“What a joke!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lucan
Sligo, Ireland
“What a joke!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My partner and his colleague were working away from home and finished late. They needed a few hours sleep before driving home so i rang the Lucan Spa to book a room for them at around 11pm, I spoke to the receptionist who took the usual details along with my debit card number which i taught was just to secure the booking, and my partner could pay cash on Arrival. When my Partner arrived to the hotel at around 12.30am to check in, He was told that they could not accept cash upfront as a payment method for the room and he would have to pay via a card which he did not have on him (Although the hotel did have card details on file), this was not enough for them. My partner and his work Colleague were refused entry to their room and had to drive another 20mins to a property that did accept cash as payment. Very unaccommodating!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank damienwhaley
thelucanspahotel, Manager at Lucan Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear damienwhaley,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Tripadvisor. Reviews are very important to us and allow us to improve our product and service for future guests.

I am disappointed to read you did not enjoy your experience at the hotel and I would like to discuss this in greater detail. If you wish to email me at colganu@lucanspahotel.ie, I would be eager to speak to you.

Thank you once again for choosing The Lucan Spa Hotel. I look forward to hearing from you.

The Lucan Spa Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Sligo ireland
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I am not used of luxury and feel bad leaving complaints about establishments but this was bad. Booked a single room for one night and received the usual confirmation email stating that the fee included breakfast and parking and that the fee was to be paid at the hotel. Arrived at the hotel after a long day and was 'greeted' by a woman who was obviously having a bad day. Before I was given my key, I was asked how I wanted to pay. I told her I'd pay by cash in the morning but was informed that 'hotel policy' required me to pay the room fee upfront! I told her I did not have cash on me and was so kindly informed that I could drive to a nearby ATM machine. In the end I just paid for the room by card...within 20mins upon arrival. Unless I pay the room fee online, I have never being ordered to paid for a room upon arrival. So, up to the room. Basic but clean. No hot water in shower. I have seen more of a flow of water from a leaking tap that what came out of that shower. Hand dispenser in bathroom not working. Tiny portable tv in room almost touching ceiling where you would nearly need to sit on it to be able to see it properly. As I arrived late evening, I decided to try the bar menu. Got the chicken curry...eventually. Was offered two different meals first as the waiter had arrived with the wrong food to the wrong people. I witnessed this on 3 occasion in one hour...although there was only approximately 8 people in the bar. Food average. Room very noisy as they lead out onto the main N4 motorway. There's big ugly sliding shields on the window which are supposed to reduce the noise. It doesn't. It didn't bother me as I'm a heavy sleeper!! In the morning, went downstairs for my breakfast. I was asked my room number which I gave to the foreign waitress. As I was about to sit down with a tray of orange juice, fruit and muesli I was abruptly informed by the waitress that there was a charge for my breakfast as I was only on room only basis. Approximately 8 people witnessed this and it honestly looked as if I was stealing food without paying!! I told her that my room charge included breakfast but she continued to disagree! To prevent a scene I told her I would leave without breakfast. I went back to the reception to check out and was misfortunate enough to deal with the same woman I dealt with on my arrival. As I walked to the reception I had checked my email and saw that was room charge INCLUDED breakfast. As I checked out I asked the woman to check if breakfast was included and she told me that it wasn't. I informed her that my confirmation email stated otherwise. After pressing more keys on her keyboard she eventually told me that breakfast WAS included. It was a very embarrassing situation to say the least. Keep your confirmation emails should you book this hotel. I have seen one or two reviews from weddings that have taken place here. They obviously either got them at a very good rate or for free because this place is a joke. I was so so glad to get out of there and I will never ever venture back to that building again. Thankfully my stay was work related and not leisure related. The hotel is family run and is a money grabbing establishment and appear to be extremely paranoid that patrons will leave without paying for their services...therefore they ask for payment in advance....even for breakfast even it is included in your room rate!!! Stay away!!!!

Room Tip: Id this is the only hotel available, think about staying in your car overnight
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Patrick5610
Dear Patrick5610

The Lucan Spa Hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Lucan hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Not bad at all,though could be better.....first off drinks are too expensive but don't be put off..double rooms are ok but a little small as are the beds..breakfast very nice and staff are helpful..location not bad 15 min walk to other bars and restaurants in village..nice place for wedding reception..No pool or jacuzzi...

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear G M,

Thank you for your kind comments on our location, staff and breakfast. I am sorry over the confusion over the name of the hotel. The hotel is named after the natural spa waters that once existed on the grounds in the 19th and 20th century.

Thank you once again for choosing The Lucan Spa Hotel and we would be delighted to welcome you back in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 May 2014

When I made the booking at this hotel I was given a better offer with the condition to cancel the booking that I made with a booking site. I was offered a price and when I paid, I was charged a different price, but only noticed at home.

We had 3 rooms booked and in one room the heating was not working. We asked for help, and was told that they will take care of it, but nothing happened. Also in one other room there was a dripping sound in one of the walls, and we told that to the reception but again we were left just with promises.

The night porter was an extremely rude person towards both the guest staying in the hotel, but also with the persons who brought the persons over after a concert.

The conclusion is that we were left with a general bad impression of this hotel and we won't be returning there.

Room Tip: If you want silence, then ask for a room opposite to the street (motorway).
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Puidemorosan,

Penzance, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have just spent 2 weeks on business in Dublin and found this hotel ticked all the right boxes for price and convenience. Prices were very reasonable and my room was comfortable and clean.
I ate at the hotel every night and whilst the bar menu was typical fayre, it was also very enjoyable and good size portions.
If I need to go to Dublin again, the Lucan Spa will be the first hotel I would call.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Kevin T,

I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay. I will pass on your kind comments to our team here.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Had seen lunch special advertised in a local paper and decided to give it a try, on arrival table wasn't ready as they were quite busy so went to bar for a drink,like a throwback to the 70s smelly lounge that was very outdated,got our food which was awful ,dry roast beef ,dry chicken breast dry mash served out of a massive tray over your shoulder and tons of chips piled on top ...plenty of food but substandard quality,waiting staff were very nice but won't be back again...:( :( :(

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Paul K,

I am disappointed to read you did not enjoy your experience at the hotel. In the restaurant, we silver serve the vegetables and potatoes, and I am sorry you were uncomfortable with this method of service.

I would be delighted to discuss your stay in more detail. Please email me at colganu@lucanspahotel.ie

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband booked this hotel for us as we were attending a wedding nearby. He booked it on the internet so it was only on arrival that we realised the hotel was located right by the motorway. We stayed in a family room on the road side of the hotel. Even with all the windows shut and the secondary glazing, we could still hear the traffic so we didn't have great sleep. Also the room got very warm and stuffy so we all woke up hot and bothered. The next day we asked if we could move to a room facing away from the road. The receptionist gave us keys for two adjoining rooms (no other family rooms were available) to look at. We were surprised to find that these rooms were also facing the road so no better! We were also expecting a swimming pool/spa and very disappointed to hear that despite being called the Lucan Spa Hotel, there were actually no spa facilities or pool. This is clearly misleading. On a more positive note, our room was clean and the majority of the staff were friendly. However, when we returned to the hotel one evening after a day out, a male receptionist questioned whether we were residents in a rather rude manner. We didn't eat at the hotel except for breakfast which was rather poor in quality and choice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank HHarris0n
thelucanspahotel, Manager at Lucan Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear HHarris0n,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on TripAdvisor. I am disappointed to read you did not enjoy your stay.

I would like to discuss your stay in further detail and would appreciate it if you could email me at colganu@lucanspahotel.ie.

Ulick Colgan
Marketing Manager,
The Lucan Spa Hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lucan
Springfield Hotel
#2 of 4 in Leixlip
The Court Yard Hotel
#1 of 4 in Leixlip
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#67 of 151 in Dublin

Been to Lucan Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!