“It's not a castle”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“It's not a castle”
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

We booked our 6 night stay there and were put in the garden suite rooms. Which isn't a suite. It's out side the hotel and the connecting door to the hotel was locked as the key lick was broken.

The room was nice and big and only down side was we had only dr caffeinated coffee in our room and had to wait 40 minutes to be brought regular coffee. We soon discovered we had no soap to wash our hands.... Another 45 minute wait.

We went out and when we came back could not park our car in a disabled spot as regular cars just parked there. Jason the duty Manager was great and got us parked close to the door.

It seems acceptable for regular cars to just park in disabled spots with out a care.

The food and staff were great. Breakfast is a bit of a bind. Bit cramped with buggies taking up room when people are trying to squeeze by to get their breakfast.

Over all it was nice. Bed was comfortable. Away from noise except from inconsiderate wedding guests going to bed

screaming down the corridors

Not sure I'd stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Fidelma66
Tristan J, Director of Sales at Finnstown Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear fidelma66,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Finnstown.

The feedback of our guests is of paramount importance to us in constantly striving to maintain the high standards we set ourselves. I am very sorry for the delay you encountered and please rest assured that every action has been taken to ensure this does not reoccur. We will also be taking steps to ensure all accessible parking remains clear for badge holders only.

Should you wish to return to the hotel, It would be my great pleasure to arrange your reservation personally to ensure everything is as it should be.

Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Oxford, UK
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

We went to this hotel because a friend of ours got married there.

We stayed in the main house and our room was nice (although nothing exceptional). The bed was very comfortable.

The hotel has a lot to offer in terms of different areas to sit in. The food we had at the wedding was superb and the service exceptional. Our table waitress Neive, was great (sorry if I have misspelt it!) and the master of ceremonies too.

Apparently they have big plans to extend the spa area (which is currently ok but a bit tired) and refurbish some rooms.

This place has great potential to become a 5 star hotel in the future if they do it right.

I would recommend this hotel and I would be happy to go back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AnaOxford_UK
Dear AnaOxford_UK,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us.

We have some fantastic improvements taking place at the hotel and I very much hope you will have an opportunity to visit our brand new health & leisure club opening in January 2015.

Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Not sure who wrote the last review but I really feel our experience would prove it is anything from the truth! About 8 years ago, we were regular customers of Finnstown and absolutely loved going on family days out here! It was our favourite. However, returning after many years last weekend; we were bitterly disappointed. We found the whole experience upsetting and disappointing, to say the least! Or perhaps, the management treat different people in different ways? I emailed to complain and it's clear that I may not have been the only complainer as I got no response!! We were so astonished as it was clear the staff were not coping with the big numbers and made numerous mistakes.
1. Burgers which were meant to have cheese and bacon arrived with neither (we said nothing)
2. We waited 40 minutes then after ordering tea only to be greeted rudely by a waitress to say: had we finished yet or were we still waiting?
3. We ordered dessert after much time waiting and got banoffee pie which consisted of a dry pastry case with no banana and whipped can cream - perhaps call it something else on the menu, this is not banoffee!!
It didn't matter, we have been so so many places and not been impressed with the food, we don't like to complain! Our main reason for writing is the rudeness of the waitresses serving last Sunday (rolling eyes and not providing cutlery when falling, giving out about manager and arguing). We just found it disappointing that the place has gone to downhill this last few years and as we thought we were customers who were considered important, that Sunday we felt anything but!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank leethebaker
Dear leethebaker,

Firstly may I begin by offering our sincere apologies that your stay did not meet with your expectations on this occasion as well as thanking you most sincerely for bringing this to our attention.

Please be assured that the focus areas raised in your review will be immediately addressed to ensure this is improved upon. Should you have an opportunity, I would be most grateful if you could contact me directly so that I may investigate this matter further for you. If you would be so kind as to email me at tjacob@finnstowncastlehotel.com at your convenience.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Munster
Reviewed 29 August 2014

If its a hotel you want and good service you need?
Head for Finnstown where they will fulfil the deed.
The staff are so nice and their attention is a wow
Each one of them can stand forth and ...... take yourself a bow!

Our Room was not ready and they were so sorry for a short delay.....
They sent us to bar for free drinks and free afternoon tae!
Smiles and happy people made the place a delight
The urge to stay up really late had to be resisted with a fight.

Its hotels like finnstown that leave great memories and warmth
For ambiance, service and hospitality in this place are formed
Stay in this hotel and know what its really like
To be part of a positive experience in a wonderful site.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Kittyirish,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback from your recent stay with us. I am so delighted that your enjoyed your visit to Finnstown Castle Hotel.

We greatly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future!

Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Beautiful Castle type hotel just minutes from Dublin. Very nice gardens and a ample parking. The only complaint would be that the breakfast is a little chaotic.
The gardens have peacocks and mature trees.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden suite.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Irishmike1916,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review from your recent stay with us. I am so delighted that your enjoyed your visit to Finnstown Castle Hotel.

Please rest assured that your feedback regarding breakfast has been addressed by the revelant departments to ensure this is improved upon.

We greatly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future!

Dublin
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We recently had a family lunch here for my mother's 70th birthday. I had booked a table for 12.30pm weeks before and rang a few days before to confirm the booking.

When we arrived we were told the room wasn't ready and wait in the drawing room until 1pm. I informed the receptionist that we had booked for 12.30 and asked why wasn't the room ready. She asked did i not get a call earlier that day to ask it would be changed to 1pm as they were setting up the room. I replied that i had not received a call so she told me that she would get a manager if we waited in the drawing room. She was not very apologetic at all and we just appeared to be annoying her at this stage as if we should have known that it was too early.

We went into the drawing room. My father is very eldery and disabled and can get very tired easily and i have two very small nephews whose mother had planned the time of the meal around nap time for both of them. No drinks were offered as an apology for the incovenience. No manager showed up. At 12.50 i asked was the room ready to another receptionist and she went and checked and said yes. I was going to complain further but I didn't want to upset my mother who is very easy going and it was also her birthday.

The food was of average quality and there wasn't enough staff to cope with the amount of customers in the restaurant. It took a long time between courses and to get our plates cleared. Having said this, the waiting staff were extremely nice.

We won't be back which is disappointing as the grounds and hotel decor is lovely. I have two sisters who were planning to look here as a potential wedding and christening venue but given the front line staff's attitude and manner this will not be happening.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MC121984
Dear MC121984,

May I begin by thanking your for your time in reviewing your recent dining experience at the hotel.

I am very sorry to hear that on this occasion your experience did not meet with your expectations. So that I may address this for you and ensure this is improved upon, I would be most grateful should you have an opportunity to contact me directly at tjacob@finnstowncastlehotel.com.

It is my great hope that we can improve upon your visit and offer you an opportunity to see Finnstown Castle Hotel at it's best.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

The surroundings are beautiful, it feels as though one is in the middle of the country and the main hotel is gorgeous, beautifully maintained and old fashioned. I loved the dining/breakfast room, flowers and paintings were everywhere, it provided a delightful atmosphere. Very romantic and will return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear marina d,

Thank you so much for your superb review of your recent experience whilst visiting the hotel.

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you back to Finnstown Castle Hotel in the future.

Director of Sales
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Clontarf Castle Hotel
The Court Yard Hotel
The Court Yard Hotel
#1 of 4 in Leixlip
Castleknock Hotel & Country Club

Been to Finnstown Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!