“Comfortable and Quite”

Finnstown Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Beautiful Castle type hotel just minutes from Dublin. Very nice gardens and a ample parking. The only complaint would be that the breakfast is a little chaotic.
The gardens have peacocks and mature trees.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden suite.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Tristan J, Director of Sales at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2014

Dear Irishmike1916,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review from your recent stay with us. I am so delighted that your enjoyed your visit to Finnstown Castle Hotel.

Please rest assured that your feedback regarding breakfast has been addressed by the revelant departments to ensure this is improved upon.

We greatly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future!

Director of Sales

Write a ReviewReviews (1,026)

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We recently had a family lunch here for my mother's 70th birthday. I had booked a table for 12.30pm weeks before and rang a few days before to confirm the booking.

When we arrived we were told the room wasn't ready and wait in the drawing room until 1pm. I informed the receptionist that we had booked for 12.30 and asked why wasn't the room ready. She asked did i not get a call earlier that day to ask it would be changed to 1pm as they were setting up the room. I replied that i had not received a call so she told me that she would get a manager if we waited in the drawing room. She was not very apologetic at all and we just appeared to be annoying her at this stage as if we should have known that it was too early.

We went into the drawing room. My father is very eldery and disabled and can get very tired easily and i have two very small nephews whose mother had planned the time of the meal around nap time for both of them. No drinks were offered as an apology for the incovenience. No manager showed up. At 12.50 i asked was the room ready to another receptionist and she went and checked and said yes. I was going to complain further but I didn't want to upset my mother who is very easy going and it was also her birthday.

The food was of average quality and there wasn't enough staff to cope with the amount of customers in the restaurant. It took a long time between courses and to get our plates cleared. Having said this, the waiting staff were extremely nice.

We won't be back which is disappointing as the grounds and hotel decor is lovely. I have two sisters who were planning to look here as a potential wedding and christening venue but given the front line staff's attitude and manner this will not be happening.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MC121984

Dear MC121984,

May I begin by thanking your for your time in reviewing your recent dining experience at the hotel.

I am very sorry to hear that on this occasion your experience did not meet with your expectations. So that I may address this for you and ensure this is improved upon, I would be most grateful should you have an opportunity to contact me directly at tjacob@finnstowncastlehotel.com.

It is my great hope that we can improve upon your visit and offer you an opportunity to see Finnstown Castle Hotel at it's best.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The surroundings are beautiful, it feels as though one is in the middle of the country and the main hotel is gorgeous, beautifully maintained and old fashioned. I loved the dining/breakfast room, flowers and paintings were everywhere, it provided a delightful atmosphere. Very romantic and will return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear marina d,

Thank you so much for your superb review of your recent experience whilst visiting the hotel.

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back to Finnstown Castle Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just back from our one night stay in Finnstown House and all I can say it was a very poor from start to finish. Arrived at 1.30pm, room not ready but that was no problem as we had lunch in the bar but extremely rude receptionist was not in the mood for entertaining an early check in and told us in no uncertain terms that check in was 3pm! Lunch to be fair was quite good with service quite good also. Went back at 3pm to check in to be told room still wasn't ready. Went back at 3.30pm and finally room was ready. Got to room and there was no doubt it had been cleaned as the smell of bleach would choke you. In the fridge (which needed cleaning) were 2 half used pints of milk which were nearly out of date. There was ivy growing through the windows, the tap in the wash hand basin dripped continuously and then the hot water was tepid to say the least. Ate in the bar that evening and despite lots of staff on it took 45mins to get the food to our table. Our 3 year old daughters burger was well done ie burnt. Her ice came in a bowl with no spoon. It had half melted by time spoon came. At breakfast this morning kitchen couldn't cope with number of people as by the time we got to the hot Buffett there was very little left ie no bacon, eggs, beans. This may sound as if I am exaggerating but believe me I am not and this is the first review I have ever left simply because it was so bad. Normally i turn a blind eye and forget about it but I would prefer people knew what to expect. Maybe we were just unlucky!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Johnny2trousers

Dear Johnny2trousers,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay at Finnstown Castle Hotel.

I am very disappointed to hear that your stay did not meet with your expectations on this occasion. The enjoyment of our guests in all areas of the hotel is of paramount importance to us here at Finnstown Castle Hotel.

Should you have an opportunity, I would be most grateful should you contact me directly at tjacob@finnstowncastlehotel.com so that I may address this matter personally for you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

I have just returned from a 1 night stay in FInnstown....we had a room in the main hotel. On arrival at 5.30 we enquired where the leisure centre was, we were given directions and informed it closes at 6 pm!!! Who closes a leisure facility at 6pm.
We made our way to our room, we were disappointed to find no hotel info booklet. How is anyone supposed to find out anything about the area, or hotel facilities.
We made our way to the bar area and eventually found a seat, ordered a drink and perused the bar menu. After asking 3 different staff could we order some food we were able to place our order. The food when it arrived fell into 2 categories, the starters were great, the mains however were disappointing, tasteless and synthetic.
And finally the bed!!, this was a small spongy effort, making sleep almost impossible, the room was hot and stuffy as well.
Breakfast was another story, everything was over cooked and rubbery. All told this was very dissapointing from a 4 star hotel, poor show!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank joan1717
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Very nice grounds, but Rooms (or at least 119) needs fresh lick of paint and good clean, not too happy to have cobweds/sipder from above my 7 yr olds bed. Breakfast fab, staff so helpful & friendly despite been under lot of pressure (maybe another couple of staff members would help). I rang hotel 24hrs before we left UK to request early Check in, as we were travelling throughout the night, i was told this would be possible but I would need to ring on morning of arrival, when I rang very rude receptionists told me No, as all rooms in hotel booked out night before and was very unhelpful. This left us with no choice but to travel about Dublin City. I rang Hotel back at 11.45am in hope of speaking to someone nicer then previous receptionist, which I did I was informed if we made our way to Finnstown Hotel by lunchtime room should/would be ready. We arrived at 1.50pm to be told it was not the Policy of hotel to allow Check in before 3pm, I was not impressed we were offered Tea/coffee for inconvenience, which we were charged for when checking out. Pool was absolutely filthy, gym/changing rooms not much better. . Maintence/ground work started on Thur morning @7.40am, when I rang reception to complain her response was its only just started, despite me clearly stating this was not acceptable, said would make manager aware. No manager contacted us to explain/apologise why this work started so early. I would not recommend this hotel and certainly would not return, really shame it dont live up to its website.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mountr
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We were here for one night after a customer visit and had rooms in the main building, spacious rooms, bed was wonderful to sleep at and the cidre and dinner in the bar were really great, breakfast buffett with a lot of offerings and an very friendly service - we are happy to come back again!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Lucan Spa Hotel
Clayton Hotel Liffey Valley
Louis Fitzgerald Hotel
Louis Fitzgerald Hotel
#2 of 7 in Clondalkin

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!