“Such a good community spirit here”
Review of Skerries Mills

and up
Dublin Pass with Hop-On Hop-Off Tour and Entry to Over 30 Attractions
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Skerries
More attraction details
Owner description: Skerries Mills is a unique collection of two windmills and a watermill with associated mill pond, mill races, wetlands and is an ideal place to visit on a day tripOne of Dublins top tourist attractions.In association with Dublin Tourism, Heritage Island, Houses & Castles of Ireland, Fingal Tourism & Taste of Skerries.Step back in time with our guided tours and see the mill as they were in day gone by with many of the exhibits working. The Mill complex also houses the Watermill Cafe and the Craft Shop which stocks the leading brands in Crafts, Irish Giftware and Souveniers.
Skerries, Ireland
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Such a good community spirit here”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Lovely place to go, always buzzing. Food good and gear surroundings, so much great art to look at and the shop is certainly worth a look through. Really nice seating area with sofas and newspapers etc. all the locals meet pals here for long lunches and chats.

Visited December 2013

• Polish first
sussex
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Interesting”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Have been before and had interesting tour.This time went to see how improvements had come along.Found a book which had our grandparents in so very happy.
Lovely coffee.Everyone very helpful.

Visited October 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“The mill tearoom cafe, Skerries.”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I went to eat in the tea room outdoor café and rarely have I been served such bad quality food in my life. I ordered prawns with chips and the prawns seemed to have been old, the batter rock hard, and to top it all off, the chips seemed to have undergone similar treatment - reheated, deep fried for far too long. Like the prawns, rock hard, even in the middle. I ordered garlic mayonnaise with it. I was served with sweet chilli sauce instead. I had to go back into the main building to get it changed to what I had ordered. That took them five minutes to sort out. Not so much as an apology as if it were my fault, and forget about so much as a smile, not forthcoming. I returned the lot in disgust. Never again. Do not eat here!

Visited July 2013
Dublin
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Fab, informative, interactive - kid friendly - (Paddy) beautiful surroundings”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I spent a lovely couple of hours doing the Skerries Mills tour with the family 1 x gran, 1 x teen, 2 x 8's, and 1 x 4yr old. They all enjoyed this. Gran related to the stories of old. Paddy - our tour guide, kept interacting with the kids, and bringing them back in time through stories, and showing them objects, and the workings of the whole mill. They laughed in disbelief, and thanked the times. Set in lovely surroundings. Well managed. Lady of the coffee shop very friendly. Somewhere off the beaten track, that I wld defo recommend. To finish the day there is nearby playground, walks, beautiful beach, and town centre. Well worth a visit. Good value. Family ticket only €12.50.

Visited July 2013
Vallejo, California
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Authentic experience of old windmills and water mills”
Reviewed 14 March 2013 via mobile

This was one of the most fascinating excursions I've taken to a historical site. When we headed north to Skerries from Dublin, we imagined the tour would take us around the exterior of some old buildings and maybe give us a peek inside. It wasn't anything like that. Not only have the two windmills, the water mill, and the grounds been kept in good condition, but additional artifacts have been brought in to show even more aspects of milling as it was done through the centuries. The water mill can still be operated; we got to go out to see our guide open the sluice gate from the millrace, starting the old wheel turning and, back inside the mill, the mechanism turning the grindstone. We also got to go inside one of the windmills to see how that worked (the windmills don't operate any more, but are maintained in good repair, minus the canvas on the sails). Fascinating and impressive. Our guide was deeply knowledgeable. The tour left us with great respect for the powerful technologies that were practiced on this spot for centuries.

1 Thank JenPacific