“Family Sunday roast - excellent value, great experience”
Review of Carrolls Gastropub

Carrolls Gastropub
Ranked #2 of 32 Restaurants in Lucan
Price range: US$5 - US$28
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Serving Lunch from 12pm with fresh salads, skinny soups and daily hot specials of quiches and pies. The evening menu has all the classic pub favorites including steak on the stone, slow roasted belly of pork with home made desserts such as key lime pie to finish. Our contemporary Sunday Brunch is the perfect Sunday afternoon treat with sweet and savory offerings from cinnamon French toast to eggs Benedict and not forgetting two roast joints with all the trimmings. There is something for everyone in the family with the Kids menu offering of €5 for a main course served with a selection of fresh vegetables and a scoop of ice cream to finish.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We ate at Carrolls yesterday (bank holiday Monday) and enjoyed their roast beef offering. I have to say it is brilliantly set up for families. The kids menu is great value - main and icecream for €5 (although no sign of those veg on offer!!) - and they also offered the roast at half price for half portion. The kids were comfortable and the noise levels were such that we could relax. The adults enjoyed their roasts too - the roast vegetables were a lovely change from the often boiled to death pub veg fare. I also strongly recommend the key lime pie! Service was excellent as well. We had two staff who kept checking in on us. We'll be back...

1  Thank sineadj

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I had been given various reviews by friends but reserved judgement until I had visited here and tasted the food myself. We were greeted by a warm friendly smiling waitress as we entered, shown to our table given menus and announced the specials of the Day. Top marks,drinks were served immediately and food arrived without delay despite a full room. The atmosphere in the room was good and there were lots of smiling faces. We were seated near a table where the diners had some complaint and we could clearly see the wait staff and supervisors were going out of their way to make it right, top marks again. Now for the warning, during our meal we had five separate kitchen Staff pass through the room to exit to the smoking area this presents a poor image..not good, there were at least three plates broken during one hour so there is a problem somewhere with systems or training , health and safety. We glanced at the pass on one occasion to see the filthiest cloth used to clean a gravy spill from a plate before being served, not good. The supervisors seemed to pass through the room at the speed of light every few minutes and yet seemed to be doing nothing I got the feeling they did not know what was expected of them except to look busy..not good. I will go back again and try more of the menu in the hope of the gastro food experience.

1  Thank Jerome R
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have eaten here 3 times over the last couple of months. I would highly recommend the steak on a stone , especially for €16 during the week. I've had this twice and the piece of meat I got was gorgeous. It comes with 3 sauces, chip and a small salad and is excellent value as well as very tasty.
The other time I had the curry which was also gorgeous. All the staff I encountered were very good , efficient and helpful without falling over you which I like. The only thing I would comment on is that I didn't want chips with my steak and there wasn't much of choice other than that so I ended up having veg and the that wasn't great . It would be lovely to have the choice of a baked potato or something other than chips
I haven't been here at weekend so I don't know how busy it gets but even on week nights it can be busy enough and had a buzz about it.
The decor is nothing to shout about but the food more than makes up for that.

1  Thank LunanGirl
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Great food and very friendly helpful staff.

We arrived unaware that we should really have reserved a table as there was 5 of us but the waitress Aoife was so helpful got us seated at the bar and said she and another waitress would try to get us a table before the 8.30 cut off for ordering and fair play they us us a table, got us seated and order taken before 8.30.

The food was hot and delicious I had the chicken and would most certainly order it again and my friends all cleared their plates and all agreed that the food was great.

It was very busy but it was a sat night so you'd expect it to be busy but the staff were so friendly and professional it made it a very enjoyable experience.

My only negative was it was very warm and at times it was a little uncomfortable but it wouldn't stop me going again

1  Thank Lily_White_Traveller
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I'd heard this place was nice so with no plans on a Tuesday evening I decided to drop in and have a look. They were serving an 8oz fillet steak on a hot stone for €16 so I decided to give that a try. I ordered a starter of warm black pudding on Apple slices. That was gorgeous. The sauces they used were amazing and I had never realised how nice black pudding and apple could be.
Then came the steak. It's served raw on a stone at 200•c and you cut bite sized pieces off, turning them on the stone until it's cooked as you like it. The smells are incredible. It's served with pepper sauce, red onion relish and garlic butter. I got it with a side salad but of course you have the option of chips or wedges.
I'll be back again this week.

1  Thank Instrumann