“Good hotel”

Finnstown Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Short break with my wife. Everything excellent. Evening meal (earlybird) a delight, staff friendly and the hotel is in beautiful grounds. Two niggles. One the cooling fan for the kitchen was outside our window but the room had aircon. so we got by even in the hot weather. Two glasses out side the lift on a table did sit uncleared for the time of our visit.

Room Tip: Avoid window over looking kitchen , dining room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mark W

Reviewed 24 July 2014

The county at the edge of the city, a great place to stay at the edge of the city and it feel like the county, lovely gardens and grounds, you can get in and out of the city easily.
Great sleep, good bar food,

Room Tip: Garden rooms lovey
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just home from a 2 night stay with our 6 month old baby. Hotel was easy got to with an impressive drive up to the main building and beautiful grounds. Checked in at 3pm. Our room was across from the main building as we wanted somewhere quiet with a baby. Room 108!! Ground floor easy access with pram, large spacious room with cot bed. Room itself had a few marks on the carpet and some wallpaper torn but the room itself was clean. This was a family room so I can understand what kids can be like with crayons etc. The bathroom on the other hand was a different story. The grout of the tiles in the bathroom was filthy. For any hotel never mind 4* hotel this should not have been the case. We ate in the bar on the Friday night which was standard bar food. Both myself and my husband had very bad stomachs afterwards which we put down to the coleslaw being off!! Dinner on the 2nd night was in the AA Rosette Peacock restaurant which didn't open until 7pm. AA rosette it was certainly not, it was fine but not fine dining. The staff in the restaurant were extremely friendly, Moira and another blonde lady in particular went out of their way to sort high chair and boiling water for my sons bottle. We used the swimming pool on both days. I hear it is getting renovated....not quick enough, changing rooms had musty smell, lockers didn't lock and pool area in good need of a tidy up. Plus the windows in our room and the swimming pool were filthy. Strange as it seems given all my comments above I had a nice weekend at the hotel but when visiting dublin again I would go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms in Garden building for families quiet but room 108s bathroom needs a good cleaning.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Weemaz23
Tristan J, Director of Sales at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Weemaz23,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It is only from the feedback of our guests that we may strive to achieve exceptional standards with all of our guests.

I am very disappointed that your stay did not meet with your expectations on this occasion. Should you have the opportunity, I would be most grateful should you email me at sales@finnstowncastlehotel.com with the details of your booking so that I may investigate this fully and ensure it is improved upon.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Tristan Jacob
Director of Sales
Finnstown Castle Hotel

Reviewed 7 July 2014

For years I have been driving past the gates to this lovely place on my way to work without realising what lay beyond the gates. Lucan is a suburb of Dublin but when you drive up the lovely long driveway into Finnstown Country House Hotel, you leave the city behind and entre a little piece of heavenly countryside. We saw an ostrich, lamas and of course the wonderful peacocks which wander freely around the beautiful gardens. The house itself is an old country manor which is beautifully decorated to represent times gone by. It is luxurious, comfortable and very relaxing. Although we weren't lucky enough to stay in the main house, we were given one of the newly refurbished garden suites, and it was really comfortable and so peaceful and quiet. We had a meal in the bar and then went for a walk before returning for a nightcap. If you are a couple wishing for a relaxing night away from it all, I highly recommend Finnstown.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed in two different rooms at this beautiful property last month; both rooms were nice enough but the first one had nothing more than a dribble of boiling hot water coming out of it. If I were there again I would immediately ask for a new room.

Other than that though the staff were very friendly, the breakfast was great and tasted like a great Irish B&B breakfast (in a good way), and the buildings and property were lovely. We even saw a fox driving in one night.

Room Tip: Check the shower pressure before you unpack.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here for one night as we have done on several occasions, this time the place was buzzing as there was a wedding going on and as the weather was beautiful the gardens were full of people taking advantage of the sun. The gardens are very well kept and it is a lovely place to relax and people watch.
We had a room in the annex which is just a short stroll from the main hotel, fine when the weather is good but not so good when it is not. The staff here are very pleasant, the food is lovely and the dinner menu for four courses is not overpriced at 35euro per head.
For tourists to the country the hotel is in a good position with a shopping centre close at hand and a bus stop outside the gate as well as not being too far from the motorway for those who may have a hired car.
They do have wheelchair accessible rooms and bathrooms which are well equipped with bars and rails etc.
I see that the leisure centre and pool are also being updated and are due to be finished later on this year.
I would recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: The annex is quiet because it is away from the main hotel,
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maureen r
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The main hotel is beautiful and the grounds are stunning. My first night was a Saturday and here were several events. I went o bed late but it was crazy noisy with doors slamming etc. Sunday was much quieter and very nice. The service is not great. I generally had to spend time flagging a server down for a drink even when it wasn't busy. Overall clean and beautiful with a few kinks.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Amy Stone A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Lucan Spa Hotel
#3 of 7 in Clondalkin
Springfield Hotel
Springfield Hotel
#1 of 4 in Leixlip

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!