“Great Value Weekend”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Great Value Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was a last minute idea which will be repeated due to having such a fabulous weekend at the Finnstown country Hotel, Country being the opertative word! We stayed in was is described as the Garden suites a self contained appartment with patio doors leading to a Garden.The Hotel itself was oldie world, lovely and homely .Breakfast was like the Staff,Brilliant! Already on a mission looking to go again.Someone mentioned the evening Meal was expensive at £35 EURO in our opinion you get what you pay for faultless!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IXI633

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed for three nights while attending a friends wedding. Every member of staff we encountered from reception, to dining room, bar and serivce were to commended for the professionalism, effienciency and friendliness. Jason Manuel the duty manager on the day of the wedding, Dave (& our other barman whose name I forget apologies) deserve special mention as they went above and beyond in their duties. The food in the bar and at the reception was top quality and I ask you pass on our compliments to the chef. Rooms were spacious and comfortable, the older bathrooms could use some modernisation, but that is a minor detail. The peacocks that meandered the grounds provided entertainment for all as they splayed their feathers and squalked at guests. I believe there are refurbishments in progress and plans to extend leisure facilities to include a Spa, so I look forward to returning to sample these in the future. All in all an excellent experience!

Room Tip: Some rooms are located across the grounds from the main hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Treas78
preston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I visited from England, when we arrived at the hotel we were impressed with the outside of the hotel. It was beautiful, the staff was very friendly and the reception area looked clean.
We we're staying in room 108, in a separate building to main reception.
When we walked into the seperate building, it smelt of a nursing home.
Our bedroom was spacious however the room looked liked it needed renovation, stains on the carpet, broken shower, (really hard to switch off and leaked), ripped wallpaper and cobwebs and spider in the room.
Breakfast in the morning was adequate.
I don't normally leave bad reviews however sadly the price didn't match the room.
If you book here maybe ask for the main hotel, and book in advance, as we was a late booking.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank scott j
Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed here recently. As per other review. I would haev very mixed feelings about this property.

I had to arrive late, and upon check in I asked if there was room service or food available to be told "no, it finishes at 9pm". I arrive at 930pm after a long drive up the hotel. Naturally I was little hungry after a long drive so I had to leave the hotel and find a place to eat which I did but it was business that the hotel could have had if they really wanted it.

The room itself was fine overall. Usual average 4 star property, hairdryer, wifi ensuite, room . No facecloths so make sure to bring some if you use them as they are not provided. The tea/coffee + 2 biscuits facilities were present also. Dont be hungry coming here!!!

Rooms were quiet which was great as I was really looking for a relaxing stay where I wouldn't have to be worrying about looking for information and food.

Breakfast was barely 2 star standard. I would have expected service and not cheap buffet style breakfast. The so called hot food was cold and basically inedible. I couldnt believe it. One the plus there was some homemade bread which was lovely.

I went out the next day, visiting around Dublin. Upon my return I found a glass I had used was not cleaned, the table was not wiped down. The cup I used was cleaned but the milk and biscuits were not replaced. Basic standards need looking at here.

There was no information in the room about what was available in the hotel such as leisure facilities, about reserving or not for dinner etc.

To be honest, I wouldnt recommend staying here if you wanted a nice break. Whilst yes you will enjoy the lovely gardens, grounds, entrance into the hotel- once you go inside, prepare yourself to stay in what I can say is an average 2-3 star hotel at a higher price. Perhaps if they looked into standards at properties such as Knockranny House Hotel in Westport or The Westwood in Galway or Radisson St. Helen's, Dublin to get a better idea of good quality standards across the board.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank holiday066
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night while we where attending one direction. We had mixed feelings after leaving the hotel, we where in a recently renovated room which on first glance was lovely, tho the more we looked at it some vital things where missing like hotel information, a bin and a hair dryer. We ate in the bar for dinner and the food was great, my partner was impressed with the gluten free burger bun. The next morning we went down for breakfast and it wasn't great, the selection was woeful, tho a staff member said to us they where having issues that morning, tho I feel we shouldn't have suffered with a bad selection for breakfast just because the hotel was having problems, my partner asked for gluten free bread and she was given a bap the same as the one used the night before for the burger which isnt great for breakfast and she thought it was going to be toast. It reminded us at times like faulty towers, we still don't know if we should give it another go or not because the location was fantastic and it wasn't a bad hotel just some vital things let it down.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Petershields1984
Amelia Island, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Our last night in Ireland ended us up here. We loved this inn with one exception--the beds were not very comfortable. We ended up with twin beds that were pretty hard. If we had been there more than one night, we would have asked to be moved. But with that caveat, the grounds are lovely, the interior is lovely and the resident alpacas and emu make for a little adventure. It is a great location for a stress free trip to Dublin airport.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank offtheclock
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

ten of us went for lunch after a confirmation. busy place on the day. bar service was very prompt.
lunch menu was "service was polite and friendly of the mill"Corned beef/beef/chicken/pork belly/salmon. More bar food than Fine dining. the Restaurant would need a maitre d'Hotel to meet and greet clients.service was friendly and polite. It's a pity that the staff dont know what each person orders. Hands up for Beef!!
super grounds, and well maintained.
the reception artea could do with a revamp, for such a fine Country Hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank matt d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Celbridge
Crowne Plaza Dublin - Blanchardstown
Castleknock Hotel & Country Club
Clarion Hotel Liffey Valley

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!