“Amazing Jewellery and Silversmithing School !!!”

Wayland's Forge Silversmiths
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I started jewellery making a couple of years ago, and was looking for some tuition to develop my skills further. I came across Waylands jewellery school, and got booked in for a full day. I brought my own silver, and Ed was so helpful in emails regarding the materials I would require for what I wanted to make. When I arrived at the studio on that saturday morning, I was so impressed. Eds studio is so inviting, and situated in the picturesque skerries mills. As soon as I arrived Ed made me feel so welcome, and after an initial discussion about what I would be doing, I started making an anticlastic bangle, a technique I had never done before. Ed helped me through the process every step of the way, and made learning fun and stress free. I was so delighted with my finished bangle, and wear it every day, getting many compliments on it too! The rest of the day was spent making a bowl, again something I had never done before. Ed again helped through the process step by step, answering any questions I had, and explaining everything so clearly. I was absolutely delighted with he finished bowl, and hope to be making many more. I highly recommend waylands jewellery school to qnyone no matter what their skill level, whether you are a complete beginner or hqve some experience already. I travelled from belfast to go to ed's studio, and it was well worth it. I do intend to go back soon, and make another bowl! Since being taught by Ed on this one session, I have really been enjoying practising and experimenting with anticlastic raising, making silver pendants, rings and bangles at home, using all that Ed taught me during that one day. So if you arethinking of learning silversmithing and/or jewellery making, dont hesitate to get in touch with Ed!! :)

1  Thank Carolina7871

Reviewed 23 June 2013

I had heard from various friends of "the silversmith in Skerries" who ran classes in silversmithing and eventually got around to investigating for myself.... It is now located in Skerries Mills with ample parking, restaurant, toilet facilities... While many people do a single class to experience the pleasure of making a simple piece (which I did myself on the first day)
it's been thoroughly worthwhile and a pleasure to meet and be mentored over the last few weeks by the proprietor, Ed Cook.
An original date for a couple would be to visit the studio having wandered Skerries wonderful beaches in search of sea glass to turn into a one off special piece of jewelry .... I spend a few days searching and now have a list of pieces I would like to make.. :-)

1  Thank Ray W