“You get what you pay for!”
Review of Citywest Hotel

Citywest Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Saggart
Reviewed 5 February 2008

My wife and I attended a recent awards ceremony at this hotel which was attended by about 1,000 people. It's located beside a large business park, and there is really nothing located nearby. There's plenty of parking, although some of the parking is a fair distance from the hotel.

When we arrived at 3:30pm, check-in was prompt. We had a room in the Palmerstown wing, and it's a goodly distance to walk as it is really in a different block from the main reception. On our way to the room, we met a collegue and he informed us that he had been unable to shower thus far, as there was no cold water. We thought it strange that we hadn't been told at reception, and also imagined the rush for showers once the water was made available again. Luckily by 4:45, the water was back, but as expected, the hot water lasted less than 10 minutes as everybody tried to take a shower at the same time. From previous reviews, it seems that plumbing in this hotel isn't the best feature. My own personal gripe is that the shower was made for people of less that 5 feet 6 inches (1.7 metres) in height and since I'm 6'2" (1.88 metres), I ended up having to painfully crouch for my hot->luke warm->cool shower.

This was the low point though - everything else was pretty much as you'd expect. The hosting of the ceremony was very professional, the staff were attentive and polite, and the food at the event was truly excellent and far better than what we expected for such a large event. Some of the table staff tended to be very over-zealous with topping up wine glasses, but this seems a minor point given the organization that went into the event.

We didn't try any of the leisure facilities.

Overall, it met our expectations on what to expect. Don't go expecting pampering or luxury or good transport links into Dublin. Do go if you expect a functioning hotel with a good standard of rooms, food, etc.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FromIreland
There are newer reviews for Citywest Hotel

Reviewed 13 January 2008

I stayed here recently with a work conference, there were about 700 of us staying and the hotel could not cope despite calling itself a conference centre.
The hotel is quite far from the centre so don't use it if you want to spend a lot of time in the centre as it takes an hour each way to get into the centre (due to horrendous traffic on the route).

The conference side of things was actually quite good with very good food and service.
However the rooms left an awful lot to be desired. We stayed four nights and did not have hot water during the entire stay! The hotels excuse was that everyone was taking showers at the same time (isn't this what happens at conferences?!?)
when i complained they were totally disinterested and suggested i go and shower in the gym!
The room was permanently dark and had no lighting except lamps which were inadequate for putting on your makeup in the morning and evening. In addition to the lack of hot water, the bathroom was absolutely freezing with no heater/radiator.
the bed sloped to one side and i felt like i was rolling out at times.

I couldn't wait to get out of this hotel and hope never to return.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
6  Thank Nicks_gal
Reviewed 10 January 2008

We traveled to Dublin last September for the Football Final in croke Park and stayed at the City West Hotel. We have stayed there many times before and have found in recent times that the basic maintenence and service is on a downward slope. Our experience was poor first of all in the restaurant with our table being given away even though we had arrived at the booking time. Once we eventually got a table we waited 1.5 hours for our main course. The following morning we queued for three quarters of an hour to get into the breakfast room and a further half hour to get our breakfast.
The leisure centre there is also in poor shape with dirty showers and steam room.
On the golf course our golf cart packed up half way through our round of golf.
On the up side the bedrooms are very good.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
4  Thank Buckleys
Reviewed 7 January 2008

I was very impressed with this hotel! The staff were extremely friendly checking in and checking out. The room was huge and fabulously decorated. Everything was spotlessly clean, beautiful clean, crisp white sheeting and duvet. The bathroom was very spacious with both a shower and jacuzzi bath. I was shocked at the choice of restaurants that the hotel offered. I think there were actually 5 restaurants to choose from ranging from steakhouse type menu's to Thai! The lobby of the hotel has a beautiful staircase and there was a welcoming fire glazing in the large fireplace in the lobby when we arrived. The price for one night stay including breakfast was €101 which I found very valuable considering the quality of the hotel. Overall a very pleasant stay, I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharklegs
Reviewed 4 January 2008

I've stayed in CityWest a number of times for both work and relaxation. This is a huge hotel complex and can be quite impersonal due to the very nature of it. They claim to have 1000 beds and I've found people the worst for wear after a few drinks in the bar unable to find the way back to their room. If you have any difficulty being located far from the lift, make sure you mention this at check-in or you could end up in the depths of this cavernous hotel.

I've been happy overall with the hotel. The rooms differ greatly in standard and size, and I haven't been able to distinguish why. I got a free upgrade the last time I stayed there and the room was very tasteful and included a flatscreen TV and jacuzzi bath. The upgrade also meant a duvet on the bed instead of the dreaded blankets in the other rooms of the hotel. I'm not convinced that the upgrade is worth the usual €35 additional cost to your standard room though. I guess it depends on whether you hate blankets in hotels or not!

Some rooms have free internet access and some don't. Again, I haven't been able to figure out why some do and why others don't. The upgrade didn't seem to, for example.

I like the lobby of this hotel but my friends hate it and find it pretentious. I don't like the staff really as they are not the friendliest. I think it has to do with the hotel being so large. Breakfast is plentiful but can get very crowded if you turn up at the same time as a group of conference attendees.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel for someone wanting to stay west of Dublin on the N4. It is quite isolated if you haven't got a car since public transport there is not too frequent and is a bit of a journey from Dublin.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelGirlCork
Reviewed 26 November 2007

I stayed at this hotel at the weekend and was not expecting too much for two reasons, firstly I had read the reviews on this site and secondly, and quite honestly, the room was quite cheap. When I arrived at my room I ws horrified. It was freezing cold, tiny and smelt really awful. The bath in the bathroom ws filthy and the water that came out of the taps was brown and smelly. The television didn't work- I asked maintenance to come up and look at it and they did, but a lot of the channels still didn't work. The next morning, I asked to get an upgraded room for €35.00 extra. I was told by Lisa the recptionist that it was in the Palmerstown Wing. It was not and I was left wandering around that wing looking for my new room. I got no apology from Lisa. When I eventually got help from other staff, the new room was much better and definitely cleaner. I ordered roomservice though on my second evening and for two courses, a main and a starter and no drink it cost me €50.00! It's probably not the worst hotel, but don't rely on roomservice or on staying in the cheaper rooms as a value break, because frankly its just not worth it. These rooms shouldn't exist in this category of hotel anyway.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled solo
4  Thank Missuscalleja
Reviewed 19 November 2007

As this place was convenient to where i wanted to be the next morning as serves dinner until 11 i choose here despite the reviews. The service was good and the breakfast was above average. The room was spacious aswell. This is a good business hotel

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank baddiel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saggart
KingsWood Hotel Citywest
#1 of 1 in Kingswood
Louis Fitzgerald Hotel
#2 of 7 in Clondalkin
Kilmainham
Sheldon Park Hotel
Sheldon Park Hotel
#69 of 150 in Dublin

Been to Citywest Hotel? Share your experiences!