“Great B&B with well furnished rooms”

The Forge Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Saggart
The Forge Guesthouse
Ranked #1 of 1 Saggart B&B and Inns
swadlincote
“Great B&B with well furnished rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

We stayed for 2 nights at The Forge and had a a very peaceful nights sleep and a very clean and well decorated room with everything you need for a short stay. They have a great restaurant attached which serves a loverly irish breakfast and evening meals. We had no problems ith access so was unfortubnate for the other reviewer.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wokingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2010

I booked a room for three nights for a business trip, based on the reviews I have read here and on other sites. I arrived on a Sunday at 4pm, as I told them I would. When I arrived, the doors were locked and there wasn't anyone in the "lobby". I called the numbers listed on the door for reservations, but no one answered.

I am a pretty patient person, so I waited for 90 minutes. I was actually driving away from the hotel when I received a phone call from the proprietor asking me why I had called. I told her I was here to check in, and had been waiting for 90 minutes outside the locked hotel. She said she would send someone over and about 5 minutes later I see a girl running down the street heading towards me. Nice.

As for the room, it wasn't what you would call nice. The bathroom fixtures were falling apart, the paint was peeling off the ceiling in the shower, there was apparently only one iron in the whole place, and there wasn't any heat on in the room when I arrived, and it took hours for the room to warm up.

On the plus side, it was a very quiet room and I had no trouble sleeping.

Bottom line: you would be better off staying at the City West Hotel, that has very nice room, good bars and restaurants and professional staff. However if you are travelling for pleasure and don't really care about service or comfort, this hotel would probably be ok.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
6 Thank JetPilots1
MD USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2009

I hesitated booking here instead of at the resort where my conference was booked, given the paucity of reviews of this guest house. But the concerns voiced about Citywest made me decide to take a chance on the Forge and I'm glad I did. The rooms were a good size, clean and quiet at night for sleeping. There was coffee/tea in room and fresh fruit in lobby area every morning. My room also had a tin of cookies, so even though breakfast (which was extra) didn't start until too late for me each morning, I never went hungry. Best of all, a wonderful restaurant featuring organic and local food is on the premises (not open on Sundays and not for dinner on Mondays).
The walk from the village to the resort is less than 10 minutes and very beautiful in spots - passing church, cemetery and tree-lined lane. Also, the Forge is midway between the resort and Rathcoole, a village with a large green park and a great shop, Avoca, for gifts for self and others (nothing at all like this in resort, unless you're a golf fiend).
Florence, the proprietress, was friendly enough and able to help us with transportation into Dublin, either via Brian's taxi service (who actually didn't charge us for trip from resort where shuttle had dropped us and the Forge) or via public transport.
My only regret re: Forge is there was no bathtub, although room did have shower with plenty of hot water. Also no alarm clock (although none at Citywest either which reportedly had spotty wake-up service). But internet free and reliable (Citywest patrons were complaining about their wireless speed).
My room faced the busier street but it quieted down at night. (I wore earplugs just in case...) I was able to sleep well at night and during afternoon nap, too. Bed was very comfortable (double and single in my room and my friends). All for total of 177 euro for four nights.
I highly recommend this alternative to Citywest - for charm, solitude and price.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MegBaltimore
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2007

This is a modern, purpose built guest house on the outskirts of Dublin in Saggart village. I understand it won a tourist award last year.All eighteen rooms are like 3 to 4 star hotel rooms - all with en suite shower, toilet and free Wi-Fi connections. Food available if required. There is a nearby golfcourse and the famous CityWest Hotel is only 300 yards away. Cost me 55 euros a night single occupance but double occupancy (the same room) would have cost 85 euros. The Forge Guesthouse, Saggart Village, Co Dublin, Ireland.
Tel: 01 458 9226 Fax: 01 458 7592 and you can book on line theforge.ie

• Liked — clean, modern
  • Disliked — best to have a car for transport needs. On the outskirts of Dublin
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank gilliatj
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saggart
KingsWood Hotel Citywest
Louis Fitzgerald Hotel
Louis Fitzgerald Hotel
#1 of 7 in Clondalkin
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,121 reviews

Been to The Forge Guesthouse? Share your experiences!