back as a guest of Finnstown in the near future.

Cork
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Hotel is pricey for what it is, if you are planning on heading into Dublin then this is not the place. It's a good but out and not on the Luas (tram line). Restaurant is nothing special, bar food looked fine, possibly a better option. Breakfast was good with a proper waiter service and good choose of hot plates.

• Stayed January 2014
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Hi FilCork,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Finnstown Country House Hotel.

I hope you weren’t disappointed with the hotel’s location. We are based in Lucan, Co Dublin so yes, we are outside of the city. However, we have access to great public transport to take you directly into Dublin city centre. We have a Dublin Bus stop right outside the entrance to the grounds of the hotel & were also within walking distance to Adamstown Train Station which takes you into the city within minutes.

We feel you get the best of both worlds here at Finnstown - being close to Dublin City we are a great base for shopping & sightseeing yet at the same time we provide a private paradise, away from the capital for some good old fashioned R&R.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Best,
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Having frequented finnstown for meals and afternoon tea on many occasions it's a place I've always enjoyed to go. We recently booked in for a night B&B and whilst the stay was ok there could be some improvements.

The hotel staff are all friendly and great and obliged to any of our requests, but our main gripe was with the breakfast. We decided due to a late night that we would get it to the room, but at 8 euro extra per person we felt it was a bit steep in comparison to other hotels we have visited with not as great a selection on menu eg no fruits pastries limited cereals ect given the price . Our main gripe was that half of what we did select on the menu eg brown bread cranberry juice cereal didn't arrive and the rashers had been cremated. Having eaten so many times before in the hotel and from other reviews we just felt that our expectations were a lot higher than what we received and that there was room for improvement.

another thing to note is the hotel has a pool table and dart board in the bar. The pool table is 2 euro per game but no chalk to be found, and but upon asking the bar man had he any darts he shrugged his shoulders and said you just bring your own. For the sake of a couple of euro to buy a set of darts and leave them behind the bar would be a good investment considering we would have happily stead and played for the night.

Another pointer is that despite the hotels off the road location, we had a sense of unsecurity within the car park and grounds at night as it's quite dimly lit if at all in some areas, so perhaps it's something else that can be looked at

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Isteachsateach
Dear Dragibus2014,

Thank you for your mail & for taking the time to review your recent experience with us at Finnstown Country House Hotel.

For best offers and specials throughout the year it’s always best to visit the hotel website.
It’s disappointing to read that you were unhappy with the standard of accommodation & I do apologise if this impacted on your stay. I will make note of the different points and pass these onto maintenance for review.

We do pride ourselves on our food offering at the hotel and believe that everything is suitably priced.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the hotel’s location. We are based in Lucan, Co Dublin so yes, we are outside of the city. However, we do have access to some great public transport to take you directly into Dublin City Centre to avoid taking the car. With morning traffic a commute into the city can take some time.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Thank you again for your review.

Best,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Lovely features in the hotel. Fire in the bar gives it a cosy feeling. Good bar food but breakfast was outstanding. Used the gym, but forgot the costume to try the pool which looked very inviting. Stayed for business so the location out of the centre was not an issue.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear suzanneb933,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear your valued comments & will certainly pass on your kind words to the breakfast chef and his team.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again in the future.

Kind Regards,
Terry O' Brien
Cork, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I booked a Christmas break for myself and my husband the weekend of the 28th December. A few hiccups concerning dining experience arose - firstly on the Saturday morning we encountered quite a cold, unapologetic waitress as I kindly brought her attention to the out of date (by a week) yoghurts being served. This situation was subsequently rectified by management as I reported this to reception. Second evening dining experience in the Peacock Restaurant - we were shown to the back room, even though a table was available in the front area (at which another couple who arrived after us were seated, despite the fact the we had reserved). This was a dimly lit, cold, un atmospheric room with an almost abandoned feel - the other tables were not set and thrown together as though this room was unused - not a pleasant experience. On Sunday morning when we brought our bags to the car before checkout we were stunned to find that the car had been broken into - the back side window was smashed. We reported this to reception (a very kind and professional girl called Karen) who called the guards. At this stage we realised from another man that his car had also been broken into. We were told that the lady who had access to the CCTV wouldn't be in until the following morning upon whose return, we were promised, we would receive a call...Never happened. We lost a day of our holidays waiting around the lobby, patching up the back window for the long drive back to Cork in the wind and rain - we couldn't do what we had planned that day as the car couldn't be left unattended. We also had to stop en route numerous times to readjust the bags/tape etc on the window. The guard was the only person who contacted us on our return. Some investment would want to be made regarding security on these premises - perhaps a 24 hour security guard, especially as there seems to be no point here having cameras. All in all, a very disappointing weekend away and a place to which we won't be returning in the future.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank CaptainBlue76
FinnstownHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Deb B,

I am sorry that you did not get to enjoy the true Finnstown Dining offer at its best. We do strive to exceed our guests’ expectations and it’s disappointing that we failed to do so on this occasion. I do hope we can welcome you back to the Peacock Restaurant in the future where we can offer you a warm & personal welcome along with a wonderful dining experience.

I am shocked to learn of the incident with your car. This is most certainly not the norm here at the hotel. I am happy to advise that we have recently carried out some additional upgrades at the hotel to include increased outside lighting along with additional CCTC cameras which I trust should help eliminate such incidents from occurring in the future.

If you wish to pass over your details I would be most happy to contact you directly to discuss further.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to Finnstown as our guest to redeem your faith in our hotel and experience the finest from the Finnstown family.

Terry O’ Brien
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Celbridge
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Castleknock Hotel & Country Club
Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!