My wife and I spent two nights in Inis Meain in late March. The quality of the accommodation was excellent, the best I have stayed in while holidaying in Ireland. I do not have enough superlatives to describe how good the views from the room were, the quality of the food in the restaurant and the warmth of Rurai's welcome. A packed lunch provided in the morning (again, delicious) allowed us to wander around the back of the island for an entire day, a thoughtful touch as there was not much else available. The second day we cycled around small lanes with dry stone walls, eventually ending up on a beach watching birds with the binoculars provided alongside our lunch.
The island itself is fantastic. A landscape that is totally different to anywhere else, even that of Connemara across the water, a habitat rich with birds and rare flowers, and background noise mostly free of machines (cars etc) - just birds, wind and waves.
It is an expensive stay, without a doubt, but it is excellent value and definitely worth it. There is no other experience I have found that even comes close.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Inis Meain is one of the Aran Islands, 15 miles off the west coast of Ireland. It is just 3 miles across and supports 160 inhabitants. Ruairi & Marie-Therese de Blacam created Inis Meain Restaurant & Suites to enhance visitor's appreciation of the island by providing a style of accommodation and dining that is complimentary to the location. The suites are simple and understated in styling, with ample space and views. The restaurant serves mainly island-sourced food. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Inis Meain Restaurant And Suites
- Inis Meain Restaurant Hotel Inishmann
- Inis Meain Restaurant & Suites Ireland/Aran Islands